Quantcast

Trail Tools

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Forestry supply.
This.

They've got the corona ones for like 54 bucks which is crazy good.

I finally broke my 14 year old a few days ago so I've been looking too.

Thanks, those are a bit pricy for me though. Like to keep it under $50, if that's even possible.
See above. Buy a real one. There's all kinds of cheap crap out there for under 50 bucks. Seriously........they're a reason most of the good ones are more expensive.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
^Own both. The rogues are rad for digging up roots and burly bush stuff but once you're into some dirt, the width of the mcleods can't be beat. I wish rogue made a much wider one with a longer handle. I love the thick steel on those things. I just don't love dulling them out from trenching rocky dirt.

edit: oh wait, that's a new one isn't it? I think mine only has 4 prongs. How wide is that 5 poker? That actually looks like exactly what I was talking about.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
edit: oh wait, that's a new one isn't it? I think mine only has 4 prongs. How wide is that 5 poker? That actually looks like exactly what I was talking about.
Yes, I have the smaller one too. Might get the wider one this spring. We are always in roots and rocks here so I have to resharpen almost every time I go out.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'd still use the little one I have for bushy and rooty stuff but a McLeod with a thick steel head like that would be rad. I wouldn't even mind dulling that one up. I just want a McLeod with thicker tongs that don't bend.

That's for the heads up!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I like the rogue stuff especially the 5 prong hoe/rake tool. I like the long straight handle for the rake/hoe but they have some nice hoes with curved hickory handles. They are boss for swinging in bench cuts. The Nupula mcleods are pretty good tools. Light weight but after a while the rubber bushing between head and handle loosens up a bit. We recently bought a pile of various rogue implements. They're badass but can dull quickly. If the tool will be used alot it pays to buy quality.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd still use the little one I have for bushy and rooty stuff but a McLeod with a thick steel head like that would be rad. I wouldn't even mind dulling that one up. I just want a McLeod with thicker tongs that don't bend.

That's for the heads up!
ask them if they'll give you an AARP discount

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Wait until Ice choppers go on sale at Ace Hardware. Heat up the blade with a torch and bend it in a vice. Take the handle off first. Be careful as you heated it up with a torch. Metal gets hot and glowy when you heat it up with a torch. Glowy metal burns are the worst. Be careful. Go to the feed store and buy a rake like the ones they use to clean the feed troughs with. They are very sturdy. I have chopped rats with them. Slices right through the little bastards.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Wait until Ice choppers go on sale at Ace Hardware. Heat up the blade with a torch and bend it in a vice. Take the handle off first. Be careful as you heated it up with a torch. Metal gets hot and glowy when you heat it up with a torch. Glowy metal burns are the worst. Be careful. Go to the feed store and buy a rake like the ones they use to clean the feed troughs with. They are very sturdy. I have chopped rats with them. Slices right through the little bastards.
We don't get enough ice for those down here.

You're about 25 years late on the torch safety class jd. But thanks anyway, already burned myself more times than I can count. The smell is the worst though, like burnt steak.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
We don't get enough ice for those down here.

You're about 25 years late on the torch safety class jd. But thanks anyway, already burned myself more times than I can count. The smell is the worst though, like burnt steak.
I need some hinges and other assorted hardware for the tree house. If I see a chopper I'll buy you one. I'll send it to you without the handle as I need a new one. Just buy the handle and you're good to go. I recommend you buy a Craftsmen handle as if it breaks they will replace it for free. Ace now sells craftsmen stuff.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have to say that after hustling my ass off cutting fire line with both the Pulaski and McLeod, carry a freaking file. nothing sucks worse than a dull tool. Use blue painters tape to mask the blade in transport so you don't cut the crap out of yourself. The first few whacks into the dirt will make short work of the tape. Did I mention that cutting fire line sucks big time, especially on hard dry dirt.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I have one with a rogue hoe/pick head. It's so awesome for working on spots that are deep in the trails. It's not a solid handled tool and feels that way. It won't replace the other tools we use but for its purpose, so worth every penny.
I definitely like the concept of tools that can be carried in a pack. I take this along after storms: