Quantcast

Transition Spur?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
2020_SpurXX1_Gallery1.jpg

Seen this yet? Their 120mm "XC" bike. Looks really good.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 5.23.09 AM.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So its almost, but not quite, what the Scout used to be? Its a nice looking bike.

Curious about the flexing seat stays. Do they do that to reduce weight and flex?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So its almost, but not quite, what the Scout used to be? Its a nice looking bike.

Curious about the flexing seat stays. Do they do that to reduce weight and flex?
If that pivot doesn't move much a bearing isn't a great solution. Flexing stays certainly reduce complexity and cost, weight is probably more about the execution of it.

Looks like a fun bike but I would want more fork on it. I much prefer having more travel up front especially with slacker HA.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If that pivot doesn't move much a bearing isn't a great solution. Flexing stays certainly reduce complexity and cost, weight is probably more about the execution of it.

Looks like a fun bike but I would want more fork on it. I much prefer having more travel up front especially with slacker HA.
The old scout sounds like that bike. Mine was awesome with hits small 127mm travel and 150mm fork on it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Don’t know why everyone on the intertoobs is scared of flex-stats on an short travel/XC bike. That “pivot” moves basically not at all, the carbon leaf spring shape they use can easily handle the couple degrees of movement but won’t move as much as a bearing or bushing latterly, never needs service, can’t come loose and both costs and weighs less.

Rad looking bike, I agree on the fork, loved my over forked Bandit, over forked Carbine and current over forked Trail Pistol. Too bad the Sid can’t be upgraded to 140mm, but I assume they’ve chosen it based on the fact that people are scared of both weight and suspension experimentation, and possibly to differentiate it from the Smuggler if they’re not killing it off.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oh derp, I glossed right over the 29" wheel part of this bike.

The Smuggler was an interesting bike when I tried out it a few years ago. What was that, 120/130mm?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Seems like a direct competitor to the GG Trail Pistol SL except that you can get away with the much cheaper builds to get the same weight. Of course starting with a 6.5 rock crushing enduro frame isn't the most cost effective way of building a lightweight trail bike. However I would put money on the Trail Pistol being more durable than this when it comes to durability, a lot of money.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Smuggler is gone from the website - I think it's safe to say this is replacing it.
The jump from the Spur to the Sentinel is huge. I'd bet a lot of money that they roll out a revised Smuggler with a little more travel than the last gen.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Wonder how a short travel 36 down to 130 and a 20mm axle would feel on it.
Stout AF, had a 36 with a 20mm axle on my Carbine, started out at 140mm and it was a beast, geometry sucked so it ended up at 160mm, but the steering was pre-fuckin-cise. Potentially overkill for the frame but a 130mm 36 with good wheels and a good bar/stem combo would kick lots of ass in rocky/rooty stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Don’t know why everyone on the intertoobs is scared of flex-stats on an short travel/XC bike. That “pivot” moves basically not at all, the carbon leaf spring shape they use can easily handle the couple degrees of movement but won’t move as much as a bearing or bushing latterly, never needs service, can’t come loose and both costs and weighs less.

Rad looking bike, I agree on the fork, loved my over forked Bandit, over forked Carbine and current over forked Trail Pistol. Too bad the Sid can’t be upgraded to 140mm, but I assume they’ve chosen it based on the fact that people are scared of both weight and suspension experimentation, and possibly to differentiate it from the Smuggler if they’re not killing it off.
You have no idea how bad the physical and emotional scars were from the Bow Ti.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Wonder how a short travel 36 down to 130 and a 20mm axle would feel on it.
I ran a dropped 36/20 at 130mm on my following while I had it. Awesome setup, reminded me of my lefty in terms of stiffness and smoothness. Been trying to find a way to drop the BMC down to 115mm to get a similar setup to this. 150mm is just too much travel unless you're going fast.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The jump from the Spur to the Sentinel is huge. I'd bet a lot of money that they roll out a revised Smuggler with a little more travel than the last gen.
I too was wondering what happened to the smuggler when this guy was released. That being said, the smug was a fair bit heavier and never had the same drama this one does. Downcountry is where it's at. I bet if a lot of people tried 110-120mm over-forked 29ers, they'd be pretty happy.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah, 120mm F&R isn't a whole lot - I'm surprised it isn't slightly more on the front like the rest of their range. But it would certainly still be my pick for an XC bike if I ever went for a dedicated build.

They've stretched the reach on the Scout and the Spur/Smuggler, but not the Sentinel for some reason. Keenly waiting to see if they update the Patrol as well with those sort of numbers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
dammit sandwich, that's just some bullshit right there that people say to make themselves feel better about either their crap suspension platform or their fitness unless they're a bonafide xc racer and you know it.
Am I a bonafide XC racer?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Honestly though if I was younger and racing the local events this would be something I would want. When I am out enjoying my time on a hot lap tucking and pumping the trail is more better than railing it. No doubt 29 has lots of positives and I think they make great racing bikes but for just giggling and pretending like I am still on the RL-440 the smaller wheels ride looser. I just want a squishy 4x frame with modern trail geo in a 27.5 - 100/120 or 120/140.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dammit sandwich, that's just some bullshit right there that people say to make themselves feel better about either their crap suspension platform or their fitness unless they're a bonafide xc racer and you know it.
mm ok. have you spent a lot of time on a 150mm 29er? They're big bikes. Really big bikes. They aren't bad bikes, but unless you're ENDUROing or something, it's just too much to push around. A bike like the spur with 130mm on the front is going to be great for like 90% of the trails that real people ride. It won't be enough for big places and downhill trails, but most people aren't riding those 90% of the time.

All bets are off on obsolete 650bs. You do you on weird wheels.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
mm ok. have you spent a lot of time on a 150mm 29er? They're big bikes. Really big bikes. They aren't bad bikes, but unless you're ENDUROing or something, it's just too much to push around. A bike like the spur with 130mm on the front is going to be great for like 90% of the trails that real people ride. It won't be enough for big places and downhill trails, but most people aren't riding those 90% of the time.

i'm riding a 26" megatrail around for everything these days. its not the best climber, but on the descents when its go time, its go time. i also still get back pain from a several years old double herniation, so there's that.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'm riding a 26" megatrail around for everything these days. its not the best climber, but on the descents when its go time, its go time. i also still get back pain from a several years old double herniation, so there's that.
more than 50% of your ride is probably spent climbing. I absolutely agree that if you're only going down, of course go with the most and best suspension you can get. Most of us go back up though.

I also maintain that you can drop about 20mm of travel when you go up a wheel size and maintain about the same comfort level.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
more than 50% of your ride is probably spent climbing. I absolutely agree that if you're only going down, of course go with the most and best suspension you can get. Most of us go back up though.
time wise yes, over 50%. distance, pretty evenly split. at least on the trails i ride that have actual elevation.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

I also maintain that you can drop about 20mm of travel when you go up a wheel size and maintain about the same comfort level.
If not racing, optimize the bike for fun and not performance!
I happily ride the "wrong" bike around if the fun bits make it worth it. Heck, I was riding an Uzzi VPX as my only MTB for a year or so (had a roadie and a DJ too) and it was so fun on the bits that mattered. Thanks to riding a 17 kg bike everywhere I was also damn fit and interestingly not the slowest climber on group rides either although I usually had double the suspension travel of anyone else.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yup, having gone bigger, I really think around 120 is the sweet spot for 29ers...except that we need to get out of this shitty suspension-good enough mindset and put some fucking good shocks on these.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho

Agreed, evil insurgent to sb130 (27.5 v 29) and am faster both up and down on it.