Quantcast

Transition Preston FR - any PNW Monkeys riding one?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm considering this as my next Trail bike/light freeride bike frame set and would love to get some rider input.

I know a lot of guys like their Transition Dirtbags but do any of you PNW monkeys have ride time on a Preston FR - if so your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

Mark

Showtime

Chimp
Aug 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
I rode one for a trip down A-line at Whistler this weekend, and it felt great. It jumps really really well, better than my Dirtbag. I over-jumped a few tabletops to flat... whoops... I also got to trail ride the same bike for about an hour and a half last night, and its a blast. Its a really fun bike, I want one now... If you check out Transitions website, and look at their wallpaper section, their sponsored rider JS is riding a Preston in all those pictures. I know that about 2 hours worth isnt much time on a bike, but I was really impressed with it. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Showtime said:
I rode one for a trip down A-line at Whistler this weekend, and it felt great. It jumps really really well, better than my Dirtbag. I over-jumped a few tabletops to flat... whoops... I also got to trail ride the same bike for about an hour and a half last night, and its a blast. Its a really fun bike, I want one now... If you check out Transitions website, and look at their wallpaper section, their sponsored rider JS is riding a Preston in all those pictures. I know that about 2 hours worth isnt much time on a bike, but I was really impressed with it. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the info- can you PM me with specific ride characteristics of the one you rode - what is the suspension feel like with the Romic, how was your rig set up component-wise etc. etc.

I'd really love to hear the scoop in a little more detail.

Thanks in advance.

And yep I've already read that NSMB.com article about ten times.

Cheers,

Mark

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
Hi,
could you compare your experiences with the dirtbag vs the preston fr...riding carateristics who its react oin downhill, freeride, pedaling situations...i'm interrested in the two bikes but i can only afford one and i don't know what to choose...

Showtime

Chimp
Aug 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
tartosuc said:
Hi,
could you compare your experiences with the dirtbag vs the preston fr...riding carateristics who its react oin downhill, freeride, pedaling situations...i'm interrested in the two bikes but i can only afford one and i don't know what to choose...
I don't know what kind of riding you do, and what kind of trails you have, so I will stick to the basics. If you are interested in doing more "Freeride" oriented stuff, big drops, lots of downhill, or ride really rough trails, I would go with the Dritbag, it pedals well on trail rides if you put it in 5" travel mode, and I never really feel that it is lacking in rear travel in 6" mode. (Its riding characteristics are obviously going to be affected by how you have it set up: Single crown vs. dual, heavy or light wheels, etc.)

The Preston FR is a great trail bike, it pedals very well, better than the Dirtbag, due to the fact that its less travel, and lighter. It is definitely more trail bike oriented. That said, JS, Transition's Pro rider rides the Preston exclusively, for DH, 4x, Freeride, everything. He goes big, and rides very very fast, so it can be used for everything, depending on your riding style. The disadvantage with the current Preston is lack of tire clearance in the rear (which is being addressed in the next round of Prestons). They currently fit a 2.4 safely, but not much more than that, especially if your wheel gets a bit wobbly.

Basically, it all depends on how you plan on setting the bike up, and what you want to do with it. I love my Dirtbag, and it is great for what I use it for, but I would really like to have a Preston too. (Maybe some day...)

If you want to know anything specific that I didn't cover, just PM me.

oldedge

Chimp
Mar 8, 2006
Kirkland, WA
I have an '06 Preston. Best bike I have owned. Pedals great and i have taken it off some pretty big stuff. Handles just about everything i throw at it. Definately look into this frame.

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
I’ve been riding the dirtbag for the past year or so and just picked up a preston a couple of months ago. I do have to say I love both of these bikes equally. Both have taken a lot of abuse and still come back for more.

As for the preston, it’s extremely responsive to the trail. Being as it’s a pretty light bike, you can throw the bike around the trail fairly easily. And for such a small bike, it feels as though you have a lot more bike underneath you. It sucks up a lot that you wouldn’t expect from such a short travel bike. It also jumps really well, as it just seems to pop off the lips of jumps. I’ve really enjoyed this aspect of the preston as my dirtbag seemed to just plop over all the jumps.

BTW, what fork would you put on your frame?