Quantcast

Trail recommendations

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
This is sorta last minute but some help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for a trail to ride with my dad for an overnight camping trip. We are planning on trying bike camping. We are looking for these things in a trail:

Not insanely hard (my dad is only a casual biker)
Within ~<4 hours drive or less of the Kitsap peninsula (probably in the cascades)
We would prefer someplace that allows dogs

We are hoping for a maybe 3-4 hour ride out then camp, then ride back the next day...It could be a bit longer probably, I'm not sure how things will work out, we've hiked a plenty but never bike camped.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Tough call this time of year. There's a lot of snow up high if you're looking for a 3-4 hour out. You could probably put together some rides in the Teanaway (Jack Creek Road to Teanaway Ridge to Iron Bear, camp up higher towards Miller Peak.), or up Devil's Gulch and down Mission Ridge. Camping up at the top as the views are pretty great there.
Same with the climb up Sun Top. (The other side of the road on Corral still has snow I hear.) On your side, a Dungeness River/Gold Creek Loop would work. Camp some place nice up top.
I can't imagine any place off trail having an issue with the dog.

If you really want to go easy. The John Wayne Trail would work but I don't know if the trail through the tunnel at the pass is open yet. Ride out to Easton, camp, and ride back. Feel like you need a shot of Testosterone? Just hit lower 38 on the way back while you're dad waits at the rail grade. Milage and altitude would help too.

Up North you could ride around Blanchard, find a place to camp and then ride back down. Lots of options there.

Lastly, in your part of the state you could put together a fun ride in Capitol Forest. I'm not sure about camping restrictions but you should be able to mix and match there for something good.
The south end people here should have better options there. Oly?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i think a good one would be the Cooper River/Pete Lake trail in Salmon La Sac near Roslyn. Trail is clear now and you can camp at the lake. Pretty popular camp spots with a lot of fisherman though. And the trail is pretty technical for a casual rider, rocks, roots etc etc...

If you want something close and probably more ideal you should shoot down to Shelton and do South Fork Skokomish trail. There are some campspots across the river. Trail will be good for a casual rider, but it will still be fun for an advanced rider. Some really cool old growth.

If any of this sounds interesting lemme know and i'll shoot you more info...

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Lewis River: I think if you're bike camping, you may be able to get away with it here and there. Probably better farther up stream. There are lots of trails in that area but i would not gauge them as "novice".
Skooks is right about Pete lake/Salmon La Sac. I believe the SLS campground is closed for repairs this summer though. Not that it matters...

Another local ride would be Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie. Lots of impromptu places along the way and you could actually start on the CCC road and make a real ride of it. (Odd days on the MFT, of course...) thge river crossing at the hot springs should be burly right now. But, the crossing on Burnt Boot Creek below if you ride all the way up shouldn't be too bad. Options, options....

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Thanks for the info everyone, we're thinking about the S. Fork of the Skok, but that's the fallback plan now, because we've been there so much. My parents took us "hiking" there when I was still in diapers :D I grew up hiking the S. Fork

I'm sending you a pm asking for more infor about the Pete lake trail Skooks, my dad would love a place he can fish near camp.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
click for map

i start at the Lower Trailhead Parking lot and ride to the dot, then back. There are 2 spur trails that go to the road towards the end of Pete Lake Trail, they are pretty burly, if you ride them expect your dad to walk and do it counter clockwise. Meaning take the first trail to the right to the road, ride road down to the second spur trail then ride downhill back down to Pete Lake trail (1323).

To get there

Just hit 90
Take exit 80 Salmon La Sac
Take a left because you pretty much have to anyways...
Head NE until you get to 903, or if this is too confusing just take the road that goes to Roslyn.
Follow that road to the very end
You'll see a forest road heading to the right up a hill, ignore that (but oh my goodness there is some great riding up there when the snow melts.....)
Anyways cross the bridge and ignore any spurs, ride the road to the end and you'll come to a parking lot for 3 trails. Stay on the trail that follows the river to the left.

Cooper Lake is where you can camp, you can park there if you want too. But you have to take a left across the first bridge, there's a sign there directing you to Cooper Lake if you choose to go that route.

Also the trail thru Cooper Lake is open to bikes and is pretty fun, but it's a little hard to navigate. You might wind up in someone else's campspot but that will be fine especially if it's where the Swedish Bikini Team is camped.

Welp hope you have fun.

And when you get to this rock it's pretty fun to play on, there is another rock to the left of the trail that has a pretty cool little viewpoint.

HTnickS

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
North Bend WAShington
Borneo said:
Lewis River: I think if you're bike camping, you may be able to get away with it here and there. Probably better farther up stream. There are lots of trails in that area but i would not gauge them as "novice".
Skooks is right about Pete lake/Salmon La Sac. I believe the SLS campground is closed for repairs this summer though. Not that it matters...

Another local ride would be Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie. Lots of impromptu places along the way and you could actually start on the CCC road and make a real ride of it. (Odd days on the MFT, of course...) thge river crossing at the hot springs should be burly right now. But, the crossing on Burnt Boot Creek below if you ride all the way up shouldn't be too bad. Options, options....
kinda thread jack but are there really hot springs out on middle fork? Ive heard myths but no one whos actually been there.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Borneo said:
Yes, Goldmeyer Hot Springs. Clothing optional. So, be wary of who you bring there....:clue:
From what i understand it's free to go there, but if you pay you get reservations and the right to kick other people out.

And i've also been there so it does exist...