Quantcast

Trail Dog

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Thinking about getting a mutt to follow me on the trail. Looking for a dog that will be able to log lots of oregon miles and not spend too much time with the vet. Any suggestions?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
rhodesian ridgeback....visla....recue try rescue groups....

quote from the owner...

Finally, a ride with the dogs is for the dogs, if you want to hammer a ride out for your fitness, don't bring dogs. They won't last over time.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Rescue a pooch from the pound...medium size breeds seem the best trail dogs.
this.
for trails I would go for a lab mix.

my lab mix is the best trail dog....as long as we are hiking. she sticks to the trail, off leash, can be controlled by voice, if she sees hikers coming at us she waits with us, she has a great sense of direction & has lead us back to the truck a couple of times.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I second the Lab mix trail dog, My dog is a lab/ pointer/ and sheppard and she is the best trail dog. Just make sure they stay with you. Take a little bit of training but I have seen people go out on rides with dogs and they turn into search and rescue missions.

Or you could be cool like the Atherons and ride with a hawk......

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Smart, furry, and lazy.
Weird, that's what I have as my personality summary on Tinder.

Anyway, another vote for a lab mix, which in this case is a lab/corgy combo. Mutha fucka can roll, and is one of the most athletic dogs I've ever seen as evidenced by him (somewhat inadvertently) sending a sizeable gap jump while following me. And yeah, like his old man, he's all about skipping the lander and going to flat. His only main vices are a penchant for dick punching my friends (@SuboptimusPrime will vigorously attest to this) and needing to get some solid exercise everyday, else there can be a child's toy mauled in protest.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A rescue is the right thing to do. Any kind of reasonably athletic, reasonably smart, medium-sized pooch will work. Aussie cattle dogs, border collies, and lab mixes are great. Preferable to get something lean and light. Be careful about getting something big and heavy. Serious trail use will destroy their hips and other joints, which can shorten lifespan and, in any case, make for some pretty rough later years.