Quantcast

Trash ???!!! Let's get this one under control

mwestra2

Monkey
Dec 4, 2007
Trash at the 'Nade was not only expected, but sometimes kinda funny. Refer to JonK's phallus comment in the Jan Bike Magazine article. At a Nade WP it was common to experience: "I'm repulsed yet I cannot look away". I don't think it was mt bikers leaving the syringes and sht-stained underwear lying around. But at Duthie...??!! It is us! And it's not just all over the clearing. Another letter was sent to King County about mt bikers leaving their trash behind when they park in the neighborhoods around Duthie.

I don't think the riders who frequent the forums are the ones doing it, so this post is about getting your help in other ways...

• Spread the word to other riders: Pack it out -- don't litter
  • Keep an eye out and confront someone you see littering
  • Stop someone who turns over a bucket or wheelbarrow in the clearing and puts their trash in it - tell them to pack it out empty... just like they packed it in full
  • Volunteer! If you see trash lying around, pick it up if you can
  • Volunteer! If you ride Duthie and appreciate it, take a spin around the neighborhoods once in a while and pick up trash.
  • If you're dog takes a dump, bag it and haul it out. If you don't want to do that, bury it in the woods or at least fling it into the woods. The absolute worst thing you can do is bag it and then leave it behind for someone else to pick up and haul out.

I mean WTF... Kevin and I fill at least a hefty bag per week with trash that people leave scattered around the clearing and then I haul it to my apartment's dumpster.

We're working with the neighbors and King County, but we also need your help. Yes, we'll put up signs, but I don't think they're going to have an impact on someone who leaves their trash on the street, in someone's yard or on the ground in a park.

If you don't want to help, that's fine... really, it's fine. *BUT* Please don't try to justify it or make excuses for it or tie it to anything else like the parking problem or scrap lumber piles and tarp lean-to's in the clearing. Please don't try to tie littering (like the huge pile of water bottles and wrappers under the SemperD drop-in structure) to how well or poorly built the structure is. I'd love to address your concerns about those kinds of things, but start a new post. Or even better... email me or call me.

A note on garbage cans... like almost all King County park trails, the only garbage cans are in the parking lot -- everywhere else in the park is pack it out. Spread the word: "C'mon... if you packed it in full, you can pack it out empty." We do want to get animal-proof garbage cans and collection service set up along with a real parking solution, but that's going to be a while.

Mucho Mucho Thanks!!!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Wow that's pretty crazy...

Seems pretty easy task to do for a rider to bring in a trash bag, fill it up and haul it out. i mean it sucks that someone has to take time to do that when they could be shoveling dirt or something and helping build the park.

It's not like this park is going to be under construction for much longer.

i wonder if folk realize that Duthie Park is as much of an experiment than an entitlement (which it's not). A half-dozen slobs treat the park like it's their living room it makes it easy for people to tie that to our whole biking community. Land Managers thinking about opening up their lands to mt. bikers, like let's just say (hypothetically) the owners of Exit 27 are going to look at what's going on at Duthie when making a decision about legitimizing or getting something going to open up a swath of land to build something new.

i mean my car is a fukkn mess but i don't ever slob out on trails, what's really goin on...

Last edited: