Quantcast

Trails around London

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
Hi everybody, I'm moving to London next year, and I'm wondering if there are dh/fr trails or bike parks around there... or if I'll have to stop riding : (

Also anybody knows which shops deal most with gravity customers?

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Aston hills a bit out, has a few races there, supposedly some pretty good runs. chicksands is nearby for a DJ/4X Fix.

May 6, 2004
Woburn Sands more or less the same distance from London as Chicksands, not DH place but great spot to have some play time on your bike.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
dont get too put off, aston hill has some nice dh runs. when i say dh, its steep ****!

coming from italy, there wont be anything close to what the alps have to offer, but if you are not to picky, there is still good riding. wales is only about 3 hrs away from london 4+ if you are going to mid wales. there is good riding there with uplifts, can always rent a van for the weekend which wont be too expensive as long as you are above 23.

when you say next year, you mean next academic year or 2010? coz i'll be working in london this summer and gonna be riding on the weekends when i can.

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
i mean academic year, i'll be attending a MRes course at imperial college from oct 2009 to sept 2010
maybe we can go ride together when you come to london!

pastcaring

Chimp
Nov 22, 2006
forget bringing your dh bike to london!

aston, porc aren't mountains just little hills:huh: after riding proper mountains
i gave up riding dh in england. wales has the closest dh tracks but no chairlifts, just some lorries/tractors to get you to the top or you push up.:banghead:

bring a ht or bmx, plenty of trails/street/parks

i don't know how the **** england produces so many dh world cup racers?

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
I moved to London (from the US) in September to do a MSc at Imperial and decided just to give up riding for the year. I looked around before I left but it didn't seem like there was much riding around London, so I left the bikes at home. It's definitely not what I would have chosen but I didn't really see any other options. I'm looking forward to going back to my bike in a few months.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
ArthurDH - i wont be in london once you start, but if you wanna come round to bristol join us you are more than welcome! the bristol uni bike club is one of the biggest and most active bike club in the country!

of course dont expect huge ski resorts/uplifts/perfect weather conditions as the other posters in this thread are whining about. but its still good riding and always a good time, that's the whole reason to riding bike anyways, having fun! :thumb:

i don't know how the **** england produces so many dh world cup racers?
i am sure its **** for someone who has been lucky enough to ride on proper mountains with chairlifts.

its easy to see how uk produces good riders. when you have to keep your self motivated to go out riding in ****ty wet and muddy winter conditions, having no uplifts ect. the good riders dont sit around and whine about it, they go out and dig their own trails and get the job done. they are strong mentally.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Mate dont listen to them!!

I love next to London and there is plenty of riding to keep you happy. Yeah its not 5mins runs but they are a good laugh.. Aston is good, Porc is good, There are loads of trails up in the wood on the Downs outside of London, which are sweet.

Aa soon as you get to know some locals you will be sorted :-)

pastcaring

Chimp
Nov 22, 2006
ArthurDH - i wont be in london once you start, but if you wanna come round to bristol join us you are more than welcome! the bristol uni bike club is one of the biggest and most active bike club in the country!

of course dont expect huge ski resorts/uplifts/perfect weather conditions as the other posters in this thread are whining about. but its still good riding and always a good time, that's the whole reason to riding bike anyways, having fun! :thumb:

i am sure its **** for someone who has been lucky enough to ride on proper mountains with chairlifts.

its easy to see how uk produces good riders. when you have to keep your self motivated to go out riding in ****ty wet and muddy winter conditions, having no uplifts ect. the good riders dont sit around and whine about it, they go out and dig their own trails and get the job done. they are strong mentally.

don't be so defensive! the op asked if he should bring a dh bike to london,
i answered.
as for being lucky for riding in the mountains. not luck at all, worked hard, saved money and rode all summer! maybe you should try it?
oh yeah, i've was cutting tracks/building dj when you were still in nappies!

jog on!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
ok, fair enough, having a hard tail is probably makes more sense in london. just saying that if he really wants to ride dh, its just fine.

i am at uni, so i am at a constant state of broke, i am lucky to go home to sunny malaysia for summer, so dont complaint. racing in indonesia and thailand is always great fun!

May 6, 2004
Mate dont listen to them!!

I love next to London and there is plenty of riding to keep you happy. Yeah its not 5mins runs but they are a good laugh.. Aston is good, Porc is good, There are loads of trails up in the wood on the Downs outside of London, which are sweet.

Aa soon as you get to know some locals you will be sorted :-)
Mate, where are you located in London? I am in North London myself.