Quantcast

training classes for work

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Does anyone here have to take the occasional training class for work? I so, how easy is it for you to get approval from your company? I'm asking because my company seems to be unusual in that they are strong believers in professional development. I just signed up for two classes (9 days total and requires travel) and I got approval pretty much instantly. Granted, one of the classes is definitely needed for a system upgrade, but the other one I thought would just be helpful (and I told my bosses this). I even expressed my concern about their budget (between my training and conferences), and was told to just sign up for whatever I felt I needed. My bosses are the best! :D

So what's it like at your company? I've worked for three other companies and it was never this easy.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I've never tried. My last job was a piece of cake. I need a lot of CPE to keep my license active...80 hours every two years. I need to get on that since I did NO training last year.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SkaredShtles said:
It's like pulling teeth around here. :mad:
You work in I.T., correct? From what I hear, our I.T. department is like that. I report to Finance though, and Finance controls the cash flow. My VP is a bit of a free spender.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Boondoggle. Funny how 50% of my training happens in the city where my family and friends live...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
it takes forever in the city, I wanted to go to a convention to learn more.. it took two years to get approved, it finally went through, I still had to pay for it myself , they finally paid me 3 months after i got back

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Our company does most of it's training in-house. Web based and instructor led. The company encourages us to take the training as it's free and they will also pay some tuition for college and tech school courses. Provided it is related to the job.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have worked for companies that had a training budget and we used it for pointless crap because it was enough to do something, but never enough to do something useful. Intel has internal training that you have to go to throughout the year, most of it is worthless. But they also do things like send engineers to Novell for certification courses rather than deal with some third party school.

I have been working for smaller companies the last few years and there is no budget. My current company doesn't even offer any sort of tuition assistance.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i haven't been on a training session trip since Feb 01, when i went to SF for a week and skiied/boarded that weekend. it was great. last great conference trip (and it was a great one) was berlin in '04.

i need to get out to some, and our company is pretty good for this, but i've been too busy for project stuff to break away for a week or so.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Heidi said:
Phil - going anywhere good this year?
Orlando and San Francisco for conferences.

Both of these classes are in Teaneck, NJ though. I could have gone to Indianapolis, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando or Chicago, but I chose NJ since it's driving distance (no flight or rental car expense). Really, I could have picked any of those locations but I am trying to be somewhat responsible with the spending. "Spend company money like it's your own" is our company policy. :D

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ciaran said:
Our company does most of it's training in-house. Web based and instructor led. The company encourages us to take the training as it's free and they will also pay some tuition for college and tech school courses. Provided it is related to the job.
We have lots of in-house training too, but I have to help develop the classes for the two systems I use (I am not a trainer though).

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
SkaredShtles said:
It's like pulling teeth around here. :mad:
Agreed! - I did get to spend a week in Pasadena once for telephony training only because it was free with purchase of the system.

The highlight was I was there with the department party girl. Most next days in class were pretty heinous.