Quantcast

TrailBike -stem and fork set-ups - what are you riding

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
binary visions said:
It's an AC. That's the brand name. They make a chainguide too.. Not sure what else.

Pretty inexpensive/generic brand. It's fine. If it's a 2-bolt faceplate, it'll be flexier than a 4-bolt, but honestly, it's a stem. Pretty simple part - there are nice ones and there are crappy ones but as long as you don't break it, it's probably fine.

If you get the hankering to buy a new one sometime, look for something with a 4-bolt faceplate. I like my Thomson stem, if you're patient when installing it. No bolts to hit your knees on, stiff and strong, and not that heavy. Plus, let's face it, Thomson equipment is beautiful.
The AC is pretty beefy and has a 4 bolt face-plate. But I do have a 90mm X 5 Thomson on the way as well.
:D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Knuckleslammer said:
I hate long stems. Makes the bike look weird (IMO)
I prefer a short stem, 50mm. I have this on my bike now. I can still climb with the short stem, maybee not as good as you though.
Knuck
So clean Knucks - have you gotten that MTX dirty yet??
;)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
stosh said:
Why did you choose thoes lengths?
Well I like my bikes a little on the small side... I dunno why... so when I built the Blur I put a slightly shorter than normal stem on there. I liked it, so I used the same setup for the singlespeed.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:
Well I like my bikes a little on the small side... I dunno why... so when I built the Blur I put a slightly shorter than normal stem on there. I liked it, so I used the same setup for the singlespeed.
Oh ok. Thanks! I have a long stem on a smaller bike at home. I feel so weird to ride... I can't figure out why exactly.... seems like over steering is easy to do...