Quantcast

Travel choices.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
If you wanted to see the west Coast, Seattle WA or Portland Oregon?

Wife wants to do a family trip.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you wanted to see the west Coast, Seattle WA or Portland Oregon?

Wife wants to do a family trip.
What would you consider appropriate family activities? Car Camping, back country campinig, hotels, urban vagrancy? How long of a trip?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yes. Go to California. It is always raining here. Make sure to tell everyone in California that.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I always go to SEA, so much stuff around there. Olympic Peninsula, Hood Canal, San Juan Islands (take a flight with Kenmore Air!), and on and on.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I always go to SEA, so much stuff around there. Olympic Peninsula, Hood Canal, San Juan Islands (take a flight with Kenmore Air!), and on and on.
Ferry to Friday harbor, Kenmore air tour around Mt Rainier, if points further south are on the list Mt. St. Helens is a must. Pacific Coast on the peninsula is awesome if the family doesn't mind long road trips. I wouldn't bother with downtown Seattle unless the various museums or Mariners/Sounders games are of interest.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ferry to Friday harbor, Kenmore air tour around Mt Rainier, if points further south are on the list Mt. St. Helens is a must. Pacific Coast on the peninsula is awesome if the family doesn't mind long road trips. I wouldn't bother with downtown Seattle unless the various museums or Mariners/Sounders games are of interest.
Yeah, downtown SEA is played out for sure, traffic is a nightmare. There are still some cool spots around Lake Union IMO, the park that's at the locks, rent a comfort bicycle and there are some pretty amazing easy accessible places to ride, like Lake Washington and Lake Union area, etc. Museum of Flight, Everett factory tour, etc. There are still some good "downtown" areas, just not downtown Seattle.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, downtown SEA is played out for sure, traffic is a nightmare. There are still some cool spots around Lake Union IMO, the park that's at the locks, rent a comfort bicycle and there are some pretty amazing easy accessible places to ride, like Lake Washington and Lake Union area, etc. Museum of Flight, Everett factory tour, etc. There are still some good "downtown" areas, just not downtown Seattle.
Surrounding neighborhoods are more interesting and worthwhile and each has stuff that is just as interesting. Golden Gardens, Ballard locks, Gasworks park, Botanical Gardens, Woodland Park Zoo etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Surrounding neighborhoods are more interesting and worthwhile and each has stuff that is just as interesting. Golden Gardens, Ballard locks, Gasworks park, Botanical Gardens, Woodland Park Zoo etc.
Yeah, I usually get a late flight back and I'll go hang out at one of those spots on my last day before heading to the airport.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
flying to vegas on june 23rd....driving to yosemite for three or four days....

plan on sprinting up the coast of california/Oregon before returning to vegas by july 7th....

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
As a person who has visited both but lived in neither, they're both pretty neat cities really. And they each have fun stuff to do in the surrounding area. Tough call.

#imnothelping

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've heard that people who live in Seattle go to Oregon for vacation? Not to Portland though. :D
If you only plan to spend your time in a city, Seattle >> Portland - but both places suck, honestly. :P

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Portland is inland on a river confluence. Seattle is on salt water at least. Neither one accurately depicts "west coast" living. They do however showcase "PNW urban hell" Are you flying into or driving to this great American landscape? Where you coming from? What's your wife want to see? Ocean, cities, mountains?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Portland is inland on a river confluence. Seattle is on salt water at least. Neither one accurately depicts "west coast" living. They do however showcase "PNW urban hell" Are you flying into or driving to this great American landscape? Where you coming from? What's your wife want to see? Ocean, cities, mountains?
It also rains all year long.

I'm hoping by Seattle and Portland he means Washington and Oregon via Seattle or Portland airports.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It also rains all year long.

I'm hoping by Seattle and Portland he means Washington and Oregon via Seattle or Portland airports.
Don’t forget, Portland has been burned down by antifa.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Can't believe the lovely seaport docks and somehow worse than seattle traffic of tacoma isn't on this list.

All the ick of a bigger city and none of the perks. Can't just overlook that shit like it doesn't exist!

Speaking of which, make sure to visit everett

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Can't believe the lovely seaport docks and somehow worse than seattle traffic of tacoma isn't on this list.

All the ick of a bigger city and none of the perks. Can't just overlook that shit like it doesn't exist!

Speaking of which, make sure to visit everett

Hey, the Tacoma Dome us the world's largest wooden dome and an important cultural center, they have monster truck shows.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Did you ride Rat Pac or get up into the Roslyn trails? Roslyn is turning into a little bikey destination...
Yeah, Rat Pac up and accessing those Roslyn trails. I thought they were dusty AF, the "features" were all worn down or crumbling and in dire need of attention, it was a rare day of riding in WA state where I wished I had ridden elsewhere in the state.

WA does some great DH stuff, like Tiger, Tokul, Darrington, Bellingham, etc. And then there's the great big epics that you can do with super quality trails (that still have kickass DHs). The stuff in Roslyn was basically neither. Riding is riding and I wouldn't hate living there having trails out the door, but I definitely prefer other areas.

TF shows a ton of trails "behind" Roslyn though, so I was wondering if that stuff was good, like for much bigger epic rides.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, Rat Pac up and accessing those Roslyn trails. I thought they were dusty AF, the "features" were all worn down or crumbling and in dire need of attention, it was a rare day of riding in WA state where I wished I had ridden elsewhere in the state.

WA does some great DH stuff, like Tiger, Tokul, Darrington, Bellingham, etc. And then there's the great big epics that you can do with super quality trails (that still have kickass DHs). The stuff in Roslyn was basically neither. Riding is riding and I wouldn't hate living there having trails out the door, but I definitely prefer other areas.

TF shows a ton of trails "behind" Roslyn though, so I was wondering if that stuff was good, like for much bigger epic rides.
The volume of trails getting built out here is impressive. Not always to my liking but I'm not going to complain, my digging days are behind me.