Quantcast

Transition TR450: Not 10 speed ready?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Is the TR450 not a bike ready for 10 speed? I cannot for the life of me get the rear end to get into the top gear of my road cassette. Adjuster screws are all the way out and still can't get to the top!

Am I doing it wrong?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
try it now.

No seriously, go through the troubleshooting: remove the chain and shift cable and move the derailleur through it's full range of motion. If it can move freely from 1st to 10th cogs, the problem is in the shifter and/or cable, or you don't really have your limit screws set properly. You'll get it.

And post a picture of this new bike fer christsakes already.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Cool! I was waiting for another 'I hate bike company xyz' thread from Dirt. This looks like it has potential. Finally!
Was getting pretty boring with all the serious WC coverage and bike rear end width discussions.

:popcorn: :D

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Ya your doing something wrong.

I had my 2012 tr450 running 10 speed until I switched to saint.
I used 2012 xo shifter and derailuer, pg1050 11-23 cassette and SRAM power chain. Used jagwire cable. Renthal chainring, SRS+ guide.
Worked all day er'y day!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Provided the derailleur is 10 speed compatible you have the correct chain length, one possible cause would be incorrect hanger alignment. In this case, the hanger being bent way outwards.

Either way, getting the hanger checked is a great idea on any new build or when swapping drivetrain components. It eliminate at least one possible (annoying) variable when initially tuning the rear kit.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'll post photos here in a minute.

Hate the TR450? Did you "pick the wrong week to stop sniffing glue" and now you're cranky? I love this thing. So clean. So simple. So yellow.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
if all else fails, consider back-spacing the cassette a little bit to push everything outboard.
check your hub, see how much axle shows when the cassette locking is on (i.e. if 3mm is showing, you should push everything ~1.5mm)

NwRider

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Bellingham, Wa
I'm still confused on why people feel the need to have 10 gears on a DH bike, when the majority of the time you are in a 3-4 gear range, unless your pedaling to the trails...? Specialized has it figured out with the 6 gear range, IMHO. But other than that I agree with Dirt. So clean, so simple, so yellow.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
My guess- cable tension too low by one whole gear- it'll hit everything right, but you don't get that last click of the shifter.