Quantcast

trails in corvallis...

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
ok, so it looks like the trip to bend will not be happening due to snow levels.

i will be visiting oregon state in corvallis, and would like to do some riding. what kind of trails are in the area? which ones should i check out?

i like dh/fr oriented trails, but have no problem pedaling to the top. man made stunts are always fun, techies are a blast, and smooth fast cruisers are some of the best.

i can go anywhere within about an hour, outside that, unless it is a must-ride, its not too valuble to me on this trip.

morvo11

Chimp
Jun 6, 2006
Washington
blackrock is about a 45 minute drive. i was going to go there when i was visiting osu, but broke my wrist before i was able to. Blackrock has a lot of freeride/dh stuff, including some cool stunts for all ability levels. If you want directions just post a blackrock thread and someone should be able to get you directions. I went and asked some of the shops in corvalis and they don't really have any trails in town. but have fun bro.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I went and asked some of the shops in corvalis and they don't really have any trails in town. but have fun bro.
Huh, that's funny because I live in Corvallis and can be on single track from my front door (on my bike) in about 20 minutes. Not sure which shops you went to. Most of the riding in the area is really hilly, long climbs and long descents. More XC oriented, but there is still some sweet singletrack if you know where to look. The main riding areas in or around Corvallis are Mary's Peak, Macdonald Forest, Starker Forest (Blodgett), and Blackrock (40 mins away.)

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
thats weird, I live in Corvallis too, and the riding around here is sh*t right now because it wont stop RAINING! Not to mention the trails you can be on in 20 minutes is definitely nothing to write home about.

If you ride around here you are going to hate it, and OSU is pretty damn pimp, don't let the local trails turn you around. Try to stop at Hood River, or stop being a wuss and drive to bend, there are plenty of places to ride that are bellow the snow level.

Black rock is probably more of what you want, but it is super super slow when it is wet.

So keep an eye on the weather and go from there. Just don't end up in Duck land.... F that.

(Sorry if this is a dick rant, its finals time and i'm over the rain.)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
thats weird, I live in Corvallis too, and the riding around here is sh*t right now because it wont stop RAINING! Not to mention the trails you can be on in 20 minutes is definitely nothing to write home about.

If you ride around here you are going to hate it, and OSU is pretty damn pimp, don't let the local trails turn you around. Try to stop at Hood River, or stop being a wuss and drive to bend, there are plenty of places to ride that are bellow the snow level.

Black rock is probably more of what you want, but it is super super slow when it is wet.

So keep an eye on the weather and go from there. Just don't end up in Duck land.... F that.

(Sorry if this is a dick rant, its finals time and i'm over the rain.)
With that sparkling attitude it's a wonder you don't know where any of the good trails are, because unless someone shows them to you, you most likely won't find them on your own.

Like I said in my earlier post, most of the trails in the area are XC oriented. Long climbs, but equally long descents. Trails 20 minutes from home are your typical intermediate xc trails, but if you pedal your bike past those and a little further into the forest you will find miles are incredible singletrack. Your also probably that douch I see riding his V10 to class on campus all the time too, just to show everyone you have it. Just because you can't pedal to the good trails doesn't mean they don't exist.

Oh, and did you know there are DH trails close to town too? But by being a dick you will never know where they are.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
wow, what a heated debate. you sound like a married couple. but i will be going to corvallis and looking for the trails DH Diva suggested. i will be on an sx, so i dont have a huge problem pedaling up a hill (as no mountain biker should).

is there anyone who could show me some trails? ill be there the first week of april...

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
With that sparkling attitude it's a wonder you don't know where any of the good trails are, because unless someone shows them to you, you most likely won't find them on your own.

Like I said in my earlier post, most of the trails in the area are XC oriented. Long climbs, but equally long descents. Trails 20 minutes from home are your typical intermediate xc trails, but if you pedal your bike past those and a little further into the forest you will find miles are incredible singletrack. Your also probably that douch I see riding his V10 to class on campus all the time too, just to show everyone you have it. Just because you can't pedal to the good trails doesn't mean they don't exist.

Oh, and did you know there are DH trails close to town too? But by being a dick you will never know where they are.
I lived in Corvallis for years and thought the riding was great. I guess if the trails can't be shuttled and their aren't stunts every hundred feet, the new generation of riders won't appreciate it. Anyone miss the good ole days of MTB? :huh:

Although - I must admit that the winter riding isn't so great due to mud and rain, but that is a far cry from these "no trails" and "trails suck" comments.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Although - I must admit that the winter riding isn't so great due to mud and rain, but that is a far cry from these "no trails" and "trails suck" comments.
Word, but that's life all over Oregon in the winter. The east side and southern Oregon is snowed in half the year, the valley is flooded and soggy, and it only gets wetter the farther North you go. But we still get a lot of really nice days in this area and don't often have to worry about the issues of living and riding in milder climates, like unstoppable wild fires in Cali or trail systems that literally shut down in the summer because of fire danger. They also don't have the same type of forested riding we have either. To ride year round in this area you have to be a diverse rider. DH is awesome, but there are few places it's possible year round. So winter time is when you take advantage of the miles of forest double track and test your endurance chops. See how far you can ride. Which also makes you a better DH or freerider because it increases your stamina and fitness. It's all about making the most of your area. If your up for the challenge of trying different types of riding, you can ride year round, just depends on if you want to make it happen.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
i will be on an sx, so i dont have a huge problem pedaling up a hill (as no mountain biker should).

is there anyone who could show me some trails? ill be there the first week of april...
When are you planning on visiting, and how many days will you be here. If you have more than one day, I would definitely suggest going to blackrock, it's worth the drive and there is a huge base of people that ride there and help maintain it. It would be easy to track down a group to tag along with.

In Corvallis, your best hooking up with a group ride. Let me know when your going to be here and I'll let you know if I'm going to be in town or if there are any good group rides to hook you up with.

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
Screw it, this is pointless.

I apologize, This term has been absolute junk, and I have spend way too much time in the library studying classes I do not care about. And not enough time on my bike...

My bad guys. Even if the trails aren't that great, the people who ride around here are super fun, which makes them fun. Even the horrible hill at black rock...

I petition for a t-bar lift there!

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
...Not only could I pedal to those trails, but I could out pedal your ass on those trails. In fact, I will ride circles around you...

...I was with some dude who did not really know where he was going.
Now come on, Jeremy... I seem to remember you hating life at Blackrock because you had to, god forbid, climb up the hill...

Also - assuming you're talking about me in mac forest. Sorry I couldn't find you the trails you were looking for...

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
Damn! I haven't spoken to you in ages!!! no no, wasnt you sam. I still ride that trail. Its fun to pin when its dry, and I made my 3 lap goal. This spring I want to do 4, as long as I dont get bored.

My neighbor took me out because he said he "knew" where the good stuff was, and we ended up riding in circles, with him going "oh its just up here" "right around this corner" just didn't work out. Haven't ridden with him since.

Oh ya, and I hate walking up that stupid hill. So now I ride up it. Makes it better.

We need to hit up hood river, where I know there is decent riding. Or go to bend. I am moving there in August.

I have heard about some epic stuff in mac, and I really want to find it. I am going to go to marry's and cut my own trail in when it dries up.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I am going to go to marry's and cut my own trail in when it dries up.
You just do that. And when they find your illegal trails and throw all the bikes off Mary's (Mr. Spelling), I'll be sure and send a couple hundred pissed off riders your way (literally, I will send them to you). Mary's is the last place you want to build illegal trails as it's probably the most monitored area, but I'm sure you know that with your vast knowledge of local riding areas.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I'll be sure to name it after you lovely :banana:
Sounds great! And when it gets shut down be ready for the consequences! Enjoy!

And if bikes get kicked off the hill because of you I will make sure every MTBer in the area has your digits so they can let you know how much they appreciate your contribution!

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
It doesn't matter anymore, I just talked to a guy that has private land just past Philomath, I've got permission to build all the trail I want. Which wont be much since I will be gone in August. It will hold me over until then.

So you can have your beloved Mary's, and go to town. I won't fight ya for it.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
It doesn't matter anymore, I just talked to a guy that has private land just past Philomath, I've got permission to build all the trail I want. Which wont be much since I will be gone in August. It will hold me over until then.

So you can have your beloved Mary's, and go to town. I won't fight ya for it.
I'm glad you have a place to build. Mary's isn't mine. It belongs to thousands of people. I'm not against building, I'm against building in places that will automatically bring unwanted attention to trail building and get the authorized areas shut down. If people are going to build, it needs to be done in places that it won't so easily be discovered. I have had/built tons of trails that weren't authorized in my day, but they weren't in the middle of a major riding area that is heavily monitored by environmental groups, and the forest service. It's all about where you build, not that your building. Again, I'm glad you now have a place.

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
well, hopefully it is decent and worth the work. There will be no wood, just single track.

Has potential.

When it dries up a bit I will hit up some different people and see if they can show me stuff like Sam did. That is at least worth the ride/drive there.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Both DH Diva and Motoking need to chill. Christ, both you hotheads should just apply for an MTV reality show or get some anti-depressants / horse tranquilizers.