Quantcast

Trail storys

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
hey i was wondering how many of you guys have some cool trail storys. My story is one that happened two weekends ago.I was coming to the end of a trail, and my bell had recently fell off my bike because i had crashed, and a hiker comes up to me picks me up by my armor and startes saying f**k you and things like that, right to my face because i did not have a bell. i told him palitley what had happened and why i did not have a bell and that i was sorry and all he said in respond was."if i ever see you or your friends on this trail again without a bell i am going to throw rocks at you and spike the trail!" Right then i probably would have pushed him off of me, but the hickers are already trying to making it imposible for bikers to ride the local trails (Like puting bolders in the way of the trail, and complaning to the county), so i just ignored it and finished up the ride.

Do any of you guys have a story like that. If you do, share it i want to make sure i am not the only one.

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
Picked you up? What are you 12. When your bell falls off (allegedly), try riding slower, so you don't spoil it for the rest of us.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Adam Novatt said:
yes he did
Is this the incident that was "discussed" in the 5050 thread? You all have some serious user conflict issues up in SB. You would think that the bell program would help to satisfy the hikers and that they would be nicer.

Down here in Pasadena at Mt. Wilson there is an old lady that yells at bikers. She'll cuss you out and tell you the trails are closed to bikes (they aren't) and all that. Luckily she sticks to one trail and most of us avoid that one anyway since it's filled with hikers. personally I wear a bell when riding multi use trails (Well, I TRY to wear it everytime. Sometimes I forget), it seems to help with the user conflict thing. Sadly though many hikers and policy makers seem to forget that we have as much right to use the trails as they do.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i was riding porcupine rim in moab utah this spring, and my buddy toasted his rear deralluier. We pulled up and were in the process of making it single speed for the rest of the ride when this pack of chicks rolled by and stopped to chat. Mind you, one was this fine looking blonde wearing spandex and looking good too. Well in the middle of our conversation she leans over and blows this huge snot rocket onto a flat rock. keeps talking like nothing happened. I remember telling her something like "i think i'm in love" or "thats the hottest thing i've ever seen"

whats this about bells on bikes? like a cow bell that jingles as you ride?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah... let me make this clear i am not twelve. this guy was just really pissed off and i was on a cliff edge and didn't want to loose my bike so i held on to it instead of pushing him away. i ride with a cow bell 90 percent of the time.

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
boostindoubles said:
i was riding porcupine rim in moab utah this spring, and my buddy toasted his rear deralluier. We pulled up and were in the process of making it single speed for the rest of the ride when this pack of chicks rolled by and stopped to chat. Mind you, one was this fine looking blonde wearing spandex and looking good too. Well in the middle of our conversation she leans over and blows this huge snot rocket onto a flat rock. keeps talking like nothing happened. I remember telling her something like "i think i'm in love" or "thats the hottest thing i've ever seen"
omg thats funny as crap :D :D :D :D :D

ahhahahahahahah omg i cant stop laughting

#2 I was downhilling in vail when some FAT XC rider was riding w/ his dog (off leash might I add). So I was riding down the fire road to the 94 worlds track, and this guys dog comes bareling at me. I couldent stop in time to avoid hitting the thing and gently bumped him.
I kindly told him that vail had leash law and that he chould keep better controol of his dog.
The guy told me to F-off and it became a heated dispute.
As we were argueing a trail matinance truck came by and decided to intervien. I told him the story and he gave the guy a $1,000 fine on the spot.

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
I was backpacking on the Appalachian Trail and was off on a side trail kinda lost and came across a hillbilly in a barn on a stool fuucking a horse. No lie.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I dont know about you but if some damn fool grabbed me I would have to teach him some manners. No real incidents here, except once when I was coming out of a trail head some guy just started yelling at me because i was a young hooligan on a bike that was dangerous to people who walk like him or something. I was going like 4 miles an hour, not sure where that came from...then again I could hear him talking to himself before he even saw me.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I have another story. After that last trail ride where my brother got picked up by a guy, our friends and us went on the trail again hoping that their wouldn't be anymore hikers. This time though we rode late at like sun down and didn't see any mean hikers, but we did see traps for riders. The hiker we are guessing put rocks in the middle of the trail to try and make riders fall, and they also made a fake pass to try and get the riders lost, but the worst part was that we saw evedince of a line of ribbon that the hikers must have put across to try to close line the bikers of their bike. It looked like it worked or some nice hiker removed it for us. That is just some scary ****ed up ****.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
-saw 4 bears in one ride, while riding by myself

-saw a lynx cub in the grass next to the trail... no mother, by myself again

-had a huge white dog chase me and bite my leg armor and he was on a leash dragging the owner

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
onetime when i was urban riding downtown chicago with some buddies some girl shouted out "youre gay" to us from her car (there something homosexual about 12 foot stair gaps?), she didn't realize that theres traffic, so i caught up to her pretty easily, stopped right next to her window and just stared at her for about 20 seconds, and i'm kind of a creepy looking guy (6 foot 6 goatee and such). I think i sufficiently scared her, lol.
________
Hotels In Mexico City

Last edited:

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Not really a trail story, but here we go:

I was riding my fixed-gear roadie in town, on one of the few roads that is downright hostile to bikes, with absolutely no room for bikes and no bike lanes. Cars are passing me on the left and this one pulls up with the back window down, and these jackass kids point a big squirt gun out of it and spray me. I was mad and would have confronted them at the stoplight if they didn't have a squirt gun.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
well i don't hae any real storys about my rides, but one of the xc trails i ride on. one day somebody decided to put some piano wire across a fast section of the trail and i think that 2 people actually hit the wire at speed. i know it just about killed one guy. he had to be heli vaced out of the trails with his guts hanging out of him. the person how placed the wire was never found.

also there are some stories of some simuaar thing up at a place called the shed ( thing wooden spikes in the ground) no one hurt that i have heard of on that account

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
Yea they guy that picked up zmtber was really crazy and using really bad words, " Get some ****ing bells morons, get ****ing bells blablablaa." So i told his wife that her husband had quite a foul mouth and she laughed! The guy really did not pick zmtber by the armor(close to imposible weighing at 208lbs) but he did yell alot and grab him. I was laughing at the time, if he touched me i would have pushed him off the 30 ft cliff into the dry river.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
pangeist said:
I was backpacking on the Appalachian Trail and was off on a side trail kinda lost and came across a hillbilly in a barn on a stool fuucking a horse. No lie.
The person must have been making an ass of himself then. :nuts: :D

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
The piano wire thing is starting to terrify me. There are a lot of places I ride that people don't want mountain bikes in, and some of them are the kind of people that would do that too. :eek:

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yeah the piano wire is about the worst because it is thin and darkly colored mose of the time so you cant see it. also for those of you that don't know the wire is also increable strong and most likely will not break. it really is scary to think about and to think i still ride that trail to date :rolleyes:

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Strung tightly, piano wire could mess you up. When you're going downhill at 15+ mph it will have an effect on whatever part of the body it hits. It won't just clothesline you.