Quantcast

Transition TR250 or Morewood Izimu

eastcoastDH

Chimp
Apr 8, 2011
noVA
Gettin a new DH bike and trying to decide between the Morewood Izimu or the Transition TR250. Never ridden either of the bikes, so i have nothing to compare except what i can read online. The bike will be ridden mostly at lift served bike parks. Opinions?

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
The Morewood Kalula is more akin to the TR250. Considered it?

The Kalula is the little brother of the Makulu, the bike Dirt benchmarks all others against these days.

eastcoastDH

Chimp
Apr 8, 2011
noVA
The Morewood Kalula is more akin to the TR250. Considered it?

The Kalula is the little brother of the Makulu, the bike Dirt benchmarks all others against these days.
Yeah i've looked at it, its sick too. Ive actually been looking at the Makulu more lately because of the extra inch of travel over the TR250 and Kalula

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Yeah i've looked at it, its sick too. Ive actually been looking at the Makulu more lately because of the extra inch of travel over the TR250 and Kalula
I wont get into it, but morewood isnt doing so well stateside, so if your in the USA, might not be a great idea.

With no real experience im going to have to vote for the 250. I like transition better, and the little ride time i had on a 450 was good.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Having owned 4 new Morewoods and 2 used Transitions at this point, I would say to go with Transition. The only reason I say this is because Morewood HQ made some bad moves here in the US (not to mention sh1t on some peeps) and Transition is keepin' it real.

That being said, my Makulu rides far better than any bike I've ever ridden and I will be hard pressed to sell that thing for years, even if I don't agree with Morewood's corporate philosophy.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I'm completely biased and would go Morewood every time, my Makulu is the love of my life, so much so I've actually named my dog "makulu" and also my software company is called "Makulu consultants"

Obsessive.. maybe

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
having owned and abused a kalula for a season, i would say its a solid min DH bike.

they are almost the same in terms of being link driven single pivots.

i only heard good about the tr250.

but tbh, pick the one you can get the best support for at your location.

both are really good rides:)

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Morewood HQ (South Africa) has done a lot of people wrong in the US...... I would say go with the Transition.... they are local, customer service is amazing... Been a Morewood rider for over 4 years and this will be my last half season riding one.....

I'm going with Nukeproof!

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
At the risk of this becoming a poo-slinging thread, what exactly happened with Morewood and the US? I heard that distributors were changed, but that was about it?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
At the risk of this becoming a poo-slinging thread, what exactly happened with Morewood and the US? I heard that distributors were changed, but that was about it?
A few GOOD sponsored riders were dropped, all the distributors/suppliers were dropped for a single supplier. At this moment in time, its nearly impossible to get anything from morewood, and the "rumor" has it that they are pulling out of the US.

^ there is more to it, but thats just the spark notes. I dont recommend getting it, it took whoryder 6 months to get a derailleur hanger, which he actually never got-an X sponsored rider gave it to him.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
A few GOOD sponsored riders were dropped, all the distributors/suppliers were dropped for a single supplier. At this moment in time, its nearly impossible to get anything from morewood, and the "rumor" has it that they are pulling out of the US.
the dropping riders deal isnt a deal breaker IMO. i could care less if a company has sponsored riders or not.

and that "rumor" isnt true. my buddy just opened up a new bike shop with Morewood being his main bike brand

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I can’t speak for anyone a Morewood USA, but do know a lot of what is going on. I will not get into detail, but:

Richard at Morewood USA was done wrong by Morewood Corp. in South Africa. Richard owned sole rights to distribute the Morewood Brand in the US under contract and ownership with Corp. He and Geritt built the brand name here in the US. Corp then decided to let another disty open in the US under Richards nose. That disty should have been opened under Richard as a Sub-Disty. The way I see it Richard should be credited for the sales of those bikes. I will not say much more, but think Richard and Geritt are great people and have done a lot for the sport here on the East Coast.

By the way Patrick Morewood had nothing to do with any of this. It was all on the main share holder of Morewood bikes. Let's just say the main share holder just took a large dump on any rider on a Morewood here in the US by doing this.

I will support anything Richard and Geritt do in the industry moving forward if they say in the biking industry. Great People!!!

Cecil

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
typically you dont "own" distribution rights. they are typically done with a distribution contract with the manufacturer and the manufacturer usually (if they are smart) have a clause in the contract to terminate the current distributor and appoint a new one (if sales are bad for example or if the contract expires.)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The current (new?) distributors have nearly nothing in stock, and from what i hear neither does morewood South africa. (or whoever makes/stockpiles the parts)

*no citation for this

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Well i can confirm, took me 6 + months to get a hanger, and a Axle... and the axle sent to me was from Richard, off of one of Gerrits bikes...That to me speaks Volumes about how Richard did business for Morewood.... Good business! And i hold both Richard and Gerrit with High regard! Every time i did business with Richard, the transaction was smooth, easy and they were super friendly and helpful!

Meanwhile, the US Distributors don't have ANYTHING and have been expecting axles, hangers etc for the last 6 months from South Africa....

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
the biggest problem Morewood have as far as supply is that there biggest market is in Germany. The German distributor gets first dibs on what ever is coming from the factory. The shop I work in are Irelands only Morewood dealers and we were being supplied by the UK distributors, however they could rarely get stock as any that was available was being swallowed up by the German agents. I had some customers that had to wait 6 months for frames. Most will agree that they were worth the wait. We now get our stock from Germany and can have frames and parts within 3 days. This could explain the poor availability with the newer US distributors.

All i can say on the bikes is buy the Morewood but im biast as hell, Ive a Makulu and a shova and love them. If i change my Makulu it will just be for a new one, its hands down the best bike ive ridden and ive tried quite a few. Id love to get a Kalula as there such a fun bike to ride. Just cant justify having another bike so close to the Makulu. If i rode bike parks all the time and didnt race Id do a swap.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
typically you dont "own" distribution rights. they are typically done with a distribution contract with the manufacturer and the manufacturer usually (if they are smart) have a clause in the contract to terminate the current distributor and appoint a new one (if sales are bad for example or if the contract expires.)
Yes and no. If the Disty has Stock (Ownership) in the company (Corp.) which Richard does, then it's a different story. Bottom line is the Contract for Disty and Ownership were both broken by Corp.

Cecil