Quantcast

transition gran mal

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Oh I get it now, Turner got rid of the Horst-Link so that they could copy the Gran Mal! The Highline and Gran Mal are the same bike after all...

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
http://www.transitionbikes.com/GranMal.cfm

8.75 inches. around 1500 bucks depending on shock.

# Frame Features: 222mm (8.75") Rear Wheel Travel (6 travel settings per shock)
# Manitou Swinger Coil 6-Way Shock (Rebound, Preload, SPV, Bottom Out Resistance adjustments). Marzocchi Roco, Fox DHX, Manitou Revox, and Romic Double Coil Shocks are also available.
# 6000 Series Heat Treated Aluminum
# Colors: Gloss Racing Blue, Polished, Matte Black
# 1.5" headtube
# Fully adjustable upper shock mount (Ability to run virtually any eye to eye shock)
# Compatible with up to 8" dual crown forks
# 10mm x 150mm thru axle dropouts
# 83mm bottom bracket spacing
# Accepts 8" Rear Disc Brake Rotor
# Easily fits up to 2.8" rear tire
# Works with Front Derailleur or Chain Guide
# Frame Weight (including rear shock): 11.5 lbs
# 1 year defect warranty, Lifetime crash replacement
# Sizes: Regular, Long

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
WheelieMan said:
Oh I get it now, Turner got rid of the Horst-Link so that they could copy the Gran Mal! The Highline and Gran Mal are the same bike after all...
Hahahahah, so true. Gran Mal is a major epileptic (sp?) seizure for those that don't know.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
dropmachine.com said:
aaaaand here is it done right. ;)

Well ok not right, the others aren't wrong. But done better perhaps?

yeah we all know about the devinci. having ridden neither of these i have no strong opinion one way or another.

i spoke w/ the transition guys quite a bit when the were starting out...it's a small but 'core company. dunno if you checked their site much, but the crash replacement policy is one of the best in the industry.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
The thing that kills me is the BB. I don't know if u ran a 7" 888 and the shock mounted all the way forward if you could get the BB low enough for racing.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
mobius said:
The thing that kills me is the BB. I don't know if u ran a 7" 888 and the shock mounted all the way forward if you could get the BB low enough for racing.
depends on the shock eye-to-eye length. you could always call transition and ask what race geometry / travel combination this frame can have.

also 1.5 plus zero stack headset lowers front end if needed.

:shrug: i have no particular opinion on this bike. just thought people might not have heard of it yet.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Jestere said:
Actually, thats Grand Mal. Wouldn't it mean something like "really bad" in spanish though?
Its actually spelled either ways, and its means the biggest and baddest in Spanish I think.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Transcend said:
I know, but the term "grand mal" as in the seizures, is taking from the french term for big hurt. Bastardizing it into another language doesn't make it correct. :dancing:
:blah: I looked it up and its still Gran Mal seizure in Spanish.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
mobius said:
Why would you buy a FR bike for DH racing? The two types of riding are quickly diverging.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Bulldog said:
Why would you buy a FR bike for DH racing? The two types of riding are quickly diverging.
i'm not arguing but the description Transistion gives for the bike says it's designed to excel at both types of riding. I checked some of the specs against what turner claims for the DHR and they are pretty similar, except the gran mal's BB would sit 1" higher.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
dfinn said:
i'm not arguing but the description Transistion gives for the bike says it's designed to excel at both types of riding. I checked some of the specs against what turner claims for the DHR and they are pretty similar, except the gran mal's BB would sit 1" higher.
Believe the numbers, not the hype. Everyone says their product can do more than it actually does. That's marketing.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
the shock position options are what get me happy about the transition. it looks like you can go to more of a 5" or 6" travel setting without changing the geometry too much (or at all?).

the devinci was the apple of my eye. i have been looking for a bike like it for a while now. i keep coming back to the devinci though. in fact, i got to ride one of the devinci prototypes a few years ago while in whistler (one of their pro riders let me take it down A-line). the thing that i did not like about it was the massive amount of travel. i wanted a bike that was a bit shorter. the transition looks like it might fit that bill. i know the devinci has the fsr backside (if you get it in canada, or have a connection *wink, wink*).

the highline has been off my list, simply because the steat tube is too freaking long. it looks silly with that giant triangle tower. also, i never understood the point of having tons of standover on the top tube, but still having the seat jacked up high to kick you in the crotch. transition kept the tube low enough to drop the seat down. i want a bike for all-around use. when i take my bike to the jumps, i want that seat down and out of the way.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
mandown said:
the shock position options are what get me happy about the transition. it looks like you can go to more of a 5" or 6" travel setting without changing the geometry too much (or at all?).

the highline has been off my list, simply because the steat tube is too freaking long. it looks silly with that giant triangle tower. also, i never understood the point of having tons of standover on the top tube, but still having the seat jacked up high to kick you in the crotch. transition kept the tube low enough to drop the seat down. i want a bike for all-around use. when i take my bike to the jumps, i want that seat down and out of the way.
How can you see a travel option that short? The two holes I see look like 8.75" (duh) and maybe 7" at the shortest to me?

And are you saying a 15" FR bike (small HL) is still too big for you? How short are you? I DJ my 19.5" bike at 6'1" and never have a problem nosing in. I'd think a 15" would fit short guys fine. Most small DJ hardtails aren't much (if any) shorter.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Bulldog said:
How can you see a travel option that short? The two holes I see look like 8.75" (duh) and maybe 7" at the shortest to me?

And are you saying a 15" FR bike (small HL) is still too big for you? How short are you? I DJ my 19.5" bike at 6'1" and never have a problem nosing in. I'd think a 15" would fit short guys fine. Most small DJ hardtails aren't much (if any) shorter.
i was just guessing the travel options might go that short. i see your point, if they long setting is 10", then maybe 7" is a more realistic shortest. however, there is no way to be sure yet. the combination of shorter stroke shocks in the shoter hole positions may yeild something as short as 6".

as for the HL. the small seat tube length is great, but it creats too tight a TT for a 6'1" guy like me. i used to have a large IH SGS Freeride and that was approx 21" ST. that drove me nuts. the TT was good, but i hated the seat position, even slamed was too high. you may be fine with a 19.5 ST, but it is not what i want.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
mandown said:
as for the HL. the small seat tube length is great, but it creats too tight a TT for a 6'1" guy like me. i used to have a large IH SGS Freeride and that was approx 21" ST. that drove me nuts. the TT was good, but i hated the seat position, even slamed was too high. you may be fine with a 19.5 ST, but it is not what i want.
I don't know if what you want exists. Even that transition doens't look too short in the seat tube.

When I was riding my RFX for trails I needed the full 19.5st + about 8" of seatpost! But now that it's more of a FR bike, I could make do with a 17"st so I know what your'e saying. But I don't know of any 15-16" bikes with ~24" tt's. Would have to be a custom job I think.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
it sorta exists (i have asked this question over in the FR forum) if you go to the transition page on geometry http://www.transitionbikes.com/GranMal_GeometrySizing.cfm you will see that it is a 16" ST and 24" TTT. that makes it the frame i want. the devinci's limit ST at 17" but, as i said above, they have a hair more travel than i want.
i have been looking at the Nicolai UFO and the the Santa Cruz Blur 4X as other options. they keep the ST at 15" & 17" respectively, both with 23.5-24" TT. i am just a bit sketchy on the durability of the frames since they are 4X oriented. i am hard on my gear. i also am not certain that i will be happy with 4" of travel. i think i want it, but i am not sure. if the transition can get down close to 6" of travel, then they may end up with my money. i just hope the brake interaction is not too noticeable, or a floater becomes available. i have been informed that i might want to look at the Specialized line of bikes (SX trail and the like) however, i want a bike with an uninterupted ST and a slack HA. the HA on the transition is at 66*. i like it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
quick correction. i said 10" of travel for the long setting. i just double checked the page. the long is 8.75". so 6" of travel with a shorter setting and a shorter stroke shock may be a reality.

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
here's another idea mandown, check out the PDC freeride frame. They'll sell without a shock as well so you could get a shorter stroke shock and use the 4x lower mount position. Other than this, options are pretty limited for that criteria.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
yeah, the pdc frame gives me a chub, but it does limit you to a single ring in the front. i was contemplating a 2 ring and a bash arrangement.

anyone out there know anything more on the gran mal other than the info on the web page? i called & emailed transition today, but they are all out at interbike. guess i gotta wait a week. it will be interesting to see what is going on with the construction aspects. the frame lines and the welds look nice. however, the devinci has some nice touches like needle bearings and grease ports and rear wheel adjustments for 24" rear wheels (though i am not that concerned with that feature. wonder what colors will be available.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
by the way, is it my eyes playing tricks on me, or are the rear dropouts solid circles in the picture? it doesn't look like you can get the axle in and out of there without pulling it out of the hub. on that note. i know the devinci had some "flex" issues with the backend before going to the bigger rear axle. wonder if this frame will have similar issues.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
It sounds like we're looking for the same kind of bike. From what DW says, the Type 6 from Iron Horse might be our saviour; 6 inches of travel in trail bike (front derailleur) with DH bike Geometry. Hopefully there will be more info after Interbike.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
mandown said:
by the way, is it my eyes playing tricks on me, or are the rear dropouts solid circles in the picture? it doesn't look like you can get the axle in and out of there without pulling it out of the hub. on that note. i know the devinci had some "flex" issues with the backend before going to the bigger rear axle. wonder if this frame will have similar issues.
Most 150x12 rear axles are like that.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Sherpa said:
Most 150x12 rear axles are like that.
ok. the transition page says that it is a 150X10 rear though. are all 150 hub/axles designed the same way? is it a typo on the transition page that should say 150X12?

anyone know if the frame will come with a hub? seems like many frames with the 150 backside do.

as for the IH 6" trailbike mentioned above, i would love to see more on it. anyone have a thread going already? of to the search engine for me.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
mandown said:
ok. the transition page says that it is a 150X10 rear though. are all 150 hub/axles designed the same way? is it a typo on the transition page that should say 150X12?
If you scroll down a little further, it says 150x12. I think the 150x10 is a typo. As far as the hub goes, who knows, but they are becoming more popular and there are a lot more to choose from, so I would lean towards probably not.