Quantcast

trailforks is now a paid* app

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If they would take them out WTF would you even call that tour?
“The Type 2 diabetic dentists tour. We will fly your fat asses up to the top of a mountain in a plane, so you can sketchily ride your electric bike back to the bottom.“

Is the the ”growth” of the sport everyone was clamoring for?
Yeah there's a park an hour or so away from here that runs shuttles basically only catering for the e-bike crowd.

I'm over growth. We were promised if there were more MTB riders that we'd have increased trail access etc. But all that happens is a bunch of dorks started riding, decided it was hard and got e-bikes, decided it was too technical and asked for flow. And now anytime we get trail funding or new trails it gets funneled into family friendly shite that makes you fall asleep at the wheel when you ride it. And whatever, that's fine - we survived without their help anyway. But now these poor lost souls wander off their "trails for everyone" and get lost on the OG natural trails and next minute they're claiming those trails and asking for them to be "repaired" as they're "unrideable".

I didn't say that.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
“The Type 2 diabetic dentists tour. We will fly your fat asses up to the top of a mountain in a plane, so you can sketchily ride your electric bike back to the bottom.“

Here you go (if you can see it): https://www.facebook.com/tim.crockett.18/posts/4073121302704286

Never In my incredibly wild wildest dreams did I see this mission coming to fruition...Flying out to an active volcano island to hike and ride the most beautiful spine ridge line. Only in Alaska, Only WithinTheWild. Thanks so much Nancy and Zach for the help! @withinthewild @sasquatchalaska @tundrajade7 #volcano #bigmountainbiking #emtbenduro #emtblife #speciaizedbikes #turbokenevo #ohlinssuspension #keepexploring #ringoffire #gofurther

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A few of our trails are actually getting wrecked by people putting in ride-arounds, Strava line or B lines in places where they damage or ruin the existing line. One B line re-enters the trail in the middle of a catch berm from a drop creating a wheel-stopping hole, and another just pushes rocks and crap onto the main line. I don't care if people wanna go around features or whatever, but when they're actually fucking up the main line its frustrating as hell.
I think it's either noobs, idiots or roadies who burn in the b-lines/strava lines.

Around here it's not even really features that's get ridden around, its tight corners, the single hard root, rocks etc etc.. It sucks, these fucks will turn a nice mellow trail winding through pine trees and cut every corner until it's a straight line.

I had enough with it in a local forest and would spend time on every ride blocking and reblocking the lines. One particular corner, I must have had to reblock 5 or 6 times. It wasnt until I put up a sign on a stick in the middle of the rebloxked trail telling them to basically fuck off, that they got the clue. Maybe they just need to be told or made aware of their own asshat doings. That section of trail hasnt changed in over a year since I did that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well hopefully they drop them in a lake.
I think it's either noobs, idiots or roadies who burn in the b-lines/strava lines.

Around here it's not even really features that's get ridden around, its tight corners, the single hard root, rocks etc etc.. It sucks, these fucks will turn a nice mellow trail winding through pine trees and cut every corner until it's a straight line.

I had enough with it in a local forest and would spend time on every ride blocking and reblocking the lines. One particular corner, I must have had to reblock 5 or 6 times. It wasnt until I put up a sign on a stick in the middle of the rebloxked trail telling them to basically fuck off, that they got the clue. Maybe they just need to be told or made aware of their own asshat doings. That section of trail hasnt changed in over a year since I did that.
I observed a lot of widening and braiding of the trails near my old place in Virginia. Those weren't technical enough to require go-arounds. It was hikers trying to walk 2-3 people wide.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
3500ft of climbing with poles and ropes while carrying your bike and wearing full body armour?

Yeah bro. You made your point. You absolutely win. Your "sport" sounds pretty fucking shit to me tho.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC

The unique topography of lakes necessary to operate float planes means that they never take you to the top of anything. They absolutely get people both asking to fly their ebikes in and outraged that they can't fly their ebikes in.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Y'all think you need mountains for this. E-bikes are away ahead of you.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We played this game with Strava recently. Get everybody hooked, then take away features and hide them behind a paywall. I ended up paying for it because I'm a disgusting roadie now and need to check my KOMs 90 times a ride, and my inability to compare myself to other leg shavers took all the fun out of it.

I'd probably rather stick to a paid subscription with no ads rather than an ad supported app that sucks. I hate opening whatever app (like a simple level app) and seeing a buttload of "male enhancement" ads. Sheesh. Unfortunately I don't use trailforks nearly enough to pay for it, but I'm glad it exists and glad to see people supporting them for a service they use regularly.

It seems like subscriptions are going to be a thing now, too. Apple is keen to get you to pay a monthly fee for whatever garbage they're pedaling next, and I'm sure we're going to see more and more of things like that.