Quantcast

trailforks is now a paid* app

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'll pay for it. I travel a fair bit and ride solo so its handy for planning rides, although I don't use it to "log" rides or whatever.. Pricing isn't bad considering what you're getting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, coz registered users of apps never get notified of changes to terms and conditions do they?

At least we all now know the REAL reason you have such an issue with those new fangled expensive Ebikes
Yesterday I saw a video of an old guy who crashed his ebike into a bog, I thought it was you.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Seems like some folks are upset at contributing to a "free" service, and then after said service has reached a sufficient size, being asked to pay a subscription fee.
this is sort of my initial reaction to this news. They get their data from people freely uploading their rides. Then they want those people to pay to use the service? seems like the dog biting the hand that feeds it.

I only ever use the app when I travel. I suppose I'd be willing to pay $1.50 each time I travel. But I may also try and become better acquainted with Strava heat maps.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Companies are generally keen to get on a subscription gravy train. Monthly revenue is probably more certain than annual and the associated smaller increments are easier to for the user base to stomach I suppose.
Yep, hoping people forget they are on a subscription and the gravy keeps coming. Although I have used it on vacation trips, I have no need for it locally, strava and others can get me to the goods (in some cases, even better than Trailforks). I'll be taking it off my phone. The other problem I had, and I never found out the right setting or if it was preventable, was every time I'd go to use the damn thing, it'd want to update, which with sketchy service would basically make it useless. An app like that should never auto-update, but I didn't know how to turn it off. No problem now.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I'm local admin, have contributed a lot to the local data and info, will probably get a free Pro membership because of it, but to be honest, to lock in at 18 bucks a year in perpetuity isn't bad. I use it plenty in places I've never contributed so it's a pretty fair deal, imo. The people bitching the most about paying are still generally those who contribute the least to anything, ever.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
The gps emergency location saved my ass a few weeks ago to get the paramedics to me so I am happy to pay the $18.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
contribute the least to anything
Commie

I already did but this year in particular has made me despise 'contributions' to things like trailforks and strava.

I've never seen so many punters (and in some cases their karen wives and kids) skidding down trails they have zero business on, yelling at people who know what they're doing riding them. Even the guys who built them explaining that they probably shouldn't be on these trails because they're going to get run over. Not even really their fault, they're just looking at 'where the bike trails are' thanks to so many uh.....'contributions.' But ski area dad and karen yelling at people about their 'rights' to be on 'public' trails that are the exact opposite of public trails is kind of a problem.

Americans don't deserve contributions. Too entitled to their services.

Things work better when the people who find trails are the people willing to put 20 minutes of work into finding trails.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
They learn to skid by watching all the pro endurbro riders doing it. Can’t have a video unless you skid into every turn.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Commie

I already did but this year in particular has made me despise 'contributions' to things like trailforks and strava.

I've never seen so many punters (and in some cases their karen wives and kids) skidding down trails they have zero business on, yelling at people who know what they're doing riding them. Even the guys who built them explaining that they probably shouldn't be on these trails because they're going to get run over. Not even really their fault, they're just looking at 'where the bike trails are' thanks to so many uh.....'contributions.' But ski area dad and karen yelling at people about their 'rights' to be on 'public' trails that are the exact opposite of public trails is kind of a problem.

Americans don't deserve contributions. Too entitled to their services.

Things work better when the people who find trails are the people willing to put 20 minutes of work into finding trails.
yea but their right to a medivac!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I've never seen so many punters (and in some cases their karen wives and kids) skidding down trails they have zero business on, yelling at people who know what they're doing riding them.
I can imagine that with real mountains it is easier to build in squirrel catchers at the start of trails, no? Here we are limited by the fact that most of the times you can clear out a ride around a feature too easy.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That reminds me.

I need to drop some trees onto a 'go around' some idiots burned in on something I built.

Squirrel catchers on trails only work with people that have self awareness. Otherwise they just walk around them. Works great on dirtjump lines, not so much on singletrack

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That reminds me.

I need to drop some trees onto a 'go around' some idiots burned in on something I built.

Squirrel catchers on trails only work with people that have self awareness. Otherwise they just walk around them. Works great on dirtjump lines, not so much on singletrack
Usually even the most stubborn folks give up if the have to walk more than 500 meters of trail because they cannot ride a single feature.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
here in Murika' how far they're willing to walk past features is directly proportional to their sense of entitlement.
700' vert hike a bike up 40% grade takes care of the wankers and preserves the alpine goodness.
0134166d00364a2ca58c144bf25b9583b9cfb0f0c2.jpg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
re subscription gravy train, looks like car manufacturers are giving it a go

Will BMW be heading inevitably in the same direction, and will all manufacturers eventually follow suit? They shot themselves in the foot trying to get buyers to pay for Apple CarPlay, something no other manufacturer charges for. “For the 2019 model year, BMW was asking Canadian buyers for $100 per year for Apple CarPlay, unless they wanted to opt for a 20-year subscription for $400,” we said in our follow-up report. “After just a few months, that price has been dropped back down to ‘free.’” Oops.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Until the ebikers find it...
Too steep for E-bikes. I'm confident that these are quite safe. Mid teens for some of the approaches, challenging and where E-bikes can make it possible. But you get up past 25% sustained grades on loose surfaces, nope.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Too steep for E-bikes.
uh?
Mine gets up or down any gradient my Capra does just fine. And anything involving carrying/pushing too. It's not as heavy as my DH bikes from the 90s were. We didn't even have uplift in the UK then so pushing 4+ x 700ft vert was what we did every weekend. With hangovers.
Think I've more than completed my apprenticeship in hiking with ridiculously heavy bikes thanks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
uh?
Mine gets up or down any gradient my Capra does just fine. And anything involving carrying/pushing too. It's not as heavy as my DH bikes from the 90s were. We didn't even have uplift in the UK then so pushing 4+ x 700ft vert was what we did every weekend. With hangovers.
Think I've more than completed my apprenticeship in hiking with ridiculously heavy bikes thanks.
I'll believe that when I see it. Despite how crazy steep an actual 40+% grade is, those lazy enough to ride E-bikes probably aren't motivated enough to hike 20 feet, let alone a sustained hike up such grades.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'll believe that when I see it. Despite how crazy steep an actual 40+% grade is, those lazy enough to ride E-bikes probably aren't motivated enough to hike 20 feet, let alone a sustained hike up such grades.
The e-bikes with a walk mode will pretty much get up anything a human can get up without ropes.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That reminds me.

A few of our trails are actually getting wrecked by people putting in ride-arounds, Strava line or B lines in places where they damage or ruin the existing line. One B line re-enters the trail in the middle of a catch berm from a drop creating a wheel-stopping hole, and another just pushes rocks and crap onto the main line. I don't care if people wanna go around features or whatever, but when they're actually fucking up the main line its frustrating as hell.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A few of our trails are actually getting wrecked by people putting in ride-arounds, Strava line or B lines in places where they damage or ruin the existing line. One B line re-enters the trail in the middle of a catch berm from a drop creating a wheel-stopping hole, and another just pushes rocks and crap onto the main line. I don't care if people wanna go around features or whatever, but when they're actually fucking up the main line its frustrating as hell.

eeeeyup

That phenomenon absolutely ruined the real dh trails on mammoth mountain

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The e-bikes with a walk mode will pretty much get up anything a human can get up without ropes.
Naw, it's the kind of shit that requires ropes for some people, poles, etc. Last time I did it one hiker was remarking that some "guy was hiking with a bike on his back and I'm up here with poles!" Yeah, a 40lb bike may be do-able on some of these, but again, if it's an e-bike bro, I doubt they'd have the motivation to do this, like one is about 3500' and includes several of these ultra-steep fields. They are fun and challenging to come down, full armor affairs, not the kind of stuff anyone has a chance riding up and hiking up, even without a bike, isn't the easiest thing. Like I said, I'm not too concerned about these routes. Others, sure, they'll get to the top no problem, but some of this is going to naturally lock out those with less motivation and equipment disadvantages. I guess maybe some of the problem is some of you think I'm talking about "trails" ;)

That said, we are starting to see the E-bikes in more and more places obviously. They are actually prohibited from the Chugach National Forest trails here, so that's nice. But we have lots of trials in the municipality and they are all out. Gets to be ridiculous, they do laps of trail segments about 1/4 mile long, tame trail, all decked out like it's a 2000' vert DH run.

Last edited:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
@Jm_ I've already run into e-bikes deep out in the South Chilcotins in BC and the float plane company in that area won't take them out, so they had to have ridden and hike-a-biked a long ass way to be where we saw them. They will eventually get anywhere you can get on a regular bike.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
@Jm_ I've already run into e-bikes deep out in the South Chilcotins in BC and the float plane company in that area won't take them out, so they had to have ridden and hike-a-biked a long ass way to be where we saw them. They will eventually get anywhere you can get on a regular bike.

If they would take them out WTF would you even call that tour?
“The Type 2 diabetic dentists tour. We will fly your fat asses up to the top of a mountain in a plane, so you can sketchily ride your electric bike back to the bottom.“

Is the the ”growth” of the sport everyone was clamoring for?