Quantcast

Transition Chainguide

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
Saw this this morning, new Transition bikes chainguide.

heres the link http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Components_Chainguide.cfm

Description form the site

If you are running anywhere from a 32-36 tooth single chainring setup then this guide is what you need. Our guide is super light and simple to setup, and probably the least expensive guide out there...plus we give you five colors to choose from. Our chainguide offering comes with backplate guide and roller/guide assemblies only. Bash guard is not included. This guide works with FSA/Truvativ/MRP/Shimano/Raceface bash guards up to 36 tooth.

Chainguide Features:
6061 heat treated Alloy
ISCG chainguide mounting standard
Fits 32-36 tooth chainring setups
Engineered to work seamlessly on all Transition Bikes' models with ISCG mounts
Easily serviceable with 2 fully sealed bearings
Nylock nuts used throughout so the hardware doesn't bounce loose
165 grams including hardware (bash guard not included)
Colors: Black, Gold, Red, Blue, Green

MSRP: $89 USD

looks sweet to me and its cheep too. think I may need a red one for my TOP.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
like the color options, but they shouldn't say its "probably the least expensive out there." add a bash guard and it's right in line with everyone else.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Is it 1999 again? I Think I still have one of these in my garage somewhere..

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcend
$89 and it doesn't include a bashguard, which is integral to it working?

Not to mention an adapter if you don't have ISCG tabs.
most dual ring cranksets come with a bashguard nowdays, no sence spending money twice. As for the ISCG tabs, they built the guide to work with a transition bike. all the TBC's have ISCG tabs. if it works for other bikes, great, if not, there are other options.

I rode the guide a bit this summer and it worked perfect. it fit the bikes really well, was easy to set up, and I never lost a chain. seems like a great guide for the majority of people out there.

Kyle,

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Except those bashguards are meant to protect the chain/chainring from impact rather than being an integral part of a chain retention device.
Exactly. Basically, this is like shipping a car without the transmission.
edit: and then claiming the car is $4000 cheaper than the competition, and comes in more colors.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
it holds the chain on the crankset. it fits in the chainguide. I don't see how there is a downside to saving money on a system that works?:confused:

if it were missing the roller, that would be like shipping a car without a tranny. but I have multiple bashguards laying around, why would I need to buy another if one of them fit?

Kyle,

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Once you add the price of a bashguard, the price is the same as most other guides. If you bought an e13/mrp/gamut guide without a bash it'd be almost the same price as this one, perhaps cheaper.

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
it holds the chain on the crankset. it fits in the chainguide. I don't see how there is a downside to saving money on a system that works?:confused:

if it were missing the roller, that would be like shipping a car without a tranny. but I have multiple bashguards laying around, why would I need to buy another if one of them fit?

Kyle,

What if I dont have multiple bashguards lying around?

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
SRS plastics msrp i think is ~20, backplate i'm not sure.

LG1 plastics are more, but that wouldn't be quite as fair to compare.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SRS plastics msrp i think is ~20, backplate i'm not sure.

LG1 plastics are more, but that wouldn't be quite as fair to compare.
Ya that's a good point. I think a backplate is around $40-50? So I guess an SRS without one of it's most important parts is actually the cheapest chainguide around, given transitions scale.

Exactly. Basically, this is like shipping a car without the transmission.
edit: and then claiming the car is $4000 cheaper than the competition, and comes in more colors.
the claim was that it was "probably" the cheapest. there was no claim to actually be the cheapest....

but, i honestly expect nothing less than some good old fashioned product bashing since it wasn't created by DW...

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
I have bunches of bash guards kicking around. Its not a popularity contest here its just another simple option for a device to keep a chain on. Its just a chain guide.

Now when someone finally adds a bottle opener to inner of the boomerang then we have something to talk about.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
the claim was that it was "probably" the cheapest. there was no claim to actually be the cheapest....

but, i honestly expect nothing less than some good old fashioned product bashing since it wasn't created by DW...
you want product bashing? fine.

E-thirteen's work. I've been abusing them since I started DH (5 years ago). I've shattered one. Yes. Shattered. It's in 4 pieces. Anything less and I would've done serious damage to my linkage. I trust my experiences. Congrats to someone else trying to capitalize on the market. Good luck.

Therefore, E-thirteen and dw rulez. That is all.

Kthxbai.:busted:

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
From e.13, any of their complete guides have an msrp of $150, including the LG-1, which doesn't even include a bash guard, which if you want a taco will set you back another $50. As far as piecing one together, the lg1- conversion kit, which doesn't even include a lower pulley (just the plastic) will retail for $50-60. The pulley is probably about $20 and the boomerang isn't available through the normal distributors.
The whole chainguide industry is a racket. E.13 is just one example because they are the most popular.
I am pretty sure I could come up with one that works just as well and sell it for like $40 and turn a pretty good margin. Sure there is some engineering, but most of that is usually done with the dremel after we already bought the thing. I mean, sandwich the chain and keep it quiet. What else is there really to it?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I am pretty sure I could come up with one that works just as well and sell it for like $40 and turn a pretty good margin.

Sure there is some engineering, but most of that is usually done with the dremel after we already bought the thing. I mean, sandwich the chain and keep it quiet. What else is there really to it?
Then do it, you will be swimming in money. The bike industry isn't huge, but OEM deals are enough to make you serious money if you can just toss something together for $40 and no development time.

#2, you obviously have NO CLUE as to the amount of research and development that has gone into the e.13 guides, including custom polycarbonate mixtures for the bashguards. I'm sure DW would be happy to explain.

Also, MSRP is $150 on the SRS, but you can find it for closer to $115. LG1 parts tree is around $50 (SRS around $15, including roller), and the backplates and supercharger (bashguard) are around $35 each as well. Bearing kits are $10. The Lg1 comes without a lower roller, as they expect you to use the same one from your SRS if you are buying only a parts tree.

The backplate is available, as they make multiple versions of it (wide, extra wide etc). All these prices are from pricepoint or jenson. All other small parts are available from e.13 directly.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
^^ there is a difference between pricepoint/jenson and MSRP. the transition ring is an MSRP pricing. comparing msrp to msrp, the transition guide is a cheaper alternative.

Kyle,

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I predict that Transition prob has a blingy matching bash/guide ring in the works as well. Then they can sell it separately, call each unit a less expensive option and all the TBC loyals will jump on it. Could be smart marketing, could be not. It's just another product option from a smaller company, like we've never seen that before? Who cares? No one's making any of you buy them, stop bitching. Christ, just read a different damn thread, there's plenty of crap on here these days...

And in TBCs defense, they've had a few issues trying to get guides to fit on the BRs. Now Special--ed just needs to make one for the SX that fits just a tiny bit better than the E13.... hey.. that's funny! I think that's got to be the only fugging product the BIG RED "S" doesn't make yet!! But, I suppose now that it's been said, there will be a $300, Specialized-specific chainguide released soon...

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
#2, you obviously have NO CLUE as to the amount of research and development that has gone into the e.13 guides...

Also, MSRP is $150 on the SRS, but you can find it for closer to $115.

All these prices are from pricepoint or jenson.
I made that first post under dirt jumpers name because I didn't realize I was signed in under his account.

The thing is I really don't feel putting one out. It is not what interests me and I am perfectly content just complaining.

And I do understand how much work went into the e.13. DW is clearly ranks up there with biggest perfectionists out there. I have seen his posts.

But most importantly, who are you looking out for here? You think you are looking out for the bike industry but you are not. Places like pricepoint and jenson kill the industry. Wouldn't it be nice to touch and feel products before you buy them? Wouldn't it be nice if your local bike shop carried the parts we want? Bike shops have a lot of bills to pay, but they can't pay them if online shops are selling things for the same price the shops are buying them for. The bike industry needs to start looking out for itself. People will pay good money for goods if that is what they cost. Companies need to start protecting the value of their products or lower their own prices. I have heard how much it costs e.13 to produce a guide (I know this ignores the engineering costs) and their margins are surely at a healthy level. Not to pick on E.13, because they are not alone, but it doesn't seem that they care too much about the health of the rest of the industry.

Online shops and companies that don't care, kill the industry because they don't allow it to grow. Numbers will stay the same unless products are made more accessible to the average person, who hasn't been riding for years or doesn't have friends that have been riding for years. When a new person walks into a bike shop they need to see a knowledgeable sales person who can explain and show them the bikes and goods they might be interested in.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
_bp said:
I made that first post under dirt jumpers name because I didn't realize I was signed in under his account.

The thing is I really don't feel putting one out. It is not what interests me and I am perfectly content just complaining.

And I do understand how much work went into the e.13. DW is clearly ranks up there with biggest perfectionists out there. I have seen his posts.

But most importantly, who are you looking out for here? You think you are looking out for the bike industry but you are not. Places like pricepoint and jenson kill the industry. Wouldn't it be nice to touch and feel products before you buy them? Wouldn't it be nice if your local bike shop carried the parts we want? Bike shops have a lot of bills to pay, but they can't pay them if online shops are selling things for the same price the shops are buying them for. The bike industry needs to start looking out for itself. People will pay good money for goods if that is what they cost. Companies need to start protecting the value of their products or lower their own prices. I have heard how much it costs e.13 to produce a guide (I know this ignores the engineering costs) and their margins are surely at a healthy level. Not to pick on E.13, because they are not alone, but it doesn't seem that they care too much about the health of the rest of the industry.

Online shops and companies that don't care, kill the industry because they don't allow it to grow. Numbers will stay the same unless products are made more accessible to the average person, who hasn't been riding for years or doesn't have friends that have been riding for years. When a new person walks into a bike shop they need to see a knowledgeable sales person who can explain and show them the bikes and goods they might be interested in.
JensonUSA has a storefront with the same prices.

Citing online prices is easier than saying "mom and pops store sells it for X"

Let me guess, you work in a bike shop and the owners are always complaining about how online shops are killing them? I've worked in shops before and have heard that as well. Business was booming fine, sure you'll get a guy come in and try to pricematch online but its quick/easy to explain to them the benefit.

Why do some shops charge more for service than others when it doesn't take them that long to do a service? It's because they feel they're offering a better service than the next shop.

E.13 feels they have a superior product. Why should it be cheaper than a product they feel is lower in quality and effectiveness? I have yet to see an e.13 guide close to cost on Jenson or Pricepoint.

The STS is $150 and the SRS is $100 on there. Add shipping to that and if a shop can't compete with that price (by offering immediate availability, technical support if need be, and other technical services to help the customer) there's probably something else wrong.

Selling a product has nothing to do with how much it cost to make necessarily. Re-investment / new engineering is where a lot of the money goes. E.13 gives back to the community as well as other good companies. E.13 not caring about the industry.. that's a funny one.

Maybe you should be asking your bike shop how they can give back to the industry more to get a cheaper option for new people to ride bikes. More demo days, supporting the local races, offering used bikes, and cheaper options for entry into biking.

Online shops don't kill good bike shops. A poor shop yes. Supporting a LBS is good, but if that shop isn't any good why would you support them and their efforts? The shops that are loosing to online shops are ones that are looking for an excuse for their demise. Hire competent workers, support the cycling community, offer respectable prices & services, and you will have loyal customers. Companies that support (or only will sell to LBS) are great for the LBS, but not for all consumers.

There are people who don't have good LBS, or do their own wrenching so why should their needs be any less important? Price minimums are what should be set if anything in the industry. Excuses for high prices at the bike store only drive more people to find other alternates to get their products from.

Saying you could sell that same part for $40, and make a profit is funny though.

The Transition guide should work well for Transition bikes and that seems to be their only intention. Offering some variety in colors is no doubt welcomed piece by their customers. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it and you can make your own for $40 but i have a feeling you'll be buying one anyway.

When you buy parts at your shop are you paying full price? Are you supporting your LBS by not employee purchasing goods? Oh but that's different because you work there :)

fattirerider

Chimp
Jul 17, 2006
PNW
This chainguide is going to be a good option for those who buy a bike with a dual ring system and want a chainguide for cheap and will allready have a bash gaurd. Its just another option not meant to compete with a complete system like an E 13.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I don't understand why there is all the hate for this guide. If you think it is a bad idea or somehow targeting another company's product, then don't buy it. I'm not sure about everybody else, but I have a bunch of bashguards sitting around and if I were to somehow trash my current guide, I see no reason to buy a complete setup again if I have so many bashes in usable condition. It seems like the guide is built to last, 2 cartidge bearings in the lower roller, and it's also fairly lightweight. Stop bitching, if you want it, buy it, if you see room for improvement, say what you think, but don't hate it just because you prefer another company's product.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001

not to sway this argument one way or the other, but making the products affordable/less expensive, atleast to me, makes them alot more accessible.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I dont want to get in the arguement...but I just want to say, I like how transition solved the problem with chains rubbing on the upper part of the guide, by throwing a divit into the top roller part.