Quantcast

Training on a BMX

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
So i got my new GT Power Series 20" about a month ago and it is pretty much all i have been riding. I have been doing sprints on it and riding it on the street as well as the track. I have noticed a huge difference at the track. I can now hit the more difficult lines much more smooth than i could on a mountain bike. My ability to manual has also gotten much better. Even on the mountain bike i am much more smooth and fast than i was.Another advantage to riding the twenty is the increase in competition at the local indoor races. I would be luckey to get 1 moto with four guys in the cruiser class, but on the 20 all my motos had full gates.

I was just wondering how many othr monkeys out there train on a 20" either during the season or in the winter months?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I got a trail/park dk and rode that some and found my hopping and manuals were better but definetly interested in getting a 20 and racing since it would be so much easier and closer to race bmx then mtn x or dual.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I tried it, but just couldn't get the hand of a 20". Luckily we've got some fast older guys out here on Cruisers so i moved to one, and it much better so me to ride.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
BMX racing is great cross training for DH and 4X. During the winter time hitting the track is pretty much the only riding you can do during the week. I find that after spending some time on the BMX bike, I feel a lot smoother and faster on my DH bike and my DJ bike.

One thing I did learn, MTBs on the BMX track are just work. A BMX bike flows so much better, and once you're used to it, it's a lot more fun.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I have a Standard TRLS250, and before I left for Spain I rode it daily. It helps with being smoother, more confident, more precise, and general bicycle riding skills. Even cornering on that thing helps my MTB cornering. Besides, BMX bikes don't break all the time like MTB's, and you're allowed to make fun of anything with suspension. Plus, it really is a lot of fun. And that's what counts.

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
i go back and forth about starting to bmx. I was banned from riding in campus so street is kind of out of the question. But everybody says that it really helps out with DH racing (smoothness, and cornering) and 4X (smoothness...and cornering) i figure i should give it a shot. Plus i cant ride my p2 for more than a week without somethin breakin

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Sherpa said:
My new Specialed Hemi Pro comes in tomorrow, it's going to be sick.
That's too bad. Hope it feels better soon. :thumb:
My wethepeople thrillseeker has never been sick a day in it's life. A little neglected sometimes, but that goes away when daylight savings ends. :D

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I race all year round on a BMX bike - well, this year I didn't race as much cause of injury, but I think it has improved my DHing.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have a redline rl 360. Its not high end, but its decent. I haven't ridden it a year, because the crank is hittting the chainstay.

My parents could that fixed, but I would rather have them fix my mtb. It always breaks. A few weeks ago, I replaced the thin rickety bontrager rim w/ an ex721. It felt much better and the width helped. A week later my crank fell off (stripped w/ shot bb) just after I pedaled to ellwood,goleta. That was 2 weeks ago. Its at cambria, and should be done soon.

I want to get some cranks off ebay for it.

Bmx is fun, becasue they are small and easy to move. I am not nearly as confident on bigger jumps though.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Jeremy R said:
Jeff's love of tiny bikes has been passed down through the generations.
Here is a shot of his Grandma: :blah:
Don't laugh, Slim, you know Meemaw has more first straight pull in one fattened thigh than you'll have in your whole life.

What happened to you getting a DOC and learning some real bike skills this year??

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I picked up a bmx to play on, and have a ton of fun with it! It got my girl interested in riding too, she loves it.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I tried training on the BMX a couple winters ago.........it ended with alot of pain.

Margin of error on thoose things is small........

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
JeffD said:
Don't laugh, Slim, you know Meemaw has more first straight pull in one fattened thigh than you'll have in your whole life.

What happened to you getting a DOC and learning some real bike skills this year??
I have a frame and have not built it up yet. How sad is that?
Soon though. Meemaw looks lonely.

Julio

Chimp
Jun 28, 2002
Brazil
I'm thinking about get a 26" HT to training on a BMX track (and also use the bike for 4x). Does it will have the same benefits of training with a 20"?

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Julio said:
I'm thinking about get a 26" HT to training on a BMX track (and also use the bike for 4x). Does it will have the same benefits of training with a 20"?
I have been going out to the track on my 4X bike. You can't be very competitive against the cruisers (especially on a FS bike) but it is a great workout and a great way to hone skills like manualing, gate starts, sprinting, and jumping. It would be fun to pick up a BMX bike and try to compete but for me, I just want to get better on my MTB, not be a good BMX racer.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I rode the track 5 days a week last winter and raced 2 of them. I rode my 4x bike and raced cruiser and the money open class. Racing against top regional experts and A-pro's our posse of Pro and Expert 26"ers always made the money open mains, and usually one of us would win or finish 2nd to a particullarly rad regional expert 20" standout.

I went from having no gate and speed jumping ability and bareley any pump to having MAD pull and pump. I would say that the time I spent at the track last winter is like 80% responsible for me making the jump from top 10 expert to Semi-Pro this year.

Unfortunately our indoor track isn't going to re-open this year so I won't be racing BMX this winter. I was going to build up a 20" this winter, mostly so I could race an additonal class. Last year my total moto-count for a day of racing was usally 8 or 9, and while that was plenty fatiguing I still wanted more race time, especially since our cruiser motos were made completly of guys that were mainly racing open, and were only racing class because it was required...

Julio

Chimp
Jun 28, 2002
Brazil
Threepointtwo said:
I have been going out to the track on my 4X bike. You can't be very competitive against the cruisers (especially on a FS bike) but it is a great workout and a great way to hone skills like manualing, gate starts, sprinting, and jumping. It would be fun to pick up a BMX bike and try to compete but for me, I just want to get better on my MTB, not be a good BMX racer.
That's my case, I want to improve some skills, mainly for DH racing.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
JeffD said:
Looking good Jeff. I still have my Haro 2.0 cruiser that was given to me 4 years ago. It is built up really nice. I will have to break it out soon and hook up to ride some tracks or jump trials. I still have the skills, been playing on the Moto. It is sold now and I am getting MT riding now. Knee is back to 100% now.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I ride street on a 20" and love it. 2006 Specialized Fuse...it's oh so lovely. I haven't taken it to the track yet, though. Anyone know of some nice indoor tracks in the southeast?

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
HRDTLBRO said:
I ride street on a 20" and love it. 2006 Specialized Fuse...it's oh so lovely. I haven't taken it to the track yet, though. Anyone know of some nice indoor tracks in the southeast?
There ain't any in the SE. Closest indoor is in Indy.

The NBL track in south Atlanta just put soiltac (all weather sealant) down so it'll be rideable all winter, if you're ever jonesing for some 20" riding.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
JeffD said:
There ain't any in the SE. Closest indoor is in Indy.

The NBL track in south Atlanta just put soiltac (all weather sealant) down so it'll be rideable all winter, if you're ever jonesing for some 20" riding.
The Greenville and Spartanburg tracks in SC have done the same. There is also a new track up in Hendersonville NC. I think they also used all weather sealant.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
It's cool to see everyone stocked on the BMX's. There are some people here in Denver with some negative attitudes (Zach) towards the 20 riders. It's really good training and really fun to ride.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
mtnbrider said:
I have a redline rl 360. Its not high end, but its decent. I haven't ridden it a year, because the crank is hittting the chainstay.

My parents could that fixed, but I would rather have them fix my mtb. It always breaks. A few weeks ago, I replaced the thin rickety bontrager rim w/ an ex721. It felt much better and the width helped. A week later my crank fell off (stripped w/ shot bb) just after I pedaled to ellwood,goleta. That was 2 weeks ago. Its at cambria, and should be done soon.

I want to get some cranks off ebay for it.

Bmx is fun, becasue they are small and easy to move. I am not nearly as confident on bigger jumps though.
You rode from Los Olivos to Goleta? That is a pretty good haul. What route did you take?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Threepointtwo said:
Track? whar!?!?!?

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
FCLinder said:
The Greenville and Spartanburg tracks in SC have done the same. There is also a new track up in Hendersonville NC. I think they also used all weather sealant.
Glad to hear you're getting back at it. Even though the weather's a teeny bit colder up there, that seaslant is amazing so you should get some riding in this winter.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You rode from Los Olivos to Goleta? That is a pretty good haul. What route did you take?
It was a little tiring going up the pass. Down other side to SB was gnarly because I had to dodge cars.

Holy Old Thread ! I found it while looking for info on my redline 360. There's pretty much nothing on it.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
I've been thinking about racing 20" went out to one race (was a leukemia benefit) and had a ton of fun. just from the one day I noticed improvement. I'll have to see if my schedual (say wallet) will let me