Quantcast

Trail ideas: wood & concrete?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I am hoping y'all can help me with some photos of cool, new ideas for wood or concrete features at our dirt jumps.

I have seen dirt spines and dirt quarter pipes. I've seen wooden roll-in platforms. I've seen wooden wallrides at both 26" freeride parks and DJ trails. In the Trails Are Shouting vid, one of the UK spots has a wooden quarter at the end of a stretch of jumps. I don't think I've seen much concrete used in building DJs.

Spines, quarters and wallrides made of dirt require lots of maintenance, and I'm building at a public spot that gets tons of traffic.

I want to see what we can do with wood and concrete.... while still keeping the focus on nice dirt sets. I'm not interested in wooden kickers or mtb freeride type stunts. The use of wood/concrete will only be for building stuff that we can't build (or maintain) with dirt.

The idea here is to bring a few freestyle and park features to the dirt... and keep the features durable.

Thanks a lot!
-Rob

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
not that you should put this at your spot...but it was a cool photo when it came out.

http://www.23mag.com/gens/castillo.htm

Icepick between a set of doubles on the cover of Ride US #43 september 1999.
Mark Losey, Ride US #100 : During issue 43, Brian Castillo decided to icepick grind a homemade bar between a set of doubles, about night feet up. We got a good sequence on the first day, but after looking at the photos we decided that it needed to be shot again with a medium-format camera for the cover. Castillo wasn't too happy to shoot again, but the next day he met me back at the trails and went to work. It was cloudy on the second day but the photo still came out great. Then in some strange twist, we wound up using a single frame out of the original sequence as the cover instead. The other photo didn't get wasted, though, since Brian used it on the cover of the Volume catalog.
Brian Castillo, Ride US july 2006 : The cover photo of the September, 1999 issue of me icepick grinding a handrail between a set of doubles is probably my favorite. I started Volume Bikes that year and getting the cover with that shot meant a ton to me at the time. I always wanted to try a street trick at the jumps. The original shot that came out was way better than the cover shot, but Brad [McDonald] didn't like the gloominess of it or something. I looked dark and scary in that shot and I was wearing a Metallica shirt, too. Man. I love that shot.

Last edited:

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
ted's backyard had the nicest 'creted berm i ever saw. i can't find the pic though.

on what scale are you thinking of building with concrete? like bowls and quarters or little nibs?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Not sure yet the scope of it, but it will definitely be on the smaller side... no bowls or bigtime skatepark stuff.

Think waist high banks or a quarter just big enough to ride on a 26". Some type of rail or railroad tie for stalls, picks, pedal grinds could happen. Perhaps integrate it into a dirt funbox.

I've also noticed all the "temporary" ledges/curbs at Brooklyn Banks, MB park, under the BQE... bringing in some of those marble slabs could be another option. They are super tough and pretty much immobile.

This is all just pie in the sky at the moment, but I want to see if we can come up with some original and progressive features and make em happen.

The trouble with concrete is what to do when you want to move or demo it for a park redesign.

-r

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
CMC - we already have a 3' handrail at our spot that we have yet to truly utilize... don't worry... it will happen!

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Damn. Does that wallride link in with the rest of the line?
It used to be at the end of the line. You would hit that big double back there by the two trees, then go into a 90 degree berm jump that lead you up to a lip into the wall ride.

We had a heavy rain storm last winter and that line got washed away. There's a creek back in those trees that basically turned into a river. Went spent almost all year building a new line, up farther from the creek... no wall ride, but it's a fun line with back to back opposite hips.

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
you could never go wrong with a good dirt/quik-crete quarter. hitting a dirt quarter is one of the funnest things I have ever done, and I could never see a public spot getting shut down because of one