Quantcast

Training Log – 1 year update.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
1 year ago this week I started keeping a detailed training log. And one year ago this weekend I fractured my pelvis on a road ride (hairline fracture.)
2004 I have been more diligent about logging my stats but 2003 I was kind of lazy. I misplaced Nov and December although I know I didn’t do that much riding so I just dummied in my lowest totals. I also missed some rides early on so the actual totals are off by bit but are fairly accurate.

Total miles – 4500+
Total Time – 333:11:09

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The Toninator said:
thanks a, ya you totally need to get on the ball so you can be ready for the 24 hours of RideMonkey!
Hey when is that again?

Well the 24 hours of beer drinking has been on all year......

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
1 year ago this week I started keeping a detailed training log. And one year ago this weekend I fractured my pelvis on a road ride (hairline fracture.)
2004 I have been more diligent about logging my stats but 2003 I was kind of lazy. I misplaced Nov and December although I know I didn’t do that much riding so I just dummied in my lowest totals. I also missed some rides early on so the actual totals are off by bit but are fairly accurate.

Total miles – 4500+
Total Time – 333:11:09
Sounds good but I was hoping for a speadsheet and not the FOX News version... :blah:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Serial Midget said:
Sounds good but I was hoping for a speadsheet and not the FOX News version... :blah:
I tired a couple of different ways to get the whole thing on there, but it has pretty colors and stuff, that make it to big to attach. if you reconvert it into an xls you will probably be able to read it better.
oh wait were you just being funny?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
I tired a couple of different ways to get the whole thing on there, but it has pretty colors and stuff, that make it to big to attach. if you reconvert it into an xls you will probably be able to read it better.
oh wait were you just being funny?
No I wasn't kidding... if I need more info I'll PM ya.
:thumb:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK - describe the Fruit loop course...

EDIT: Never mind, I figured this one out. -> Your base miles are done anywhere between 60 & 81% of your max, whay such a large spread. I am I missing something?

From your training it looks like I am reaching too far beyond my ability - what do you think about that? Maybe I sould be doing more sub 70% efforts.

and finally... in a typical week what portion of your training is spent is what zones? Do you always stick to your plan or do you allow yourself to ride as you feel?

Thanks. :)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Serial Midget said:
the fruit loop is a city park road pretty near downtown houston. It's a mile long loop and it's closed to traffic in the evenings so it's pretty safe. it's also very flat. makes for good zone training.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Serial Midget said:

EDIT: Never mind, I figured this one out. -> Your base miles are done anywhere between 60 & 81% of your max, whay such a large spread. I am I missing something?
Depends on which workouts your talking about. the weekly stuff under and hour and a half are usually sprint, strength, interval workouts so you don’t really shoot for a hr zone i just record what was the avg hr at the end of the workout.
From your training it looks like I am reaching too far beyond my ability - what do you think about that? Maybe I should be doing more sub 70% efforts.
the book im reading says for endurance training in the base phase you should spend 60% of your training time in zone 1/2. he says rarely should your longer rides be above this zone. weird i know.
I’d like to tell you yes but i cant. i do know that if you spend to much time in the upper zones you can over train pretty easily. i know your goal is a better time for the 100. i don’t really have any experience training for that.
i say pick up one of joe freils books.

and finally... in a typical week what portion of your training is spent is what zones? Do you always stick to your plan or do you allow yourself to ride as you feel?
mon through thurs 'avg' zone 3/4 due to the intensity of the workouts they 'should' comprise 40% of weekly training during base phase.
sat/sun should be the longer rides and be comprised of 60% of your weekly training phase during base. The book says these should be hr zone 1/2 (i just cant do it but I’m trying)

the book = SERIOUS training for Endurance athletes by rob sleamaker and ray browning
Speed workout
Endurance or easy distance training
Race/pace sessions to test your fitness
Intervals of high-intensity
Overdistnace sessions of proloned low-level activity
Uphill intervals
Sternght workouts

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK fine - since you wont scan and post the contents of the books I just ordered them. :monkey:

Thanks for the tips though... I think I am over-reaching or at least on the edge. Riding slow suck beans. :mumble:

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Hey guys, what is a normal heart rate for my age, 33 and body weight, 180, 6' tall? I have a recumbant bike which I use when I can't ride my bike and I usually do like 10 miles in 25 minutes on 6 resisitance (out of 10) and I keep it at like 25mph. I'm humming along and I can't get my heart rate above 130-140. I can't imagine trying to go 30mph on the thing. I had my wife check too with her monitor thing (she's a RN) and I don't get above the above said rate? Is that normal?

Knuckle

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
without really knowing the resistance of the setting i cant really tell you if it should be higher or not.
If your just keeping a steady pace with a decent cadence change it up a bit.
here's some cadence goals to hit though
if you dont have a cadence monitor
6 rpms every 5 seconds = 72 RPM
7 = 84
8 = 96
9 = 108
10 = 120

do a warm up of 5 minutes at 72, 5 minutes at 84 then do an extended period at 96. to finish up do 2 minutes at 108 and 1 to 2 minute(s) at 120. If your heart rate did go above your average 1. your a total freak of nature La watch out! 2. Could actually be 'overtrained' it's a common signifier. 3. Your pretty fit and just need to up the resistance or change up your workout a bit.
I usually do hour long 'core' workouts when on the trainer, speed, strenght etc.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
here are some basic examples of core workouts. They work best on a trainer but you can also do them on the road too. The 'fruit loop' is an excellent place for me to do these.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Knuckleslammer said:
Damn, I guess my 1/2 hour a day isn't cutting it ha? I just get so phuking bored on the recumbant. I could pedal the thing for 2 hours if I was in some sort of trance, but it's just the most boring thing on earth.

Knuckle
True trainers are boring. I taped a couple of stages of the tour and ride with them during my workouts on the trainer. I never spend more than an hour and a half on the trainer. Think core to distance on it.
Your time in the saddle really depends on what your goals are. SM wants to beat his 100 mile best time and I’m training for a solo 24 hour race. We will spend quite a bit more time in the saddle than a person just wanting to be a better cyclist.
So define your goals then set your training schedule.
"I know what your trying to do"
"I'm trying to free your mind..."

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Well, my goal is to really know I'm in the best physical shape I can be in. I have a feeling I'm in pretty good physical shape, but I want to get to the point where I can be the best I can be. I am 185lbs or so and wold like to get down to 175. I metabolize meals like you wouldn't believe. I eat like a 350lb person. What I really want to do is have more endurance on a bike. I'd love to do a 24 hour race by myself, like Westy did. That was awesome. Not to win, but to just do it.
But mainly, I just want to know that I am in the best physical shape I can be in for my age. I can still run 5 miles in 27 minues at 33 years old. I can do 5 minute miles on the Nordic Track as well, but I'm not sure I am doing enough. Sometimes I miss days, I'm always maxxed out with other sheite. I had a week off and got to ride my mtb a total of 2 hours :mumble:

So with that chart that was posted. If I did that once a day for a year, is that enough to do an endurance race, or does more training need to be done?

Thanks for the help man.

Knuckle

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
WESTY!WESTY!WESTY!WESTY!

Btw i'm 33, 5'8" 135lbs. Not sure what 'chart' your talking about but 3 to 4 days a week of the core workouts then some long slow rides on the weekend will get you there.
If there is a local 12 or 24 hour race go to it and just get a feel for what it takes to race one of these. Knowledge is power. Preparation is key. Talk to people how have done them and get advice.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Knuckleslammer said:
I can still run 5 miles in 27 minues at 33 years old.
Knuckle
That's almost a miracle for a 185 LB 33 year old... well not quite but easily in the top 1%. Is that helpful?

I'm thinking that if you lower the resistance and up your spin then your HR will also climb. Keep in mind that 25MPH on the sationary has nothing to do with reality - just use it as a guage for day to day performance.

On a still day, on a really flat road I can maintain 20MPH at a heart rate of 138 or so but if you add just a slight wind or some rollers and its right back up to 150/155 at 85rpms.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Come on man, 1%?
I'm not lying either, I've always had strong legs. That was last night, I ran around the 1/4 mile track 25 times in about 27 minutes and 50 seconds. My old man tells me to run the Boston Marathon, lol.
I hate running though. I just wanted to see what I could do. Your just joking about the 1% right? If not, then is it safe to say that I'm in pretty good anerobic condition? I do realize as well that the recumbant bicycle inside has nothing to do with real riding. It just pisses me off that I don't have the time to log hours on the actual bike. I don't have a road bike either. Don't like them. I ride my mtb when riding on the road. I tried a road bike and it felt very awkward and I'm not really hip to the look of them. I would like to try a 24 hour race to see how far I could get by myself. Probably wouldn't even be able to finish though. I agree that a lot of research would have to be done prior and I don't know if I have the time and dedication for that. I'm just sort of inspired by Westy's triumph.

Knuckle

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well the distance you quoted, assuming it's a 1/4 mile track, translates to just a hair over a 10K - the current world record for that distance is something just under 27:30 so at 20 seconds off the mark I'd say you should be in the Olympics because you'd be faster than most of the field we have going.

Knuckleslammer said:
Come on man, 1%?
I'm not lying either, I've always had strong legs. That was last night, I ran around the 1/4 mile track 25 times in about 27 minutes and 50 seconds. My old man tells me to run the Boston Marathon, lol.
I hate running though. I just wanted to see what I could do. Your just joking about the 1% right? If not, then is it safe to say that I'm in pretty good anerobic condition? I do realize as well that the recumbant bicycle inside has nothing to do with real riding. It just pisses me off that I don't have the time to log hours on the actual bike. I don't have a road bike either. Don't like them. I ride my mtb when riding on the road. I tried a road bike and it felt very awkward and I'm not really hip to the look of them. I would like to try a 24 hour race to see how far I could get by myself. Probably wouldn't even be able to finish though. I agree that a lot of research would have to be done prior and I don't know if I have the time and dedication for that. I'm just sort of inspired by Westy's triumph.

Knuckle

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Serial Midget said:
Well the distance you quoted, assuming it's a 1/4 mile track, translates to just a hair over a 10K - the current world record for that distance is something just under 27:30 so at 20 seconds off the mark I'd say you should be in the Olympics because you'd be faster than most of the field we have going.
HOORAY, LOL

:think:

Well something must be off, perhaps it's not a 1/4 mile track, but an 1/8 mile track? Is that possible? What a phukkn idiot I am ha? Olympics, :rolleyes:

Well whatever it was, I ran around it 20 times in 27:50, so obviously it wasn't a 1/4 mile track, lol. What a boob I am. Now I'm gonna go to a real 1/4 mile track and it's gonna be more like 50 minutes :nopity:

Dammnit, you had me thinking I was in top shape there for a second.

Knuckle

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
For your age and weight (heavy for distance runner) a respectible 10K time would be under 47 minutes, a great time would be under 41 minutes. I'm not saying that you are overweight - I'm just saying that its very difficult for large men to comepete - this is especially true if you bulk up through weight training. Plus the larger you are the more stress running will put on your body.

Knuckleslammer said:
HOORAY, LOL

:think:

Well something must be off, perhaps it's not a 1/4 mile track, but an 1/8 mile track? Is that possible? What a phukkn idiot I am ha? Olympics, :rolleyes:

Well whatever it was, I ran around it 20 times in 27:50, so obviously it wasn't a 1/4 mile track, lol. What a boob I am. Now I'm gonna go to a real 1/4 mile track and it's gonna be more like 50 minutes :nopity:

Dammnit, you had me thinking I was in top shape there for a second.

Knuckle

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Serial Midget said:
For your age and weight (heavy for distance runner) a respectible 10K time would be under 47 minutes, a great time would be under 41 minutes. I'm not saying that you are overweight - I'm just saying that its very difficult for large men to comepete - this is especially true if you bulk up through weight training. Plus the larger you are the more stress running will put on your body.

Well that's why I don't run really. My old man does it and his knees are junk. He's 60 and weighs about 160-170

I'm like Arnold compared to him. Not a fat bastard, but fit and above average. F running anyhow. Nothing more boring. Stick to my story, LOL

Knuckle

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Knuckleslammer said:
Well that's why I don't run really. My old man does it and his knees are junk. He's 60 and weighs about 160-170

I'm like Arnold compared to him. Not a fat bastard, but fit and above average. F running anyhow. Nothing more boring. Stick to my story, LOL

Knuckle
yea f running anyhow. runnin's for sucks. :p oh and laura :)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Serial Midget said:
So I'm doing alright, doing a 54min 10k at 215 lbs pushing a 45 lb stroller?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Ok, I'm pretty happy with myself. I don't exercize enough though. I come home at 6:40 pm so there isn't a lot of time at night. I hop on the recumbant exercize bike. I do 30 minutes alternating between resistance 5 and 10 the whole time and keeping above 100 RPM the whole time and about 130 RPM at the 5 setting. I could hardly walk afterwards. I would consider this more strength training rather an anerobic because it was only a 1/2 hour right?
I figured I'd burn off all the food I ate today
Banana, cereal bar, oatmeal, tomato with sea salt, Roast Beast Sand, 2 reeces cups. Ginger ale, bag of cashews, big asss salad with tomatos, romano, and shredded jack cheese with oil and vinegar. Snickers bar, Now I'm eating 2 sausage egg and cheese bagels with about 9 tbsp of katchup.
After that, it will be my second helping of metamucil 2tbsp (soluble kind during the day) and 2tbs with the regular grainy type of sheit (original, looks like hay) Take 2tbsp of cod liver oil too, l-argening, l-lysine and l-something else, about 2 cups of soy milk, a prilosec in the morning oh and most importantly 5 jalepeno peppers per day and 1 gallon of water. This is what I eat daily. Too much? I never counted the calories. I'm serious, I'm always phucking starved to death. I'm fit yo, about 180-185 my BFI is arond 17 last time my wife checked it and I'm around 6 - 6'1"
I also do 150 pushups every other day and 100 40lb dumbell curls each arm on off days, and 100 situps every other day. You think this is enough, or you think this is the only reason I don't look like HOMEY SIMPSON with all the food I eat? Oh and a tsp of cayenne pepper during the day as well and some flax seed oil too. I'll tell ya fellas, my pipes are shiny clean yo. Poop just slides right out with minimal wiping. Just like Howard Stern always says "Anything more than 3 wipes is abnormal"

Metamucil boys. You'll be digesting meals so fast that your body doesn't have time to grab all that fat out of the food.

So do I A. Exercize enough
B. Eat too much?

Arm On Fire

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exeter, NH & Acton, MA
Hey Knuck

Damn the man and not giving us anytime to ride, I feel your pain!
I have to ride in the mornings before work.

I need another rider for a 4 man team at the 24 hours of great glen

www.24hoursofgreatglen.com

you could see how far you can ride (as long as its more than the minimum of 4 laps) and help us out as well.

We love to eat as well, and we have our own cook!!!!

Wahoo!!!

Dan
dcook@phoenixcontrols.com
603-944-1633

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Knuckleslammer said:
OWN COOK? DAYUM. I doubt I am in the physical shape to do that stuff mang. I can only ride my bike about 4 hours. Granted it's a 36lb bike, but I don't know and would want to train hard for a year first before embarrassing myself.

Knuckle
say dog it's run relay style you sould really only have to ride 1 lap at a time. Laps avg about 10 miles (that does say 'avg' but theirs might be a little longer or a little shorter.)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
also Knuckleslammer since you said you would like to try one solo even if you dont race you should hook up with a team and drink beer and be a bike wash or something it's a pretty neat event and it will give you a little insight into what it will take to do one.

Arm On Fire

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exeter, NH & Acton, MA
yeah, you could drink beer and race/ride as well

just picture it, at the start line as you grab a 12oz. and chug it, the spectators would be chanting....

knuck!
knuck!
knuck!
knuck!
knuck!
knuck!