Quantcast

Transition Preston/Preston FR

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I am considering buying a Transition Preston or Preston FR. For those of you who own or have ridden one, how much do you like it, and for what riding style?

Originally posted by Tully
I am considering buying a Transition Preston or Preston FR. For those of you who own or have ridden one, how much do you like it, and for what riding style?
You should contact www.transitionbikes.com OR www.dropnzone.com
When I was thinking about this bike they supplied a ton of info for me, along with all the happy riders that own these bikes, I still want one for MTX, but Im broke and have to wait........sweet rigs though!!;)

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
looks alot like a built up stinky, probably rides great but if its stinky like then it won't be the best high speed bike, of course thats just based on looks and stinky experience. By the way are there any bikes you aren't looking at?
:confused:

Don't worry get a giant dh and be:D

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by NateH
looks alot like a built up stinky, probably rides great but if its stinky like then it won't be the best high speed bike, of course thats just based on looks and stinky experience. By the way are there any bikes you aren't looking at?

The reasons I'm looking at so many bikes is because I own 2 bikes, and they're both too small, so I'm selling both frames, so I need to replace both frames.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
My comment stands, get a giant DH and be happy, it rides like a dream, including over tha jumps as proven by several giant riders at PA

Jun 23, 2003
Seattle, WA
My comment stands, get a giant DH and be happy, it rides like a dream, including over tha jumps as proven by several giant riders at PA
hey nate, nice recommendation. [insert sarcasm here]

ummm. can i just say that a giant dh is a downhill specific bike while the preston is a 4" susp all-mountain/mtn-x frame. very different frames designed for very different uses.

Sounds like you're just recommending the old "more travel is better" thing...kinda absurd. hopefully you're just kidding around...

maybe let's have some people actually post recommendations or feedback that will actually help tully. like, anybody else have a 4" travel bike they want to share about? or better yet, any preston owners want to share their experience?

Jun 23, 2003
Seattle, WA
oh, one thing i forgot to mention is that NSMB.com is going to be doing a Preston FR review which should be up shortly (like in a week or 2 max). I haven't yet seen what they are going to say so it should be interesting for all.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
well some of us just ride one bike so we can't have bikes for everything you see, in which case my giant kicks ass, and as far as more travel = better my giant has 8.25" which puts it in the low end as far as downhill bikes go and as far as experience goes i thought he was talking about the dirt bag so sorry for giving the worng opinion guess i'm just a poopy bastard but i still say sell all your gravity bikes and buy a giant.:monkey:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
sorry for giving the worng opinion guess i'm just a poopy bastard but i still say sell all your gravity bikes and buy a giant.:monkey:
Haha dude Huffy's are much cooler.:D ;)

don't get all bent i own a giant too. :p

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
Well the Preston FR got a nice review from NSMB. Heres the review if anyone is interested.
Not really a true single pivot, but I think I'll put it on my list of frames to consider.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Evel Monkey
Well the Preston FR got a nice review from NSMB. Heres the review if anyone is interested.
Not really a true single pivot, but I think I'll put it on my list of frames to consider.
It is a low single pivot in the truest sense, with an linkage actuated shock.

How is it not a single pivot? :confused: Not saying that's negative or anything. It is like calling my Rotec (concentric pivot bike) not a single pivot because it has a linkage driven shock All the extra bars do on the Transition (like the Konas) is and move the shock, it does not effect the wheel path at all.

Not that I am an expert, but your comment was missleading.

Rhino

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
I just think of true single pivots as being a Bullit, Heckler, Pantera, El Chamuco and such.
And then, for me, there are linkage driven single pivots.

Always such a touchy issue. :)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Evel Monkey
I just think of true single pivots as being a Bullit, Heckler, Pantera, El Chamuco and such.
And then, for me, there are linkage driven single pivots.

Always such a touchy issue. :)
I just think it is funny....

Mine isn't a Single Pivot by that description...I just don't think it is the case. It is a single pivot and anything stating different is false. To many people assume bikes like the stinky or transition are horst linked bikes just because they look similiar. It is just information that people should be made aware of if they are going to be talking about it in those terms in the future. :)

Not saying being a single pivot is bad...heck I love mine.

My linkage bike:

I know me correcting someone else is like the blind leading the blind....but atleast I can tell you if a bike is a single pivot or not. It isn't rocket science but impressions are hard to correct.

A stinky is a 4 bar, single pivot bike. Most people associate a 4 bar with the horst link design. That is fair enough, almost all do look similiar, but that is why things get muddy when people new to the suspesion designs start talking.

To say that the bike is not a true single pivot suggests it isn't a single pivot and that perpetrates the idea bikes like the stinky are 4-bar horst link bikes when they are single pivots with linkage driven shocks. Or you can call them 4 bars (cause they are) but they are distinctively not a horst/linkage bike. Not like that is news to you or me...we can spot the difference, but others may be confused.

And I get confused a lot, so when I can I try and clear things up ;) :D

Rhino "the blind leading the blind" from WA

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA

I think that you where talking about the DirtBag - which is what I ride :D