Quantcast

Transcend Orange 224

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Very stylish. Looks strangely different than other 224s but in a good way. Oldschool colour and stickers.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Fancy! Looks like a top-notch job on the stickers.

:)

With a tubeless set-up those 224's must be ridiculously light weight.
The 15", with fairly normal parts, tubeless, and some ti hardware and spring they are high 36s. The 17" in the picture sits about high 37 if I remember right.

There's another potential 22X bike joining the party next Wednesday. Photos to follow. :)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Transcend, are You still happy with ZTR Flow rims?
I've got Mavics XM321... would you trade them for ZTR Flow?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'm quite happy with the ZTR flows as race rims or rims for a lighter rider. If you are a big guy, or freehucking to flat and rocks, I wouldn't recommend them. As a race rim though, they are fantastic.

Of 4 riders, only one so far has managed to hurt a rim, and he is 200+ pounds and 6'+. He is also reknowned for destroying things. They lasted the US Open under him with no problem.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Transcend, I am 170cm (5'7"?) and about 65kg (145lbs), so definetelly small guy ;)
I don't race, I don't huck... I am just rinding along ;)
Pls remind be, what hubs and spokes did you use?

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Have those frames changed that much in the last 10 years.
Do they need to??? When it comes down to it, how much can you change something so simple???
For records sake though, there's been small updates just about every year an the only parts from my recollection that haven't changed since the original 222 are the top tube an the seat tube.

Same could be said for your new Karp, how different is that to the old ones???

But keep an eye out i think big changes are afoot at Orange:cheers:

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's heat treated? ;)

Sry but I had to.

As for orange they put much more pressure on the geo and overall frame feel instead of gimmicky susp so on the outside changes are small as they seem mostly to tweak the geo (and the breaking cs some time ago in 222-223). It's that numbers people love them for. Almost went for one myself.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Do they need to??? When it comes down to it, how much can you change something so simple???
For records sake though, the only parts from my recollection that haven't changed sine the original 224 are the top tube an the seat tube.

But keep an eye out i think big changes are afoot at Orange:cheers:
While there are some aesthetic similarities to the older Karpiels, it's a completely different bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is one of those things that I forecasted years ago.

Cannondale, Morewood, Orange, others. They all slowly moved to linkage-actuated SP designs. There are just too many advantage to never upgrade. Sure, Orange dialed the geometry, refined, blah blah blah, but in the end they can have an even better perfoming bike if they do all the blah blah blah with a decent linkage controlled SP design. It is funny to seem the "eat their own words" so to speak, but that's probably better in the long run than subbornly claiming that their non-linkage bike somehow can compete with the others. The lateral rigidity and shock-rate-control of a linkage design can not be matched.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Told you they would look sick Fraser!

I'm glad we went with white, can't wait to see the pics from ft bill.

How do the names look? The pic on the iPhone is too small.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
was it you Fraser today at the yellow tent next to the lift line with the baby blue 224?

what kind of rear shock was that? x-fusion?

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
This is one of those things that I forecasted years ago.

Cannondale, Morewood, Orange, others. They all slowly moved to linkage-actuated SP designs. There are just too many advantage to never upgrade. Sure, Orange dialed the geometry, refined, blah blah blah, but in the end they can have an even better perfoming bike if they do all the blah blah blah with a decent linkage controlled SP design. It is funny to seem the "eat their own words" so to speak, but that's probably better in the long run than subbornly claiming that their non-linkage bike somehow can compete with the others. The lateral rigidity and shock-rate-control of a linkage design can not be matched.
Yeah they're moving forwards all time...unlike some other company's who never seem to make progress an keep on producing the same ol iron (Cough Avalanche Cough):biggrin:

Tell us, what else have you forecasted????

Oh an it should be obvious from the comments on here that a nice simple single pivot still has a lot of fans:cheers:

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah they're moving forwards all time...unlike some other company's who never seem to make progress an keep on producing the same ol iron (Cough Avalanche Cough):
Well, when you're that far ahead, it takes a lot of time for others to catch up, hence Push using the avy internals now (not to mention that Avy came out with their high/low compresion adjuster circut, so they didn't exactly just stagnate, and they brought their technology to many different shock configurations).

Otherwise, you may be a fan of SPs, but I'd be willing to bet that every company that makes their front-line DH bike as a SP with no linkages will eventually move to linkages or die.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've got Mavics EN321, DT Competition 2.0-1.8 and Hope Pro 2 hubs, as well.
ZTRs are very tempting :)
Do you use them as tubeless? No problems with inflating? Is floor pump enough to do that?

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Are the riders using UST tyres or standard dual ply?
Fraser is actually travelling on his way to Europe so let me answer that question.

Actually we were using both, but mostly UST tyres.

Some other nice benefits we have noticed with the ZTR rims besides their light weight

- No burbing yet on UST tires even at very low pressures 22 psi etc.

- the low height of the rim's side walls reduce the chance of pinching and cutting the tires around the bead, something we saw often on a Mavic 823.

- Very easy to install tires on rim "by hand "

- Rims hold air really well even when sidewalls are dented.

- Easily inflated with a standard floor pump.

Transcend Magazine Team

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
- the low height of the rim's side walls reduce the chance of pinching and cutting the tires around the bead, something we saw often on a Mavic 823.
Interesting, maybe I should try some USTs again - the bead cutting is the problem I got when I tried them on 823s...

You know swapping to USTs would save me a whopping further 400g, taking my Devinchi from it's lardy (haha) 34.8lb to sub-34 territory! And that's still with a 32mm coil Boxxer :D

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I've ridden a lot of bikes.
The Orange 223 I had a few years back still stands out as a favourite.
It may be nostalgia, it may be that I pulled better results on it than on any other bike since, but I still think that design is one of the best out there.

I haven't ridden one since, however, so I may try one, only to find out it is nostalgia...
:doh::redface: