Quantcast

training for a triathlon

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
ok, so next month is the mountain man triathlon up here in flag. Im not ready for the full length, but i think im going to do the short one just to get the experience. what i want to do is train for the next 13 months and really be ready next year! So, training for the running and riding im ok with! I am a total noob to swiming. would it really be beneficial for my to get into some advanced swim lessons or just go out there and knock out laps? Im gonna need a little practice with the whold tumble and kick off of the wall to turn around, but that is irrelavant when it comes to swiming across a lake and back.. im jsut thinking that some of you may do a lot of swiming and could help me out a little bit! i would apprieciate any help!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I can speak from firsthand experience...TAKE SOME LESSONS!!! Open water swimming is an entirely different beast than lap swimming.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Best bet is to find a masters swim team, here is a link to the website, you can look up clubs in your area www.usms.org .

You'll probably find a bunch of triathlete there, get your technique down in the pool, alot fo times they have open water clinics, or you can make friends with someone that can help you out.

OPen water is different in that you have to use other markings to help you navagate. Somtimes you have to deal with currents, and obviously surf soometimes if your in the ocean.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
nikwho said:
thats what i thought... so, what are you saying is different? are you jsut saying that its more strenuous?
Several things caught me offguard when I did my first open water swim
1) As Zutroy pointed out, you have to "sight" the buoys as you swim
2) There are no lane markers so you may not swim straight
3) Currents could put you off course
4) Ripples and "waves" in the water make breathing a little different
5) You're swimming with other people who are just inches and feet away
6) Open water swimming is usually colder than a heated lap pool.

I'm a miserable swimmer, but have completed two mountain bike triathlons (equivalent to a sprint distance). I plan on doing the same tri next year, but will definitely be taking some lessons this Summer.

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
i could imagine that being surrounded by people could make things really wierd! And i imagine that breathing would be a little trickier with ripples and what not. what about wetsuits??? i would think that one would help keep you boyant and more level to the surface.. however, i could imagine that one would add a lot of resistance to your arms having to strectch that neoprene with each stroke! so, are wetsuits more of a help than a hinderance...???

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
nikwho said:
i could imagine that being surrounded by people could make things really wierd! And i imagine that breathing would be a little trickier with ripples and what not. what about wetsuits??? i would think that one would help keep you boyant and more level to the surface.. however, i could imagine that one would add a lot of resistance to your arms having to strectch that neoprene with each stroke! so, are wetsuits more of a help than a hinderance...???

Actually wetsuits speed you up a far amount. It actually helps someone who's slower in the water more than a fast swimming. It helps you maintain a better body postion by floating you., and some of the rubbers they are made of actually have less drag in the water than bare skin. I usually tell people who are new to swimming to get one that is sleeveless unless you have to get into water that's so cold you need the sleeves. There is alittle most resistance in the shoulders, especially in the entry level models. The high end suits not so much.

It is a good thing to own, makes life much better in colder water. I'm racing a tri tomorrow, here in Cali. Water is is the high 50s to low 60s so I'll be wearing long sleeves.

I personally like the T1 2 peice suits, but they are alittle pricey. QR and Xterra make some nice suits with good bang for the buck.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
A wetsuit is going to make you a lot more comfortable and confident in the water, because of the added float. Definitley take a swim lesson. Maybe not a masters class yet, if you don't know how to swim, but at least a swim class at the Y.

If you get out in the open water without any swim experience, you're going to make yourself miserable,and be doggy paddling the whole way.

Zutroy- Lake Almaden mtb sprint, or the olympic distance by any chance?

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
As has been said before you really do need to take at least a few swim lessons if you've never spent any real time swimming. In the lessons they will help you out with a proper stroke, which will most likely be much more efficient that your stroke right now, and that will save you some energy. And you might want to get some people to swim in the same lane as you (the more the better) so you can get used to being right on someone as your trying to swim. You might also want to go out to whereever the swim part takes place at and do a bit of swimming just to get used to how you have to take breaths and your sighting the buoys.

Oh, and good luck.