Quantcast

Transition Bandit

TrailzHozer

Monkey
Jan 29, 2010
We counted a larger percentage of Bandit customers using a front derailleur. Granted there will be quite a few who prefer a single ring setup (myself included) we had to look at the big picture.
Although there are many regions where a single ring will work, there are more where it won't. That being said, there's nothing keeping you from utilizing a bb mount chainguide, or adapter.
FYI: ISCG tabs are good for dual ring guides and not just single ring. :thumb:

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I called a couple days ago, they said May :(

Looks like I'll be getting another trail bike in the meantime.
Ewww....Hmmm..... Yeah.....
I'm in the market for a new trailbike now....
I thought that I had initially heard Feb/March but I know that this is the bike industry that we're talking about here.... So I was being hopeful, but not holding my breath...
I don't mind waiting a few months but.....
Man...I'm really into this frame.
Could end up on a Spitty though if that's the timeframe that we're talking about.... DRATS!

DaysofDirt

Chimp
Dec 3, 2010
What about the Devinci Dexter then for a trail bike?! I'm gonna get a Dixon for bigger all-mountain/fr applications, but the Dexter would be such a killer shorter travel option man!

I just looked up the 2 diff geos offered by the Dexter, and appart the seatpost being slacker, head-angle a tiny bit steeper, the Devinci looks pretty ****in sweet, on top of that it's handbuilt by our Canadian neighboors! The frame's got 2 diff geos, higher and lower, and you've got the option of running 135mm rear or 142mm!!

Let me know what you think, both are killer frames, but in my own opinion Devinci's a bit more refined of a ride! Let the words flow now!

Cheers

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
That's awesome... and makes me want to gravitate to it a little more... just with the HA was a degree or so slacker.
i think you are covered : "Tapered 1.5" / 1-1/8" (1.5" 49.6mm ID Lower Cup / 1-1/8" 44mm ID Upper Cup)"

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
http://www.devinci.com/bikes/browse_9#9_30_88

Just found out they have lifetime warranty on all frames, ****in' sweet then! And they are sporting' Dave Weagle's split-pivot...aw yeahhhhh!!
+

I looked at that a while ago....
Did you see the price when compared with a Bandit or a Spitfire?

Why not look at the Fuel Ex....lifetime warranty, ABP (splitpivot), and cheaper....also won trail bike of the year.....?

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
If they are using the same system as the 450 it is a drop in top bearing so no go on the angleset.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
It is new, supposedly only the first batch of "2011" TR450's still had the drop in bearing.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
So I know a bit of a gravedig, but did anybody get one yet? Are they out or still floating on the boat on their way to here?

I'm excited for this frame. I'd love to hear someone who rode both Bandit and Spitfire to share opinions, although it may be a bit asking too much since the Bandit has not gained widespread popularity yet

Last edited:

monni

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Finland
Bit of an old topic I know, but finished the Bandit last night, first impressions are good all around.
Coming from a medium Spitfire and went for a large Bandit, seems to be the right choice.

Pretty all-out build on this one, 150mm version of the fork. 26lbs with pedals as shot.

monni

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Finland
why get this over a spitfire?
That's a good question. Probably would've gotten a Spitfire now, if I had the Bandit (or something else) before. No reason really, except that new bike > old bike I guess..

Ended up a touch lighter and a bit longer too, which were the two main points when I convinced myself to pull the trigger on this one. I'll try to write up differencies between the two as soon as I get some riding in on this one.

monni

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Finland
174cm so 5'8 or 5'9.

Almost ordered a medium based on thesuggestions on the Transition website, but after going through the geo numbers over and over finally decided to go for the large. Feels great with a short (60mm) stem, which was the idea too.

One setback though, the large frame has such a tall seattube, that I can't use a Reverb on this one, as it would require more seatpost exposed. Think that for my shortish legs the 75mm Specialized Command Post would be the only option. 155mm from the top of the seat tube to the middle of the rails for me on the large Bandit, Reverb requires minimum of 190mm.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of this compared to a spitfire!

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I've ridden both. The Bandit pedals much better and has none of the bushing/frame wear issues that the Spitfire has.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
That's almost exactly what I'm looking for, I wish it had bottle mounts though.

Edit: Is it trivial that one of my requirements for my next trail bike frame is bottle mounts?
Not at all! I have to have them too! I hate a backpack bouncing all over the whole time...

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
174cm so 5'8 or 5'9.

Almost ordered a medium based on thesuggestions on the Transition website, but after going through the geo numbers over and over finally decided to go for the large. Feels great with a short (60mm) stem, which was the idea too.

One setback though, the large frame has such a tall seattube, that I can't use a Reverb on this one, as it would require more seatpost exposed. Think that for my shortish legs the 75mm Specialized Command Post would be the only option. 155mm from the top of the seat tube to the middle of the rails for me on the large Bandit, Reverb requires minimum of 190mm.
Wow! Shocked to hear you are 5'8" to 5'9" and like the Large. Understandable that the seat tube is too long... we certainly had taller folks in mind with that size. Sorry! Sounds like you are making it work though.

certified

Chimp
Aug 31, 2011
UK
I've ridden both. The Bandit pedals much better and has none of the bushing/frame wear issues that the Spitfire has.
I have ridden both, with similar setups, the Spitfire just feels more planted, and just more confident in corners and rough stuff, I found they peddled about the same.

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
Wow! Shocked to hear you are 5'8" to 5'9" and like the Large. Understandable that the seat tube is too long... we certainly had taller folks in mind with that size. Sorry! Sounds like you are making it work though.
i'm 177cm and going by the geo sheet i'm looking at the large too. my current bike is a spitfire and my medium has a longer wheelbase than the bandit large. slacker head angle and longer chainstays figure into this but i don't want to be cramped. the large bandit is slightly longer in reach so sounds ideal for me with a 40-50mm stem.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Here it is, my bandit, waited on the updated 142mm spacing to pop up, when it did I ordered this guy. The bandit replaces my old covert which was a bit much for the local terrain (and I now own a tr250 for DH/FR). I wrestled with myself on going with the 29’er but settled on the 26 for my riding style. Really amazing bike up close, the parts spec is pretty much exactly what I like with a few exceptions:

- 10spd at some point but had the 9spd stuff around
- Tires are 2.2 Wetscreams for the bad conditions right now, in the summer I’ll probably run a Highroller/Larson 2.3 combo
- Lace up the i9 wheels to some ENVE rims later this year
- Depending on location I will most likely swap the fork for a dropped 36 float

Big plans for this bike over the coming year(s) doing some fairly epic trips in Northern Canada (Yukon), PNW road trip with some riding in Oregon, Washington, North Shore, Whistler, Pemby...Working on some other trips for the coming year but nothing is set in stone. Really psyched to clock some serious miles on this bike.

My finely calibrated hand puts this bike right around 26 lbs. But I really have no idea on exacts.

the associates

Last edited:

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Great job on that build man.... Really liking that one. I'm still up in the air about what's next. The Bandit has always been on my radar. After seeing yours? Jumps it way back up on the list.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
thanks man - unfortunately snow fell for the first time this season last night *hard, no ride today as planned. But...Makes for some great photo weather.

Neighbors might think im a bit off for walking into the valley behind the house with my bike on my shoulder and ski goggles on though...