Quantcast

Transition Scout vs Santa Cruz 5010

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Long story short; my Banshee Spitfire frame is cracked, but still rideable. Banshee has come back with a warranty crash replacement cost $500USD GREATER than what I originally paid. Not sure how that works out, but sure. So I think its time to venture to something else, as much as I love the bike. They also suggested that I think about moving up to the Rune if I'm riding aggressively...I thought that's what the Spitfire was for, aggressive riders? :monkey:

Anyways...
I've been thinking about both the Transition Scout and Santa Cruz 5010. I rode both of them for hours in PA earlier this summer and they were both very fun. My only concern is that I rode them on smooth trails, with not much in terms of roots or chunky stuff. So I can't say with certainty, how they ride with the shorter travel on more demanding trails. With the Banshees 140mm travel, the faster you go, the better the suspension seems to work (though it still isn't a 160mm bike or anything).

Benefit of the Scout would be that majority of my existing parts and wheels will be able to swap right over. The 5010 might require a new rear hub (would just get some I9's...). I will be keeping my Fox 36 Float to swap over to whatever I pickup.

Thoughts? Any other bikes? Was also thinking about a Giant Trance (carbon), only because we have a shop owner in our group and could get a deal...but eh.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I bought a megatrail SS (now the shred dogg), its nice, if you can demo one do it, that bike is a ripper, plus if you get into riding things that need more travel, you can put a full size megatrail shock in, and a longer fork and have the full size megatrail (the eye to eye is the same)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I bought a megatrail SS (now the shred dogg), its nice, if you can demo one do it, that bike is a ripper, plus if you get into riding things that need more travel, you can put a full size megatrail shock in, and a longer fork and have the full size megatrail (the eye to eye is the same)
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Now the bad news: boost and metric shock. But, I am eyeballing the Shred Doggy Style as my next frame.
Yeah, that is the only catches, but cane creek makes DBCS and the coil with climb switch in the full size for the shreddogg, I have found the stock rims on mine to do just fine

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Whats with the metric shock issue? Did the big guys come up with the new measurements, but fail to back it up with product?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I test rode both of those last year and they were both great bikes. At the time I think I preferred the Santa Cruz but the Transition may have the edge in my mind now.

I'm calling shenanigans on the whole metric shock bullshit.

If your i2i x stroke is 7.875 x 2.25 you can just put on a "metric" 200 x 57. It's bullshit.
Bullshit? They totally solved a problem that none of us were having. I would hesitate to call that bullshit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My 5010 is working for me, and I like rough trails. Crabonz all the thingz.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sent some electronic mail to GG today asking a few rookie questions about the Shred Dawg. I assume at the very least I'll need a new rear wheel..

For those who have ridden the Megatrail; how tall are you and what size did you try? I am 5'7-5'8ish. Also how is the pedaling? Not that I'm too picky about that, this will be slowly ridden to the top of hills and then abused back down them.