Quantcast

Training/Nutrition dedication for XC racing

SoCA

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
OC Barrios
I'm looking for a new challange. I've competed at high levels in almost all the sports I have ever seriously taken up in the past (ice hockey, DH racing, MX, even paintball) and now taking a look at XC. It's a new challange that looks interesting and probably be the most physically/mentally demanding sport I will ever compete in so far.
I've been riding for a few years now, all for the pure love of mountain biking. I just recently started DH racing but also looking at the XC discipline but wondering what the training and nutrition dedication is. If I do this, I want to do it to the best of my abilities and probably go into races more then "just to have fun".
Of course I would start out in the 27-34 beginner class and work myself up.
Can some of the hardcore or dedicated XC racers give me a idea of their own personal training/nutrition regiment so I can see what I gotta do to be somewhat competitive.
I'm in fairly good shape now and ride very regularly but want to see how much work I REALLY gotta do.
Thanks everyone.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It wouldn't do much good for me to tell you what I do because individuals are so extremely different that my nutrition/training would probably not work for you. The best thing to do would be to buy some training books. Joe Friels "Training Bible for Mountain Bikers" is a good start.

Basically, depending on what your goal are and after assessing your existing strengths and weaknesses (are you good at hills, a little weak in endurance, slow on DH.....) you could then tailor your own plan to help you become a better racer.

Will you do only short races (beginner races are typically only 10 miles or so) or will you do some longer endurance races also? Because that would effect your training plan. How many races do you want to do, are they far apart? Do you already have a good base mileage down or do you need to start there?

You can have a lot of fun and really get into the training aspect if you want...I did this off season.

SoCA

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
OC Barrios
Thanks for the postings Heidi and Endo.

I should have known better to ask for personal training ideas because everyone has tailored their own training and diet to their specific body types.
I will be going out to Barnes and Noble this weekend to checkout some books on the subject to hopefully lead me in the right direction.
Good thing is I know exactly what areas on the bike I need to work on (climbing), so I'll be working on that. My only concern is fitness but if beginner races are only 10 miles or so, I won't be worried at this point.

Endo-
I have never taken any supplements to help increase performance in the past because I felt I never needed it, but I'm gonna start looking into more because I've heard so many testimonials about the performance gain. Thanks for the link to e-caps.com.

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by SoCA
Thanks for the postings Heidi and Endo.

I should have known better to ask for personal training ideas because everyone has tailored their own training and diet to their specific body types.
I will be going out to Barnes and Noble this weekend to checkout some books on the subject to hopefully lead me in the right direction.
Good thing is I know exactly what areas on the bike I need to work on (climbing), so I'll be working on that. My only concern is fitness but if beginner races are only 10 miles or so, I won't be worried at this point.

Endo-
I have never taken any supplements to help increase performance in the past because I felt I never needed it, but I'm gonna start looking into more because I've heard so many testimonials about the performance gain. Thanks for the link to e-caps.com.
If you are looking for books for training, the best I have read so far is "The Mountain Bikers Training Bible" by Joe Friel.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Captain Cogset

If you are looking for books for training, the best I have read so far is "The Mountain Bikers Training Bible" by Joe Friel.
Honey, did you not read MY post????