Quantcast

Travel Case for my DH bike?????

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
Anyone got any suggestions as to what bike case is good for a DH bike??? I'm looking for something that's airplane worthy. Thanks for the help.

Rigger

Chimp
Jul 29, 2004
NV
check out Dakine's Bike Bag:

You can fit a Demo8 and a P3 in at the same time with that baby.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
I rented a hardshell bike case from my LBS for like $30 for a week. I fit my Brooklyn w/ 8" fork in there as well as an extra set of tires, tools, ETC. I cant remember the name of the case, it was grey with big black straps that were on the outside of the case.

Also, no matter how nice and neat you pack your bike, you can be 100% sure that a TSA ninja will open it up, move shiit around and then wonder why it wont close. If you are particular on how you want stuff packed, i suggest wrapping each component separately and then placing it into the case, not placing everything in the case and then stuff cardboard or whatever inbetween touching areas cause when you stuff gets tossed in security, they will not carefully pack it back. So wrap up each piece individually with zip ties or tape.

joel

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I have a Bike Pro double DH bag. It is a nice bag and you can fit 2 DH bikes in it. However, it exceeds the 100 pound weight limit that the airlines have been enforcing for the past couple of years. Even with just 1 DH bike in it, I can only put an extra pair of wheels in without exceeding 100 pounds. The bag weighs 45 pounds with nothing in it.

My team mate has the DaKline bag. It is really nice and weights about 30 pounds. That way, you can stuff a bunch of more gear in it. They are relatively small and fit nicely into a rental SUV or minivan.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
My next monetary goal is a DaKline bag... It sure seems like a good investment with a $2000-plus dollar DH rig! Every time I fly with a bike, the airlines break or lose something.

Do the airlines accept wheel bags (tied together) as normal luggage?

I can get everything into a suitcase besides the wheels, and a wheel bag without a big logo on the side (spray paint!) would allow for free bike travel.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I have a Trico IronCase. I've only used it for XC bikes which fit in there fine. I'm absolutely sure that my DH bike would not fit in there unless I take the fork off.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
bikenweed said:
My next monetary goal is a DaKline bag... It sure seems like a good investment with a $2000-plus dollar DH rig! Every time I fly with a bike, the airlines break or lose something.

Do the airlines accept wheel bags (tied together) as normal luggage?

I can get everything into a suitcase besides the wheels, and a wheel bag without a big logo on the side (spray paint!) would allow for free bike travel.
They typically have a size restriction of 60". That is length+width+thickness. The wheels will not meet that. The frame needs to have the rear triangle and fork removed to come close. Then, each bag needs to be under 50 pounds. A buddy of mine that is always on the road for his sales job has a XC bike that he stuffs into a couple of regular suitcases. It seems like a real pain to spend a couple of hours on the teardown and build up.

If you can fly United, get the vouchers from Norba. Then, bikes fly free.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If you can find the pieces, do what I do.

I double cardboard box my bike for travel. A big one on the outside takes the brunt of the damage (dings and ninja-star strikes from baggage handlers), the inside box stays mint and provides dent protection. I also bought a section of pipe insulation and cut it into pieces that I put on the fork legs and parts of the frame that come into contact with the inner box. I zip-tie those pieces on so that if the TSA removes the bike from the box, they stay put and the bike will still be protected when they toss everything back in.

The outer box looks like ****, the inner box is still mint and my bike doesn't have a scratch on it. Theres also plenty of room for my armor and tools/pump inside the inner box.

Do that and you've saved yourself like $200+ for a Dakine or Trico case.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
canondale cardboard box, cost is free.

3 or 4 rolls of clear packing tape and a dispenser 20.00 or so from walmart.

works good, I have a folding 2 wheeler I used as carry on to get from the luggage pickup to the rental car. ...use the search feature you will find some good instructions.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
search for a thread i started on this topic (a few months ago). there is a company that makes cool cardboard boxes. they are not just bike boxes. they are a stronger grade of carboard with some design features that are very nice.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I have an old Bikepro style bag. Works ok, but it's top heavy so it rolls so so in the terminal. On trick i have done with my road and XC bike before is put the peds, and seat in my other bag, put like my helmet and shoes...etc in the other bag, and got it on as "sporting goods", when i was asked once if it was a bike, i said no it's bike parts, you can't assemble it into a rideable bike...so they let it go without the bike fee. Probably only works on some people...but hey worth a shot.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If you had a zipper bag like the one by dakine, you could lock the zippers. Would they still open it? Does the altitide affect the fluid in the brakes?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
mtnbrider said:
If you had a zipper bag like the one by dakine, you could lock the zippers. Would they still open it? Does the altitide affect the fluid in the brakes?
The TSB would cut the lock.

No, brakes and tires are not affected.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
mtnbrider said:
DAMN ninjas.....I would hate to have someone of my bike stuff, and not put it back right (or misplace things).

And that happens....something is always out of place when i fly these days.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Maybe it would be a good idea to put put smalll parts and tools in a small bag that wouldn't get checked.

Maybe just putting frame, fork, armor, and helmet in the bike container would be a good idea.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Rigger said:
check out Dakine's Bike Bag:

You can fit a Demo8 and a P3 in at the same time with that baby.
A soft case? Is that basically asking for it? I mean it seems u would want a hard plastic case so when stuff is thrown on top of it?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
The Dakline bag has plastic panels similar to the Bikepro.

As far as not checking parts and taking them through the carry on: I has a coil over shock and a pair of clipless pedals in my carry on for 2 airplane trips this year. Both trips and both directions, they searched the bag. One time, the TSB guy dropped a F-bomb as the suitcase went through the x-ray. I advise against carring shocks and other things that look like that in an X-ray unless you like getting the run around and searched.

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
The Dakine bag looks pretty good but if I did get this one I think I'd use the idea that someone had in regards to using the foam you put around pipes just for added security. Its kinda funny what we put our bikes through out on the trail and then we get all worried about some baggage handler in BFE screwing our bike up. Oh yeah, anyone thats used the Dakine bag, I'd appreciate it if you could give me some reviews on it. Thanks again

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
kellyn7 said:
The Dakine bag looks pretty good but if I did get this one I think I'd use the idea that someone had in regards to using the foam you put around pipes just for added security. Its kinda funny what we put our bikes through out on the trail and then we get all worried about some baggage handler in BFE screwing our bike up. Oh yeah, anyone thats used the Dakine bag, I'd appreciate it if you could give me some reviews on it. Thanks again
I always use pipe insulating foam when I pack my bike(s). that and a few old sheets - works great! :thumb:

Frank - you have nothing to worry about. If you ever want to check out the Dakine bag, you can always come to my house - I might even offer you a beer ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Nothing beats a trico iron case. It's like tupperwear with wheels, for your bike. I have used one to travel in europe, canada and all over the states. I have used it on the airlines and via UPS. Never had a bike hurt when travelling in it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
konabiker said:
I have a planet x bike bag that works pretty well. It's kinda ghetto and I would change a few things about it but it gets the job done.
That's what I used prior to the Dakine bag. It was great until the zipper went tits up and was ripping open all the time. I recall picking up parts of my bike scattered all over the place at the Vancouver airport (at the large baggage claim) when the zipper tore open after they threw the bag out. :(

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Acadian said:
That's what I used prior to the Dakine bag. It was great until the zipper went tits up and was ripping open all the time. I recall picking up parts of my bike scattered all over the place at the Vancouver airport (at the large baggage claim) when the zipper tore open after they threw the bag out. :(
That doesn't sound like fun...

Why they didn't put wheels on the thing is beyond me. Bah, I guess I can't complain at the price of $70 shipped to my door.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I could make you one. I took lots of pictures and got everything all set up to make a post on here, but just have been too lazy to do it. Maybe now I'll get my ass in gear. My dad is in the custom packaging industry, and have made TP, CC, and myself custom bike boxes.

Let me know if there's any interest.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
konabiker said:
That doesn't sound like fun...

Why they didn't put wheels on the thing is beyond me. Bah, I guess I can't complain at the price of $70 shipped to my door.
my PX bag had wheels - two small ones on the back, but they never worked for sh-t

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Acadian said:
I recall picking up parts of my bike scattered all over the place at the Vancouver airport (at the large baggage claim) when the zipper tore open after they threw the bag out. :(
LMFAO! I remember that. I think that was in Seattle, BTW. 8)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Delta is at a 63" max for width + heighth + length, but I'm hoping someone here has tried to take a pair of wheels as the second piece of luggage without any problems. They really don't look that big, and if they're fastened together, it might not be too intimidating. 27"+27"= 54", 6" of width remaining...

Taking a few bolts off of a swingarm when you're flying to a race, or flying to Spain or the US to stay for 6 months is definitely worth the hassel. With only 2 travel vouchers from NORBA per year, it helps, but it's not much. Four would be muuuuch better. Is USA cycling cool about giving away extra vouchers?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
bikenweed said:
Delta is at a 63" max for width + heighth + length, but I'm hoping someone here has tried to take a pair of wheels as the second piece of luggage without any problems. They really don't look that big, and if they're fastened together, it might not be too intimidating. 27"+27"= 54", 6" of width remaining...

Taking a few bolts off of a swingarm when you're flying to a race, or flying to Spain or the US to stay for 6 months is definitely worth the hassel. With only 2 travel vouchers from NORBA per year, it helps, but it's not much. Four would be muuuuch better. Is USA cycling cool about giving away extra vouchers?
I have a tire box that I cut down and reinforced to hold 3 DH wheels with tires mounted. It exceeds the airline size requirements for regular bags but they havn't charged me yet. Your milage may vary.

Norba has given me extras but not in the past few years. I always have teamates that are not flying anywhere give them to me. Post up a request here for some. I am sure someone will mail you theirs.

kiwiintexas

Chimp
Nov 30, 2005
I tarvel back and forth home to NZ. I have an Iron case that I put my hardtail in, but I am yet to try and put a Dh bike in it. I will say this though, The customs guys have no regard with how they repack it after they go through it and wont let you repack it with their supervision. I learnt the hard way, the first time and ended up with the cassette sitting against the frame and gouging the crap out of it and the front disk got the **** bent out of it.