Quantcast

Transfering files from win98-xp?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I;m totally useless, how do I transfer files and programs from an old pc with win98 to a new one with winxp? I have the networking cable. I just have no idea how to do it please help.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
The easiest way I've found to transfer files between computers is to use some sort of external storage. I have a 60GB external firewire HD that I've recently backed up all my documents on. When my new laptop arrives in the next 2-3 weeks, I'll simply plug the drive into the firewire port and copy to the new machine. This is also good for creating a backup of your files, which is essential. Just ask anyone who's lost computer files.

Or you could try this solution: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000246.htm

As far as programs go, you can't copy installed programs. You'll need the install discs and re-install to your new machine.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
stosh said:
Do you have a Crossover Cat 5 cable?
Yeah i went and bought a network card for the old one. Installed it, and have the cross over cable. When you attch the to computors with the cable... than what?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
pixelninja said:
The easiest way I've found to transfer files between computers is to use some sort of external storage. I have a 60GB external firewire HD that I've recently backed up all my documents on. When my new laptop arrives in the next 2-3 weeks, I'll simply plug the drive into the firewire port and copy to the new machine. This is also good for creating a backup of your files, which is essential. Just ask anyone who's lost computer files.

Or you could try this solution: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000246.htm

As far as programs go, you can't copy installed programs. You'll need the install discs and re-install to your new machine.
Yeah I would be happy to use my Zen 40GB drive to transfer stuff but it's off being warrentied and I won't get it back for like 3 weeks.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
JMAC said:
Yeah i went and bought a network card for the old one. Installed it, and have the cross over cable. When you attch the to computors with the cable... than what?
Thats the same point I'm at. :)

I'm trying to connect my Laptop and PC.

I'm about 1/2 step further as I've got them to recgonize each other. There are alot of IT guys on here who I'm sure can help IF not let me know and I'll direct you where to look.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Are they both desktops? If so you can just install the old hard drive into the new computer and transfer the data to the new HDD.

If it is a laptop and a desktop like Stosh just give up all hope.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
stosh said:

I'm about 1/2 step further as I've got them to recgonize each other. There are alot of IT guys on here who I'm sure can help IF not let me know and I'll direct you where to look.
LOL i was just trying with my laptop also. My laptop seems to believe it's connected but I;m sure it's confused. :rolleyes:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Westy said:
Are they both desktops? If so you can just install the old hard drive into the new computer and transfer the data to the new HDD.
Clever Clever Might just do that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
JMAC said:
Clever Clever Might just do that.
It is what I have done on my last two new computers. So now I have three drives in it, now I just use the old drives as redundant backups.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:

If it is a laptop and a desktop like Stosh just give up all hope.
duh why didn't I think of that....?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
So what exactly do I do just pull out the old hd and stick it in the new pc and all will be well again......?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
The Toninator said:
you'll have to stack it

try to share out your old drive then do an RDC from Xp to it.
WOW i have no idea what you;re talking about.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
JMAC said:
So what exactly do I do just pull out the old hd and stick it in the new pc and all will be well again......?
There are two ways of doing it, it will depend how your new PC had the HDD and CDRom connected. hopefully the new PC has spare connections for signal and power. The cable to your main hdd will probably have two connectors on it, one for a master one for a slave. The current hdd in the new computer will be connected as and set up as the master. Plug in a spare power connector to the old hdd, and plug in the other "slave" connector. You will have to set up the old drive as a slave, this is usually done by jumpers on the back of the drive.

Or you can take the signal cable out of the old PC and just plug it into an empty bus slot on the new PC, it will be right next to the signal cable going to the new PC hdd. There will be no need to set it up as a slave

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
JMAC said:
WOW i have no idea what you;re talking about.
that's cool because you dont actually have to do an RDC if you've shared the drive, i must be high. you can actually just 'map new drive' from within 'Explore.' From there you can do the file swap.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stosh said:

If the new machine has XP then run the network setup wizard. I believe it should have what you are looking for.

You can indeed take the old HDD and place it in the new PC. Take out the old drive and look at the back of it where the cables connect. You should see the jumpers back there (7 or so pins with a plastic dealy bob connecting two of them) Set the jumpers to SLAVE (jeeethuth crithst!). The label on the HDD should give a small diagram as to what positions are master slave, ets. Place the drive on the MIDDLE position on the ribbon cable. Check the jumpers on the new drive and make sure it's set to MASTER. It should be on the end position on the ribbon cable. Make sure all drives have power and fire up the PC. Under My Computer you should see all your HDDs there. From there it's just copy and paste. After you are done you can reformat the old drive and you will have more storage space.

If you have or will have more than one PC my recommendation is to get a ROUTER. when the PC's are all plugged into the router it's a simple matter of START-RUN then type in "\\COMPUTER NAME\c$" (Without the quotes and substituting yout computer name for COMPUTER NAME) This will connect you to the other PC's hard drive.

You can PM me if you have any questions.

Hope it helps!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ciaran said:
If the new machine has XP then run the network setup wizard. I believe it should have what you are looking for.

You can indeed take the old HDD and place it in the new PC. Take out the old drive and look at the back of it where the cables connect. You should see the jumpers back there (7 or so pins with a plastic dealy bob connecting two of them) Set the jumpers to SLAVE (jeeethuth crithst!). The label on the HDD should give a small diagram as to what positions are master slave, ets. Place the drive on the MIDDLE position on the ribbon cable. Check the jumpers on the new drive and make sure it's set to MASTER. It should be on the end position on the ribbon cable. Make sure all drives have power and fire up the PC. Under My Computer you should see all your HDDs there. From there it's just copy and paste. After you are done you can reformat the old drive and you will have more storage space.

If you have or will have more than one PC my recommendation is to get a ROUTER. when the PC's are all plugged into the router it's a simple matter of START-RUN then type in "\\COMPUTER NAME\c$" (Without the quotes and substituting yout computer name for COMPUTER NAME) This will connect you to the other PC's hard drive.

You can PM me if you have any questions.

Hope it helps!
I have a router so hmmm how do I know what my computors name is.lol

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok well I still need the old comp someone else is going to use it. It has 2 drives in the old pc. anyways I still may just do the slave thing but is there no way to make a network with a pc running win98 and one running xp it seems impossible.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
My win98 machine died before I got it working, but with 2000 I couldn't get them to see each other until I used their router assigned IP addresses. Then everything was great.

Remember you have to share the drive for it to be seen. Right click the drive -- select properties and share. If you have everything password protected, sometimes it helps to set the passwords and user names the same on both computers.