Quantcast

trails, trails, trails.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
these are my one kid digging effort, i'm 15 so don't hate too hard. the name comes from the fact they're right next to the norfolk southern freight line. they are still under reconstruction mind you, the berm is nowhere close to done, same with the big bottom sets, and the first few. i'm starting a tech as fuch entrace too to keep nibblers and poachers off.

current, horrendous runup (temporary)

first set, in bad need of some love

2nd set, lander was stellar until nibblers cased it to death.

3rd set, in need of love. needs lipping up and a longer, taller lander.

4th set, just needs to be cleaned up and squared off. the lander is a lot taller, the bike is just on the side like a foot and change off the ground, and it's on a hill.

5th set, pride and joy, nibblers built a dumb 2ft transfer jump and the lander is rutted weird now, i'll fix it next time it rains.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
MORE!

roller before stepdown, roast section!

stepdown!

wallride, can be taken as alternative to stepdown, may be taken down cos of the graffiti, looks trashy, some kids keep coming back and spraying it.

bermage, nowhere close to done. gonna be the goods when it is. it will flow straight into a speed pump into the 1st bottom set. should be vert and wayyyy taller.

1st bottom set, not a great pic. these will eventually be a lot taller. from the pit the launch is shoulder high or so, and the lander is head high to over head from the pit b/w 1&2.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
riding shots!

roastin!

whippin!

boostin!

roastin!

roastin!

dust cloud!

whippish thing?

roastin!

sorry i look dumb, i have a cast on, and it's been weeks since i rode.

i hate riding trails brakeless! someone sell me a cable!

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
So rad. That place has got mad potential. Quit riding your bike, and throw dirt there for the next month, and i'll bet you have the goods!

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Glad to see you have some rollers ;) and berms.

Not to be a helmet nazi...... but you know...... 40 seems like a long way off, but believe me, you will still want to ride that set when you get there and think of how dope it will be then ;)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Best way to keep out nibblers is an S-turn berm intro with a double between the 2 turns. Most mountain bikers, er, I mean, nibblers, can't handle landing before a corner, and will just blow off the runway. Big and tall rollers are great to keep out the kooks, too.

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
Best way to keep out nibblers is an S-turn berm intro with a double between the 2 turns. Most mountain bikers, er, I mean, nibblers, can't handle landing before a corner, and will just blow off the runway. Big and tall rollers are great to keep out the kooks, too.
Most "nibblers" around here are BMX riders and the DJ's were built by MTB'ers. Just sayin' It goes both ways.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
How do I say this politely without sounding like an ass...

Aren't those the XXXX trails? They certainly look like the XXXX trails. Unless I am totally wrong about the location, they've been there since around 2002 or 2003 or even earlier. To say they are "your trails" might be a bit of a stretch.

Regardless of the sematics of ownership, they look great and good work fixing them up.

Edit: removed location (just in case).

Last edited:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I think he's posted before that he found this spot in disrepair, and he's solely undertaken building it back up. I could be mistaken.
Ah yes, you are correct. I just did some searching and found that the original spot had been torn down fairly recently (late 2007?). Looks like he's rebuilding in the same spot. I haven't been down there in awhile. I actually moved out of the area in 2004.

Grom-dom, be careful and good luck. Rebuilding in a spot that's already been dozed once is just asking to have it dozed again and they might not be real friendly if they catch you. I wish you the best.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How do I say this politely without sounding like an ass...

Aren't those the XXXX trails? They certainly look like the XXXX trails. Unless I am totally wrong about the location, they've been there since around 2002 or 2003 or even earlier. To say they are "your trails" might be a bit of a stretch.

Regardless of the sematics of ownership, they look great and good work fixing them up.

Edit: removed location (just in case).
To your point, regardless of how long they've been around, if they've been abandoned (no longer used/maintained) and he shows up to revive them, I have no real issue with him calling them "his" trails, at least until other riders show up to start digging.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Nobody owns trails on public land. Thinking or claiming you do (not the case here, IMO) will lead to misery, anger, and bitterness.
My favorite Trail Boss once made a statement that I really respect....
"Even if I only get to ride it one time, the work has been worth it."
Some trails he's had a huge part in building were vandalized, and he didn't whine about it. He didn't go around saying he's gonna kick someone's ass. He helped rebuild, and made peace with the vandals.
Reason and logic over pride and arrogance!
Do it for the love of riding, keep the karma positive.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Nobody owns trails on public land. .
Actually, I think grom-doms trails are on private land and that they were plowed at the land owners request and expense. (I'm not 100% sure on that but I think that is the story.) In my second post above, I mention that he might want to be careful rebuilding in light of the fact that it has been plowed before.

Disregard my first post... I didn't know the spot had been abandoned. I meant no disrespect. His work looks great and he should get all the credit for reviving a dead spot.

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Actually, I think grom-doms trails are on private land and that they were plowed at the land owners request and expense. (I'm not 100% sure on that but I think that is the story.) In my second post above, I mention that he might want to be careful rebuilding in light of the fact that it has been plowed before.

Disregard my first post... I didn't know the spot had been abandoned. I meant no disrespect. His work looks great and he should get all the credit for reviving a dead spot.
If what you say about the land is true, anyone building there is on even worse footing than if the land is public. Any work done, must be done with the understanding that it could all be lost, and any riding you can do will be worth the risk and/or sacrifice. Accept the fact that it's temporary, and it will be easier to handle when the worst happens.
That's all I'm trying to say.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
nah, those were different. these have been here for at least 10 years, and were abandoned. i've brought it back because of a lack of transportation to get to other stuff.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007

No, these haven't been plowed. I kinda kept them up until I moved farther away from them. They just get abandoned from time to time. I believe they are on private property; they are kind of tied into a local trail system and I think the owner has been cool about them and let them be.

The weirdest thing is the concrete tubes used as filler. I can't figure out how the original builders got them there. They are heavy as hell and there really is no way to get them out there. They're like Stonehenge or something.

J, The M.A.S. crew has been talking about hitting them up soon. They're looking pretty good.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
No, these haven't been plowed. I kinda kept them up until I moved farther away from them. They just get abandoned from time to time. I believe they are on private property; they are kind of tied into a local trail system and I think the owner has been cool about them and let them be.

The weirdest thing is the concrete tubes used as filler. I can't figure out how the original builders got them there. They are heavy as hell and there really is no way to get them out there. They're like Stonehenge or something.

J, The M.A.S. crew has been talking about hitting them up soon. They're looking pretty good.
werd. it'd be nice to have a dig day out there, to get the berm and bottom sets done. i'll be out as much as i can this month, cast comes off a week from tomorrow. the concrete tubes are probably leftovers from either that neighborhood or when they built the railroad. they're all over the place.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
nah, those were different. these have been here for at least 10 years, and were abandoned. i've brought it back because of a lack of transportation to get to other stuff.
Okay I was confused. Were the ones in the "enchanted forest" the ones that were plowed? That's too bad. Such a nice spot for jumps.

That's really cool that you all are fixing them up. Keep up the good work. I'll go away now. :)

Cornfed, yeah I always wondered how they got those pipes in there. I wonder if they were left over from the RR or something. //// <- sniped by grom-dom..

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Good work! Man, be careful if you are riding those solo. I hope there is some kind of traffic around there if it goes bad for you one day.