Quantcast

Trail Mix Pedal Mod

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Got some unsealed odyssey trail mix pedals.... didn't like how exposed the inboard bearings were,
or how freely they spun. So I put some O-Rings on the spindles, and they are now 100% better!
They stay put really well when I take my feet off, and they are now very much sealed up from dirt or water getting in.
If you have or want some of these, get to your local hardware store and pick up some O-Rings.

Attachments

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's a pretty simple and sweet mod. just a question... is there enough space to fully accommodate the o-ring? I'm just curious how long it will take to wear out (not really a big deal, o-rings are cheap).

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
that's a pretty simple and sweet mod. just a question... is there enough space to fully accommodate the o-ring? I'm just curious how long it will take to wear out (not really a big deal, o-rings are cheap).
The o-ring fits pretty snugly. It also rides on a slight concave in the spindle, it's almost as if it were designed for it! I can't imagine it will wear out anytime soon unless it somehow dries up and shreds somehow.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I run those peds on my 20, I might have to try that. What about for the outside bearings? Would it work for those?
It would be tougher to do on the outside, since there is not really any good spot for the 0-ring to be placed. If all you wanted to do was seal them in real well, you could maybe put a real thin o-ring on the plastic cap.
t1maglio said:
Just wondering, can you get sealed versions? Dan's doesn't have them, but I like the new design.
http://www.danscomp.com/465131.php Not sure they are going to be worth double the price, especially with how nice the unsealed are with the o-rings.

minibiker

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
Apparently the Canadian Tire here doesn't carry that size. :disgust: And yes, it is the only hardware store around. Can you think of something else I could do because I know my pedals wont last to long once i hit the dirt.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon