Quantcast

Trailer Trash Monkies - Advice Needed

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am about to order a 40 foot “manufactured” home for my lake property. The total quoted is in the low 50’s for delivery and installation – after questioning the fee of $1,900.00 for two sets of stairs (I am going to have a deck built the entire length) I am beginning to wonder about some of the other add on charges.

Does anyone have any experience with manufactured housing installation?

Here are the add on fees that I am questioning:

Skirting, SW concrete board - $1771.00
Electrical Meter Base and Feeder to home - $2,187.00
Water & Septic hookup (within 10 Feet) - $1,000.00

These 3 items seem excessively high dollar wise… any tips?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
please clarify type of cement board?
Is this like a hardiboard type of panel?
Is this a mobile home with wheels or will it be laid on a foundation or slab?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
DIY.

Plumbing is easy and electricians arent hard to find. I got money says you got 5 in your trailer park.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
DIY.

Plumbing is easy and electricians arent hard to find. I got money says you got 5 in your trailer park.
In NY you need a licensed elctrician to do some of that work. Also depending on the utility/state the utility company may be responsible for doing some of the hook up.

splat

Nam I am
DIY.

ahhh easy ,but all 3 of those will require permits , and chances are the guy who quoted the work has the in with the local inspector ( read kick backs ) or is the local Inspector himslef. either way piss him off and there is no way he will aprove the permits

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
ahhh easy ,but all 3 of those will require permits , and chances are the guy who quoted the work has the in with the local inspector ( read kick backs ) or is the local Inspector himslef. either way piss him off and there is no way he will aprove the permits
Are you high?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think it depends on local laws, but a permit isnt taken out in the name of who does the work, but by the owner, no?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
True dat. But here in MD you can't even dig post hole for a deck piling with out an inspector checking out your plumb-bob. :brow:
The building permit in my town for a 4'x20' addition to an existing porch is $250.

We just paid $35K for a building permit for a one story commercial building we're doing.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK - this is not in a park but kind of down by the river. As for permits all the requirements have already been met. I think the dealer is also trying to act as a contracter and is adding a nice fee for his services. :monkey:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
This local town changed it's building codes recently to curb the huge McMansions going in. Part of their attack on them was to raise the cost of building permits and base the cost on the square footage in an attempt to keep the median house size smaller.

It's not like a 3500 building permit is going to bother someone building a $800k house!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
OK - this is not in a park but kind of down by the river. As for permits all the requirements have already been met. I think the dealer is also trying to act as a contracter and is adding a nice fee for his services. :monkey:
Well it's hard to say if the costs are correct if we don't know all the details.

I would say do the skirting yourself, it's not going to hold anything up.

The electrical simply ask if you can have your own contractor do it and the same for the plumbing.

This is your vacation home right?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Makes complete sense!

Try to ask your dealer for a cost break down on the items in question.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Makes complete sense!

Try to ask your dealer for a cost break down on the items in question.
Yeah I will do that - I don't know anyone who admits to buying a trailer so no one to ask locally. What bothers me is how can someone offer a flat rate for serivices when all the variables are not known - the only explanation I can come up with is that the fees are excessive enough to cover all contingencies.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
This local town changed it's building codes recently to curb the huge McMansions going in. Part of their attack on them was to raise the cost of building permits and base the cost on the square footage in an attempt to keep the median house size smaller.

It's not like a 3500 building permit is going to bother someone building a $800k house!
Permits on a 5000 sf house cost me less than $600...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You mean it has fake logs for its siding? Dang! I never knew that trailers could be cabins. I guess that means cabins actually are castles.
No fake log siding - that is a pretty expensive option that requires too much maintenance. Anyhow - your wife seems to like my trailer just fine... not to impressed with your castle I guess. :biggrin: