Quantcast

Trails in Big Bear?

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
I'm heading to Big Bear this weekend, and I'll be bringing my snowboard, but i was wondering if it would be worth it to bring my bike as well.

Obviously i know that Snow Summit is closed to bikes, (and there's snow on the mountain right now) but that's not what i'm asking about. I'm wondering if there are any trails ridable right now around the Big Bear City area. I think i remeber somebody on here lived there. (maybe -BB-)

Downhill is preferred, but any kind of trails will do.

Thanks
-mike

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
there are a lot of XC trails in the area, not so much downhill though. I'd look at the Holcomb Valley area, it's on the north side of the valley so it's on southern facing slopes that should be less snowy than the north facing slopes. This year has been so dry I'm not sure there's any snow anywhere away from snow summit though.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The "Area 51" (or is it 52?) trail in Fawnskin is a nice XC ride...park in Fawnskin near the fire station, take Rim of the World Drive (turns to dirt real fast) for 3 miles or so uphill; take a right when the road splits, towards the boyscout camp. Pass the boyscout camp and enter the Hannah Flats campground, then go to campsite #51 (or 52) and find the singletrack behind it. Follow it; it crosses the road a few times and you can lose it...you should end up heading down at the end at Grout Bay rec area on some fast, fun switchbacks. There's a side trip to Grey's Peak or something, a stiff climb with a nice view.

Good XC riding (techy, for BB, and 95% singletrack) at Rim Nordic ski area across from Snow Valley (I think?) on the LA side of Snow Summit, about 12 miles from Big Bear City. (No, there aren't lifts; it's an XC ski area...)