Quantcast

Trainer

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
So i've come to the conclusion not living in the mountains and riding downhill everyday and being back at college is killing my cardio. I am interested in getting a trainer for my road bike and mountain bike to get my cardio back since its getting cold and i hate running.

What is a resonably priced trainer and what kind? I know nothing about them but im looking to get one for xmas but it needs to be resonably priced. I'm not looking for anything fancy just something thats affordable and works good.

Thanks a bunch

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I bought MtnBikerChk a trainer for Xmas a few years ago (paid $300 for it). We've used it like five times.

Edit: I bought the 1upUSA one Wumpus linked.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I have an actual trainer that hooks to your back wheel that I've actually used quite a bit with both my mountain and road bike. I think it cost $200-$250. You can adjust the resistance, but other than that, it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but works just fine and it got me through last winter. It's made by Minoura.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Bluebug can i get a url or where you bought it at?

Sadly i used to work at performance bike and they have trainers there and i was wondering if anyone has used one or if they are just POS just like perf.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
mobius said:
Bluebug can i get a url or where you bought it at?

Sadly i used to work at performance bike and they have trainers there and i was wondering if anyone has used one or if they are just POS just like perf.

They actually are pretty nice. Sold a bunch of them, only had one or two returns. I've used them in the shop, set them up, taken them apart, they are pretty good, as far as trainers go.

But like Corey Said, PUT ON SOME LAYERS AND RIDE YOU PANSY! :D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
mobius said:
**** u wanna come road ride with me in fairfax, the roads suck first off and the people suck more!

If I had brought my bike home I would come out and ride with you tomorrow :)

Next time you are in Richmond, let me know, I'll go out riding with you no matter what the temperature :D

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Pau11y said:
Asked this on the x-post: rollers vs trainers, which one? I'm thinking more on the rollers, but can you watch movies while you're on rollers or does it require too much attention to multi-task like that?

I've watched TV while using the rollers. I just have to set them up so they are pointing directly at the TV. Otherwise, if I zone out, I'll start to turn toward it and off I go. And for those that have never used rollers, you don't go shooting through the house when you fall off.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Wumpus said:
I've watched TV while using the rollers. I just have to set them up so they are pointing directly at the TV. Otherwise, if I zone out, I'll start to turn toward it and off I go. And for those that have never used rollers, you don't go shooting through the house when you fall off.
Yeah, but you'd leave some skid marks on your rug, and in your bike shorts I'd bet :blah:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
bluebug32 said:
just curious as to why so many prefer rollers to trainers? Any additional benefit?

Proponents say:

"Rollers help your balance and bike handling skills -- slight turn of the bars will send you all over the place. They will teach you how to hold a line."

"Teach you how to have smooth pedal stroke. Otherwise, you will be bouncing(serging) all around."

"When you ride there is a natural side to side motion when you are pedaling that is not present when you are riding a fixed trainer and can cause some knee strain."

*When looking at rollers there are two extremes -- Big drums(4.5") are for easy spin type workouts and usually have some type of fan attachment if you want a tougher workout and then there are small drums(2.25") that are pretty tough. Now Kreitler makes a 10" wide drum(normal is 15") that will really keep you on your toes.