Quantcast

trail work report

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
We have a lot of ride reports around here, but not so many trail work reports... so here's mine, if anyone is interested.

Yesterday a bunch of us got together at Jones Park for some trail work. We worked on a new trail to be called the Zig Zag trail (perhaps more appropriately called Jekyl and Hyde) and got a good dent in it completed. The first "half" runs up the side of a hill and has a few switchbacks to keep the climbing manageable (riding it downhill is still flowy and fun, but you gotta be on your toes). The lower portion runs along a creek, and depending on how this is finished up, it could be fast and fun, or lots of ups and downs.

I did some test riding on the upper section as it was completed, and it feels really good. The lower section is still in progress.

There were 5 of us working, and we got about 1/3 of a mile completed, which is probably close to half the trail. The trail will be a big addition to the park - it should be one of the more challenging trails, and it will make a nice bypass to the main access road that runs through the park. More singletrack + less fire roads = :thumb:

The pics didn't turn out that great - I'll see if I can clean them up when I get to work and it doesn't take me 30 minutes to upload them.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
trails look awesome, brungeman and i are in the process of doing the same thing right now...

about 3 miles of stunt filled bliss :love:

we will post up some pics when we get a chance...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
right on Jackson, we have a trail at one of our favorite local riding places Hartwood Acres, called Zig Zag, and it is one of the best flowing trails getting you from top to bottom.

good stuff, Props to you and your coworkers:thumb:

As Manhattan said, we have a bunch of trail we are puttin in too! I will feed off of your pics. I get inspired when I know others are also out contributing!

keep the updates coming.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Damn, wish I took pictures from our trail day in Saturday...a crew of about 10 volunteers raked, cut out blowdown, built 2 reroutes and rebuilt a quarter mile connector trail in the Pittstown SF in (of course) Pittstown, NY. About 8 miles of techy and rocky singletrack awaits the riders of the Capital Region. Now if I could only get the locals from burning signs/cars in Pitstown, that'd be another story...

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
HA! I just reread the 1st thread...tone of the trails in Pittstown is named Zig Zag as wel due the the series of dh switchbacks! The other is Bonnie and Clyde due to the shot out Model T at the end of the trail...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
It was a good day. We met up around 11, and people came and went as they needed - I stayed for about 4 hours. It was my first organized trail building session and everyone was very enviro-conscience, which is good considering we were building in a town park without town permission.

The area this trail is in has a lot of Hemlocks, so the top 6" or so is all really fine intertwined roots that are a pain to clear out. If you leave them, the trail feels very spongy, and the bike doesn't handle like you'd expect... so it's really gotta get cleaned off so you can ride on hardpack soil.