Quantcast

Trance as a heavy duty xc/trail bike?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
It's spring which means time for me to start disagreeing with what my wallet says and wanting a new bike.

I can get a pretty good deal on giant bikes. I was looking at the Reign but it sounds like it's a little on the heavy side. My current XC bike is weighing in at around 35lbs and I wouldn't mind it being a little lighter, but I like that I don't have to worry about it breaking.

I'm mostly looking for an XC bike that will climb well but still be really REALLY fun on the descent. Will the trance hold up to a 240lb rider who's relatively fast and doesn't like to take it easy on his bikes. I don't plan on doing any large drops or jumps with this bike, I have a DH bike for that.

What got me wondering is that I heard the Giant 4X team uses the trance. I'm thinking with a slightly taller fork to rake it out a little the geometry could be pretty ideal.

Thoughts? Should I just get the reign and deal with the couple of added pounds in exchange for a stronger frame?

J

JRB

Just on stairs when I test rode the Trance, it seemed choppy. I guess because of the HT angle, since the linkage is all the same. I really like my Reign, but it is 34.5 lbs. I do have DH wheels on it though. If it had some Magura FR wheels, that would save a pound at least.

I think it climbs well. I don't have trouble, other than I am fat and get tired. That happened on a 27 lb bike too though. I can actually clean things that I couldn't going up. All that is with an 06 Z1 Light, so the HT angle on mine is more like 68 to 68.5 degrees, opposed to 69.

I can't say enough good things about the bike. I'll bet a Reign 1 actually weighs around 32.5 lbs, but that is a guess.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Loco, I'm not sure what you mean by "choppy". Can you explain a little more. According to the specs on the giant web site it's only a 1 degree difference in HA. Also the trance has slightly shorter chainstays and it appears to have a lower BB.

I'm thinking that throwing something like a pike on the front of a trance could put the geometry just about identical to the reign.

J

JRB

dfinn said:
does anyone know the frame weight difference between the trance and the reign?
I don't know, but I'll look at the shop. If you call Giant's number, I think the guy is Mike, in warranty, and he will tell you. I am guessing about a pound.

J

JRB

dfinn said:
Loco, I'm not sure what you mean by "choppy". Can you explain a little more. According to the specs on the giant web site it's only a 1 degree difference in HA. Also the trance has slightly shorter chainstays and it appears to have a lower BB.

I'm thinking that throwing something like a pike on the front of a trance could put the geometry just about identical to the reign.
It seemed really rough in it's travel. Harsh I guess is the word.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
loco said:
It seemed really rough in it's travel. Harsh I guess is the word.
Interesting. Same shock, extremely similar rear suspension setup. Perhaps the shock wasn't setup right. Perhaps the trance is only meant for xc riding weight weenies.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Hey Dfinn.... I too am looking for a new trail bike. I'm thinking of getting a used Giant VT. Mr. Amydalayna takes that up and down Mr. Toad's and Xmas DH and he loves it.
But from looking at the Trance, it seems a little too XCish for you.
Wouldn't the Reign fit your riding better?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
My buddy has been using one for trail riding for a while with a 5" fork up front. This slackened out the angles a tad and made for a sweet ride in his opinion. He's 175 w/o gear, so stiffness was much less of an issue.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
amydalayna said:
Wouldn't the Reign fit your riding better?
I think so but at the same time I'm wondering if the Reign is "overbuilt" and I could get by with a ligther and slightly less expensive Trance.

Some threads I'm checking into over on MTBR suggest that the trance frame weighs 2lbs less.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Are you keeping the bike you've got? If so, then the Trance would work.
I'm looking for a bike I can do everything on... Downieville, Chinese DH, etc.... And not have to take the Bullit out. So, I'm leaning towards the Reign. Or if anyone has a used VT they want me to take off their hands.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
I've got an R2 and my roommate has a trance. I wouldn't trade my Reign for anything when it comes to all-purpose riding. Climbs just as well, and tips the scales at 31ish lbs. First thing to upgrade would be to lighter wheels if I ever wanted to feel faster, but not once have I thought it was too heavy. In a perfect world I would have a trace or similar to bridge the gap between it and my hardtail, but no need yet.

In my experience both bikes are very sensitive to rear shock pressures. 5 lbs either way and it makes a huge difference.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
dfinn,

a mate of mine has a Reign with a Pike up front. He's around 200lb and does everything with it - trail, dj, light dh. He can't say enough good things about it. His previous ride is a VT and he much much prefers the Reign.

J

JRB

dfinn - word on weights. It looks like the Trance is about 7.5 lbs, according to peeps on mtbr. My Reign weighed 8.2 lbs, so it's less than 3/4 lb heavier. I prefer the travel for that. That's just me though. Whatever you get - enjoy it.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I tried to call Giant to get specific weights and they would not give them out. I was told by a guy in the warantee dept that the frame weights are pretty close, whithin a pound. He also told me that the 4x team has been racing on the trance w/o problems. It's also nice to hear that these frames have a lifetime warrantee as long as you are the original owner.

J

JRB

dfinn said:
<snip> It's also nice to hear that these frames have a lifetime warrantee as long as you are the original owner.
The reign and the trance, or just the trance???

I'll see what I can dig up at the shop, but the 3/4 lb sounds pretty right.

J

JRB

McGRP01 said:
Loco, what did you pay for your Reign framset? If you don't mind me asking...
$900, but I did some swapping, so a good deal less. I have seen them at Bob's Bicycles for $900 or $950. They may not sell online, but you can likely call and get it for that and have it shipped if the LBS won't do it.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
loco said:
$900, but I did some swapping, so a good deal less. I have seen them at Bob's Bicycles for $900 or $950. They may not sell online, but you can likely call and get it for that and have it shipped if the LBS won't do it.
That's a pretty good price. I think that's only a couple of hundred over cost.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
dfinn said:
I'm mostly looking for an XC bike that will climb well but still be really REALLY fun on the descent. Will the trance hold up to a 240lb rider who's relatively fast and doesn't like to take it easy on his bikes.
I got a 2005 Trance 2 and it is lots of fun. I weigh 225+ and haven't had any durability problems yet. I do mostly XC type riding with log crossings, roots, ravines, rocks, etc. IMO, the thing that is the best about it is that it is predictable.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
dfinn said:
how does your roomie like his trance? does it ride it pretty hard?
Roommate likes the Trance, though he got the 4 which comes with a manipoo axel- got trashed since he's a clydesdale. The Derailleur hanger also busted, but that was more rider error. The frame itself is solid. Nothing but good things to say.