Quantcast

Transition Spur?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I ran a dropped 36/20 at 130mm on my following while I had it. Awesome setup, reminded me of my lefty in terms of stiffness and smoothness. Been trying to find a way to drop the BMC down to 115mm to get a similar setup to this. 150mm is just too much travel unless you're going fast.
I don't know. I just bought a 27.5 process 153 and I love it. wouldn't want to go much lower in travel, and haven't ridden a 29er that made me want to switch. I haven't ridden many TBH though. Maybe one day, but right now I'm happy as a clam on this bike. I actually just put on a Jade coil to up the travel to 159 and have a 170 air shaft for the fork on the way. It may be too much for some of the trails in our area, but when the trails turns fun, I'm sue happy I have it. I do ride for smiles over miles though. Climbing for me takes a back seat to decents, drops, jumps etc.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Honestly though if I was younger and racing the local events this would be something I would want. When I am out enjoying my time on a hot lap tucking and pumping the trail is more better than railing it. No doubt 29 has lots of positives and I think they make great racing bikes but for just giggling and pretending like I am still on the RL-440 the smaller wheels ride looser. I just want a squishy 4x frame with modern trail geo in a 27.5 - 100/120 or 120/140.
The new Scout is too big and slack for that - the OG one was pretty well spot on what you're describing. The Evil Calling, GG Shred Dog, Ibis Mojo 4 and RM Thunderbolt maybe?

The crappy thing is as travel goes down, the frame strength/geo numbers/stiffness etc all tend to be compromised. Sure there's some sick hardtail options around these days, but for really short travel duallies that let you be proper silly there's a bit of a void.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The crappy thing is as travel goes down, the frame strength/geo numbers/stiffness etc all tend to be compromised. Sure there's some sick hardtail options around these days, but for really short travel duallies that let you be proper silly there's a bit of a void.
I am pretty happy with a Devinci Django. Not sure if I have thoughtfully investigated the "proper silly" tho?
The leverage could be more progressive but I have found a happy place with the Fox Float after some tweaking.
I run mine with a 140mm fork, 120mm at the rear and a -1 angleset which pushes it towards 66°HA. Mine is a 2018 MY and has been holding quite fine.
I wouldn't want a longer reach on this type of bike. 440mm is a good spot for 175cm. More reach would make the bike difficult to move along in the tighter and slower parts.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Hard to tell from pictures, but would a Float DPX2 not fit? Looks like as long as the resi. is toward the front, there should be clearance between it and the DT at full compression. That's just based off my eye-crometers on internet pictures, I could be wrong.

If not, maybe just go full 1990s DH and run a remote resi zip-tied somewhere random with about 15" of hose connecting the two.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hard to tell from pictures, but would a Float DPX2 not fit? Looks like as long as the resi. is toward the front, there should be clearance between it and the DT at full compression. That's just based off my eye-crometers on internet pictures, I could be wrong.

If not, maybe just go full 1990s DH and run a remote resi zip-tied somewhere random with about 15" of hose connecting the two.
:::Shoulder shrug.ascii:::

we were talking about the float x2. dpx2 should fit

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Transition's website says piggy back shocks will not fit and forks longer than 120mm are not recommended.

Lame
:twitch:
They'll "correct" that on the next iteration of the frame.

Speaking of the frame. $4200 Canadian for one. Fuck me......nope.

I know things have changed, both with the Canadian dollar and the bike industry, but I remember back when I purchased a new TR450. It was about $6500 delivered to my door with full Saint drivetrain, Fox suspension and other nice stuff. That price range gets NX equipped bikes now. :(

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Transition's website says piggy back shocks will not fit and forks longer than 120mm are not recommended.

Lame
:twitch:
It's almost as if they think that restricting people from running a resi shock and/or longer fork will prevent people from doing dumb stuff on them and breaking frames. Silly.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
It's almost as if they think that restricting people from running a resi shock and/or longer fork will prevent people from doing dumb stuff on them and breaking frames. Silly.
That's what led to the extremely porky range of aluminum bikes back in 2018 or whatever...all of their frames, even the Smuggler, weighed like 9 lbs because they had people buying trail bikes and riding them in bike parks, etc. and snapping chainstays and other stuff. Maybe they're counting on the "extreme XC" crowd that apparently now exists (and is, according to bike companies, a giant market) being more along the lines of rational dentists versus extra-sendy dentists...you know, family dentists versus those adrenaline-crazed cosmetic dentists.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That may be true, but I heard Transition also admitted that the aluminum frames were built heavier than necessary so as to be significantly heavier than the carbon versions, which had been toughened up to lower failures. In other words, carbon frame buyers needed to think they were saving weight.

:tinfoil:

That's what led to the extremely porky range of aluminum bikes back in 2018 or whatever...all of their frames, even the Smuggler, weighed like 9 lbs because they had people buying trail bikes and riding them in bike parks, etc. and snapping chainstays and other stuff. Maybe they're counting on the "extreme XC" crowd that apparently now exists (and is, according to bike companies, a giant market) being more along the lines of rational dentists versus extra-sendy dentists...you know, family dentists versus those adrenaline-crazed cosmetic dentists.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Maybe the bike owners were using them as advertised in the promotional media? Gaps here and there, charging as hard as can be...

I used my carbon Scout in that manner and it ended up cracking. They replaced it no questions, but obviously the bikes couldn't handle what was being prescribed.

Or yeah the heavy lizard conspiracy. That works too. :busted:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Still loving my '17 heavy metal Scout. 130 in 27.5
I would rock the 120 in 29, but with 130-140 up front. Transition said on empty beer that running 130 is not recommended but still would not void warranty. But no metal option puts it right there in the "would need to work more category"

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
So what other bikes fits the all country fap fap category?

Short travel and plenty slack
27.5 or 29.
Sub 28lbs

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
View attachment 146988

Seen this yet? Their 120mm "XC" bike. Looks really good.

View attachment 146989
Meh... got one already
DSC_1560-02.jpeg

It's actually 120mm (with flex pivot) rear, 140mm front, weighs sub 28lb with pedals, DH cranks and DH Strongwheels™. it's also lower and slacker than stock (66degHA)

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Curious about the flexing seat stays. Do they do that to reduce weight and flex?
Don't forget cost ;)

a flex pivot also does something funky to the leverage. Remove the shock from any design like this and you'll feel it as you rotate the swing arm through it's travel. resistance will increase, then often at a certain point regress and pull the swing arm up. Feels fine while riding tho

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Don't forget cost ;)

a flex pivot also does something funky to the leverage. Remove the shock from any design like this and you'll feel it as you rotate the swing arm through it's travel. resistance will increase, then often at a certain point regress and pull the swing arm up. Feels fine while riding tho
I think it depends on where they design the nominal position and the angle of the rocker. It would make sense to set the nominal position half way through the travel to minimize maximum deflection. The stays should act like a negative spring until the nominal position then a positive spring. Things could be more complicated than that if the rocker goes past an inflection point, which is what you kind of described. Hard to tell what this does without seeing the suspension move.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So what other bikes fits the all country fap fap category?

Short travel and plenty slack
27.5 or 29.
Sub 28lbs
tranny smuggler
evil following mb fuckyoknees edition
gg all-in
norco revolvo
pivot mach4
kona heihei

there's a lot of these bikes out there...maybe not super slack, but if you need a 64HA to climb then just stop

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I think it depends on where they design the nominal position and the angle of the rocker. It would make sense to set the nominal position half way through the travel to minimize maximum deflection. The stays should act like a negative spring until the nominal position then a positive spring. Things could be more complicated than that if the rocker goes past an inflection point, which is what you kind of described. Hard to tell what this does without seeing the suspension move.
If by nominal position you mean the position where the frame has zero stay flex that's actually what's going on at zero rear travel on the Giant. So as the swing arm begins to move seatstay flex increases (positive spring effect) The seatstay pivot in the rocker follows a fixed arc and a little over halfway through it's travel the stay reaches it's maximum flex and after that the stay starts to pull itself straight again rotating the rocker towards full travel (negative spring effect) Somewhere around full travel the seatstay straightens out again. Which stays are designed to flex (chainstay or seat stay) and what part of them will also affect the behaviour I'm describing.
this is all really obvious with the frame in a stand and shock removed.

I'm guessing here but it looks like the transition has it's rear disc mounts moulded into the fairly beefy dropout portion of the frame and the chainstays being oversized says to me their flex point is also designed to happen in the seat stays. The more forwards rotated rocker position looks like their stays will be flexed inceasingly the deeper into the travel the bike gets. (positive and progressive spring effect) with a possible inflection point in the beginning of the travel around sag point.

The Giant is my girlfriends. she's an occasional rider and couldn't give a fuck what her suspension design is doing so long as the bike is running smooth and silent.