Quantcast

Tranfer Speed difference between a Card Reader, and just a camera

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
OK, so this weekend, I am taking a LOT of pictures. I have a 1gig microdrive, and transferring it from my camera takes 30-45 minutes. The only reason I haven't gotten a card reader yet is because I don't have USB2. Through USB 1.1, will it be faster to transfer using a card reader?

J

JRB

BigMike said:
wow, that sounded REALLY gay didnt it?
Yes - but I don't think there is anything wrong with that. My camera downloads pretty quickly with USB 2.0, so I don't know that a card reader would help. Seems like you still have to transfer, unless you have a mac with osmosis or something.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
if you just have usb 1.1 the difference in speed will be negligible. buy a usb 2.0 card for $20 and slap that card in a usb 2.0 reader (or substitute firewire for usb 2.0 if you swing that way)

oh, and microdrives are notoriously slow. if you're sticking w/ the microdrive forget the usb 2.0 idea and just wait. :D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Toshi said:
if you just have usb 1.1 the difference in speed will be negligible. buy a usb 2.0 card for $20 and slap that card in a usb 2.0 reader (or substitute firewire for usb 2.0 if you swing that way)

oh, and microdrives are notoriously slow. if you're sticking w/ the microdrive forget the usb 2.0 idea and just wait. :D

Well poo on the microdrive then :)

And I can't get a usb card, because I need it for my laptop :D

and I do have firewire, but....... they dont make firewire card readers. I've looked everywhere for them.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
you can always go and get yourself a polaroid camera.... you can take 24 pics and it takes only 5 minutes to develop.. its the new rave !!! :thumb: