Quantcast

Trail Tools

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
And then you have a shitty garden hoe you could have bought for 20 bucks.

What am I missing here? I have a garage with several ice chippers and the thought of spending 60 bucks on a real still sounds like a good one.
Here on the east coast shipping on a real mcleod and the purchase would equal a significant expense. I was just trying to be helpful. I rescind my offer, and defer to your gracious contribution that you surely will be will spell out for Angry. How gracious of you....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hmm. This thread may have inspired me to make my own. No plasma cutter but I might be able to use a cutting electrode with my stick welder. Could even go as far as hardfacing the cutting edges.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Regardless of whether you make your own out of a wok or order a $300 model, I think it rad that you're actually getting a trail tool and that a goodly number of monkeys have spent a substantial amount of time using said trail tool. In my part of the marble, it seems like 1% (or less) of the riders do 99.9 (or more) of the work. That's why I identified so well with Mittens.

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't have an additional suggestion on Mcleods as there are plenty of options mentioned already. But for 90% of trail maintenance and building I work on, the Rogue Hoe 70H is my go-to tool. My experience with Mcleods in generally compacted, rooty/rocky east coast soil was not positive, but I have 0 complaints about the Rogue Hoe. Some of my building crew tried the 80 or 85 hoes (wider) but had issues with them breaking the heads off while bench cutting.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I finally got to see the corona brand mccleods. The first time I've ever seen one in a hardware store. I bought it because I'm in need at the moment but those things are definitely not as burly as the 75 dollar one I bought over a decade ago. The handle is fine but the head is thinner plate steel.

Just throwing that out there. It's also what the trail boss heads are, before they cut them down (seriously, WTF is up with that?). I at least have proper width head for my collapsible trail boss thing now.......

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
No experience with Ben Meadows but lots with ordering direct from Rogue. I've been rocking the Travis tool the last few months and have been digging the versatility of it. ;)

22737.jpeg

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yes. I bought that exact tool from them. (And also my old regular rogue hoe with the curved hickory handle). Great experience, and the one you pictured is flat out incredible.
Right on.

I've been debating between the Rogue 70HR and the Nupla Mcleod. The only advantage to the Nupla is the fiberglass handle and cheap price. Which ever one I get is going to be stashed trail side on some if not many occasions. If I get the Rogue I'll put a few coats of outdoor polyurethane on the handle and find a camo stuff sack to protect the head.

The prices at Ben Meadows put the Rogue a little more within reach.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
You can get the Rogue with a fiberglass handle if you wanted. I also have a Nupla and it's a good hoe. The hoe/handle interface has a big bushing in it and over time it's picked up some wobble. It's not a terrible amount of play but that sort of thing drives me batty. The teeth on the Nupla give more than the Rogue when prying on rocks and such. For what it's worth I think because the Nupla is a flat hoe it makes a better tamper than the concave shape of the Rogue.

Hard to go wrong either way. Cheers

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
You can get the Rogue with a fiberglass handle if you wanted. I also have a Nupla and it's a good hoe. The hoe/handle interface has a big bushing in it and over time it's picked up some wobble. It's not a terrible amount of play but that sort of thing drives me batty. The teeth on the Nupla give more than the Rogue when prying on rocks and such. For what it's worth I think because the Nupla is a flat hoe it makes a better tamper than the concave shape of the Rogue.

Hard to go wrong either way. Cheers
Yeah I know the Rogue has a fiberglass option. Being made by a small US company that cares about quality, it just seems wrong to use anything other than a wood handle. Also bright yellow is not very desirable to gnomes.

Good to know about the tamping aspects, thanks. The trail system in question is old school singletrack, so no buffing required. Most of it was built simply by waiting until winter and raking just past the leaves. Not much digging involved.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
yellow and other dayglo are good when you're absent minded, bring more than one tool to work in an area, and there are leaves on the ground . . . tamping ability is good i you're building jumps and berms. i have the nupla one and it's lasted a long time but it gets dull fast when benching in rox. i taped a split tennis ball on the end to help with cushion/grip when tamping. the rogue hoe one is great as an overall badass cutting/digging tool.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just got the Silky Gomboy and it fits in my 3L Camelback Mule no worries.

On another note - I would never normally endorse anything e-bike but I feel this is a worthy exception

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I guess that we might mention in context that Silkys are not cheap. I think I paid $90 for my Big Boy some years back, and get a replacement blade every year or so for maybe half that.

But sumbitch, does it cut.
My BigBoy is about a year old now and just starting to show signs of dulling. But I've cut a whole lot of logs and branches with it.

It can still get through a 3/4" branch with one pull.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
On another note - I would never normally endorse anything e-bike but I feel this is a worthy exception

No, no it is not.

If you're going to sacrifice ride time for trail work then why not pedal to the work site ? I'm not riding nearly as much as I could, but I'm getting a Hell of a workout hauling tools and moving rocks. By the time these trails are done, I'll probably snap my cranks in half just from clipping in.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
No, no it is not.

If you're going to sacrifice ride time for trail work then why not pedal to the work site ? I'm not riding nearly as much as I could, but I'm getting a Hell of a workout hauling tools and moving rocks. By the time these trails are done, I'll probably snap my cranks in half just from clipping in.
Because I'm not gonna dork up my sweet steed putting a rack for a MFing CHAINSAW on it? Duh.

It's hard enough pedalling with a hoe, plenty of water, a big hat and a folding saw. Taking a chainsaw in would save hours but I just can't be stuffed.

Also, technically you're still pedalling that thing - it just lets you carry a lot more stuff without blowing your knees on the first hill.