Quantcast

Transition Chainguide

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Coming from a company that sells a $280 wheelset, a ~$90 plate with some plastic bits doesn't seem that cheap.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
...But, I suppose now that it's been said, there will be a $300, Specialized-specific chainguide released soon...
Or try to sue you when they read this because they feel it is inflinging(sp?) on their ideas that they claim already have a patent.

YAH for sue happy corporate companies!!:banana:

Jun 5, 2007
to kinda' clarify things a little:
it's only being offered in a single ring option at this time. it's designed to work with transition frames (although it may work with others). it's offered w/o a bash ring because just about every single and dual ring crankset offered, comes with a bashring (i can't think of one off the top of my head that doesn't). because of this, it's being offered at a slightly more affordable price. it comes fully assembled. and it's available in five cool colors.

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I like it, there are colors to choose from, and the Transition guys are good people, out there riding their bikes and helping the riding community. Transcend on the other hand is DW's mini me.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
JensonUSA has a storefront with the same prices.

Citing online prices is easier than saying "mom and pops store sells it for X"

Let me guess, you work in a bike shop and the owners are always complaining about how online shops are killing them? I've worked in shops before and have heard that as well. Business was booming fine, sure you'll get a guy come in and try to pricematch online but its quick/easy to explain to them the benefit....
You and I actually are pretty much in complete agreement. The thing people tend to not think about is that it costs bike more than the price of the part to sell it, shipping, taxes, rent, insurance, payroll, electric, advertising, giving back to the community, supporting races etc. That stuff isn't free. If a bike shop makes 10% profit at the end of the year things are pretty good. That being said, if I sell an e.13 for $135, 10% less than e.13 posts as their msrp our bike shop makes zero dollars.

I don't think it should be easy on bike shops. I think they need to carry their own weight. If they suck, to hell with them. But if the whole playing field was a little bit more even, things would be a lot better.

And to explain why I don't think discounting prices helps bring new riders in, is because less riders drives prices up. Fewer riders = fewers parts being made = higher production costs = more money for the consumer. If e.13 was making millions of guides, Jenson's prices would not look so hot.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
You and I actually are pretty much in complete agreement. The thing people tend to not think about is that it costs bike more than the price of the part to sell it, shipping, taxes, rent, insurance, payroll, electric, advertising, giving back to the community, supporting races etc. That stuff isn't free. If a bike shop makes 10% profit at the end of the year things are pretty good. That being said, if I sell an e.13 for $135, 10% less than e.13 posts as their msrp our bike shop makes zero dollars.

I don't think it should be easy on bike shops. I think they need to carry their own weight. If they suck, to hell with them. But if the whole playing field was a little bit more even, things would be a lot better.

And to explain why I don't think discounting prices helps bring new riders in, is because less riders drives prices up. Fewer riders = fewers parts being made = higher production costs = more money for the consumer. If e.13 was making millions of guides, Jenson's prices would not look so hot.
Bravo for a good synopsis of MSRP and profit margin! You make the point really well.

I really love hearing "do you know how much it really costs companies to make these things?" Those same people often forget that there at 3 parties that need to make some money before the product gets in your hands (and that is ignoring the shipping companies, etc). Otherwise... there may not be a product getting in your hands ever again. No distributor, no shop, and we are all making homemade chainguides with recycled materials. And yes... there is nothing worse than low down dirty e-tailing but it seems to me that a lot of shops forget that they need to focus on their customer service to earn the extra $$ over mail order.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
There are a couple people I ride with who have had issues getting certain guides to fit their frames (bottlerockets). It was more than once that I heard "man, why can't they (transition) either change the frame to have better fit with what is available on the market, or perhaps release their own guide that will work?"

Job well done guys. If this fixes the issues that some of your customers are seeing (and at a competitive price), you are doing your part in the customer service dept for sure!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
it holds the chain on the crankset. it fits in the chainguide. I don't see how there is a downside to saving money on a system that works?:confused:

if it were missing the roller, that would be like shipping a car without a tranny. but I have multiple bashguards laying around, why would I need to buy another if one of them fit?

Kyle,
I think it's a great idea, Kyle! You guys actually fulfilled one of my secret wishes. (Now why don't you guys work on your own 30.0 seatposts and some 104/4 chainrings? :D) Works perfect for my setup too, as I already had the bash that came with the Gap crankset I got from you.

I've been fighting my Syncros guide all summer (as I did my prototype last summer) to the point where the only stock piece left was the boomerang. I was to the point of redesigning my own upper slider (again) until I saw this. Way to go! :cheers:

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Back from the dead...

Would catastrophic results insue if I used this CG without a bash ring on a singlespeed Bottlerocket? I just bought a blinged out BMX crankset with a gold chainring (that can't hold a bash ring) and I don't want to cover up one square millimeter of the chainring. It's a 33T chainring and I don't want to put a giant chunky looking LG-1 on it either. I plan on trying to run it without a chainguide first but I want to see if there are options for me other than the LG-1.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
you will need the bash to hold the chain on otherwise it will fall off. period end of story. you could get an old mrp and run the rollers tight but it doesnt work that well. I run 34t deity sprokets with lg1's on 3 of my bikes and they look awesome and weight nothing.