Quantcast

trail helmets

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Is there a good Full Face trail helmet ?

I run a TLD. It is light and fits great. The intake port on the mouth is key for keeping airflow smooth while pedaling up...

Here is the problem it has a ventilation system. but, it sin't the best.

I may keep it for DH and get a new trail helmet. But, which one ?

What makes a good trail helmet ?

I say a large intake port or ports coupled w/ good exaust vents (everywhere) and a removable liner ( you sweat if it is an actual trail ride)

What's your take on FF trail helmets ?

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Xen is cool. But kind of an XC lid.

Seems like there isn't a trail type FF.

edit: Thanks for the Spec. Deviant info. Seems like just what the doctor ordered. 899gm, vented, good intakes.

Now I need $350 for the Carbon---yikes.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
if you're on a budget, the pryme AL helmet is cheap...60 bucks.

the chinguard is too close to my face, but it might fit you. it's much more ventilated than most full face helmets.

on mtbr.com someone posted photos of how they removed some of the padding in this helmet and made it better for riding trails.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
mad max is decent.. if you have a dremel and can use it decently you could punch a few more vents in the top and back of the shell as there are cut out's in the liner where you could put them

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
im a fan of my mad max. ohh and now they have a carbon version out that is about 190 so it keeps it light and on a budgets just for the budget concioncous freerider.

ohh and fiddy not very wise to cut away at the shell of a helmet. the helmet is desingned for protection and ventilation. if you go and start hacking away at the protective shell it weakens the structural integrity of the shell and bye bye head. no fun.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I wear a Triple-8 skate helmet (basically a Pro-Tec) most of the time, but I am a big fan of Giro helmets. They fit great, and seem to make a helmet for every style of riding you can think of. I have their Mad Max II full-face, and it breathes better than any full-face I've ever ridden, and a lto of the guys I ride with wear Giro's "freeride/trail" helmet, whatever is happens to be called. I just couldn't justify the cash for a Troy Lee.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I use a bell faction 1/2 face for xcish type trails, urban riding, dir jumping an I have FF 661 polycarbonate helmet (forgot what its called, its below the bravo). It has pretty good ventilation.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
frznnomad said:
ohh and fiddy not very wise to cut away at the shell of a helmet. the helmet is desingned for protection and ventilation. if you go and start hacking away at the protective shell it weakens the structural integrity of the shell and bye bye head. no fun.
i totally understand the dynamics of the helmet design. the inner styrofoam liner has the holes in it. it looks just like their xc lids. its just the glass shell covers a bunch of em. i was gonna cut away some of the glass to expose the holes through the liner