Quantcast

Training without "training"?

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Gotta say MX and pump tracks are my favorite things to do for "training." I don't really go to the gym anymore but still run stadiums and go for runs on the beach but that's about it. This might be my last year racing for a while so i'm just gonna do some minor things and just have fun out there.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You're not accounting for travel,shower,crap like that.Would make it more like 9-10 hrs in actuality.But yeah,it is funny.Actually,hilarious.
That's even funnier you count showering and driving as part of your "training time". When Lance's says he is pedaling 7 hours a day, he must mean he is actually riding only 3 hours.

[sarcasm off]

I have noticed a lack of time commitment by downhillers. Most XC riders and roadies are probably riding 5-7 hours in a week right now (which could mean indoor trainer time), plus 3 hours in the gym.

By the end of January, they will be riding about 10 hours a week (still mostly on the indoor trainer) and the same 3 in the gym.

This is specifically time exercising, not the real life activities like showering or driving that are part of cycling.

Downhillers have to practice specific skills which endurance riding does nothing for you. Obviously, you will need to drive to the BMX/skate park/pump track on those days.

Basic pedaling and weight lifting I think is important for even DH, and commitment is required to get it done for the next 4 months.

And trust me, I understand about the time commitment. 95% of my workday rides involves bicycle commuting and my gym is 4 blocks from my apartment.

There are days I do two workouts, right now 60 minutes of riding (which sometimes I do indoors) and a lifting session later in the day.

I did a long endurance ride yesterday which became a mud pushing session. While I was exhausted afterwards, I didn't feel particularly sore (or injury myself). That is thanks to my training program.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Xc bikes are meant for xc. SO ride it. Just Ride xc and rock climb. That covers core strength, intervals, hand strenght, upper body, and aerobic. Don't try and give yourself an anaerobic workout if you don't have a strong aerobic base.

SCARY

Not long enough
That's even funnier you count showering and driving as part of your "training time". When Lance's says he is pedaling 7 hours a day, he must mean he is actually riding only 3 hours.

I guess I didn't make the point that my work is more important in the big scheme of things.I work for,and by,myself.There is no one else to make up my 60+ hrs a week.I had to get gym equipment to put in my shop because I couldn't make time for the gym 5 minutes away.

Ive been self employed 15 yrs,I've figured out how much time I need to get said task done on time,and still pay my mortgage.

So forgive me if wonder what the big problem in asking for suggestions for maximizing my results with the lowest time requirements.

I did go to the mx track today and a xc ride yesterday though.But know the big job is getting to crunch time,so...here we are.

But thanks for all the suggestions,there were some good ones.I'm gonna re-apply myself to intervals in front of the shop and do more of what I'm already doing,but with more intensity.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?

I guess I didn't make the point that my work is more important in the big scheme of things.I work for,and by,myself.There is no one else to make up my 60+ hrs a week.I had to get gym equipment to put in my shop because I couldn't make time for the gym 5 minutes away.

Ive been self employed 15 yrs,I've figured out how much time I need to get said task done on time,and still pay my mortgage.

So forgive me if wonder what the big problem in asking for suggestions for maximizing my results with the lowest time requirements.

I did go to the mx track today and a xc ride yesterday though.But know the big job is getting to crunch time,so...here we are.

But thanks for all the suggestions,there were some good ones.I'm gonna re-apply myself to intervals in front of the shop and do more of what I'm already doing,but with more intensity.
I think building up an aerobic base would do you better first. But your intervals in front of your shop will be fine. Just don't do intervals on your xc rides so you can kinda separate your workouts.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Well, I thought you were a kid who didn't want to ride much, not an adult with real responsibilities.

It is a common problem to maximize your time. I do think specific workouts will help, which is training.