Quantcast

Travel resumption post-COVID

When do you anticipate traveling "normally" again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
and using rest areas (people don't linger there).
there is a beautiful rest stop on the border in the mountains between idaho and montana.....i have a picture somewhere.
20200528_111607.jpg

when i woke up....snow covered pine trees everywhere....

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Company just released policy that we are not to see clients in person or travel at all until Labor Day at the soonest.
Messaging with a friend yesterday who normally lives in NYC, works in finance, their office is closed until Labor Day. He's temporarily relocated himself and his family to CT.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
i have masks.....3-4 boxes of xl gloves.....homemade alcohol wipes which they will probably tell me to toss....and a small travel blanket to wrap my head in as i sleep in bliss as soon as we hit 30,000 feet...
Can I bring hand sanitizer in my carry on?

TSA is allowing one liquid hand sanitizer container* up to 12 ounces per passenger in carry-on bags until further notice. ... Please keep in mind that all other liquids, gels and aerosols brought to a checkpoint continue to be allowed at the limit of 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters carried in a one quart-size bag.

1590694916234.png

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Boston public transit ridership down 90% since covid.
I hope they burn what is left to ground and start from scratch.
In a retrospect, I may have contracted it sans symptoms on an infected MBTA train back in Feb/March. I am not taking a filthy train for the rest of this year.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was going to go to Long Island Maine this year. The Ferry is still running and I enjoy jagged Rocks on my Beaches... I was planning on spending a night in Portland. None of my favorite restaurant's are taking reservations... The drive is pretty long just to swim in some cold ass water. I can ride my bike there. But I can also get a cabin near Highland and ride there if it is open.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Everybody loves the Zabriskie point. Here's a popdeck repost of mine, taken on film with a 4x5 view camera and a wide angle 5.6/135 Symmar-S. :nerd:

And here's a bonus - Badwater salts.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
After talking to a few people in the know I'm gonna bite the bullet and abandon my August trip to my holiday home in France.
I did think about going up there in January for Skiing but I'm not convinced that's a go'er either, looks like I'll have to move the flights back to August next year at this rate.
Sounding like 80-90% probability of NZ's border remaining closed until there's a vaccine... I can still go but 3 days flying plus 1 week's holidaying will get me 2 weeks quarantine at a facility just outside Auckland International Airport..... That don't sound so great to me. :(
Flights to Fiji, Samoa, Tonga or the Cook Island's will probably be allowed pretty soon tho as they are Covid free like NZ.

#PrivilagedWhiteGuyProblems

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
After talking to a few people in the know I'm gonna bite the bullet and abandon my August trip to my holiday home in France.
I did think about going up there in January for Skiing but I'm not convinced that's a go'er either, looks like I'll have to move the flights back to August next year at this rate.
Sounding like 80-90% probability of NZ's border remaining closed until there's a vaccine... I can still go but 3 days flying plus 1 week's holidaying will get me 2 weeks quarantine at a facility just outside Auckland International Airport..... That don't sound so great to me. :(
Flights to Fiji, Samoa, Tonga or the Cook Island's will probably be allowed pretty soon tho as they are Covid free like NZ.

#PrivilagedWhiteGuyProblems
:fancy:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Borders in Europe are open now for the most part. Teh german e-bike hordes are entering Italy again. Hotels are opening up. Everyone seems to use the "freetime" for some holidays. Not sure how that will turn out though.

I am doing a bit of business travel and will go to our german office next week. By car obviously.
Numbers are way down in middle Europe, I am not really trusting the situation right now, but I think now is the best time to do some business.
Not going on a holiday trip this year.
I will stay at home, do some work and go riding my bike.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Can I bring hand sanitizer in my carry on?

TSA is allowing one liquid hand sanitizer container* up to 12 ounces per passenger in carry-on bags until further notice. ... Please keep in mind that all other liquids, gels and aerosols brought to a checkpoint continue to be allowed at the limit of 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters carried in a one quart-size bag.

View attachment 145765
Before (and for a little bit after) 9/11, I used to fly to Peru once or twice a year. For a good long while, I would 1/2 fill my camelbak with vodka or Pisco, and get absolutely shithoused on the flights. I was very sad when the TSA caught on. Did I mention I don’t drink anymore?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Before (and for a little bit after) 9/11, I used to fly to Peru once or twice a year. For a good long while, I would 1/2 fill my camelbak with vodka or Pisco, and get absolutely shithoused on the flights. I was very sad when the TSA caught on. Did I mention I don’t drink anymore?
Last time I flew some genius in front of me in security had a 1 gallon Ziploc bag full of the little 1.5 oz liquor bottles.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So this topic is becoming more real. We've invited my parents to visit us in August. They live in coastal Oregon (very low prevalence), have been engaging in safe habits, and usually drive when they come out to visit anyway.

What we decided on is that ~3 days prior to departure both of them and both my wife and I will get COVID swab tests. Any positive result would call this off, of course, and with that time buffer then presymptomatic cases would be evident as well.

Not foolproof what with asymptomatic infections and non-100% sensitivity of testing, but I think it's reasonable.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So this topic is becoming more real. We've invited my parents to visit us in August. They live in coastal Oregon (very low prevalence), have been engaging in safe habits, and usually drive when they come out to visit anyway.

What we decided on is that ~3 days prior to departure both of them and both my wife and I will get COVID swab tests. Any positive result would call this off, of course, and with that time buffer then presymptomatic cases would be evident as well.

Not foolproof what with asymptomatic infections and non-100% sensitivity of testing, but I think it's reasonable.
That's pretty much the definition of about the best you can do. The problem is that you guys can be as self-aware and cautious as possible with your own behaviors.

Then some asshole at a gas station sneezes in your dad's face on the drive out.

This relies on other people's behavior. It's not good.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

Who's motivating the visit, you or your parents?
My in-laws, who are local and in their 70/80s, are a mixed bag.

Kate's step-father is high risk due to breathing issues so, other than one awkward across the yard BBQ dinner, I haven't seen him since march. He's not going into office or really leaving his house, which is causing other issues re mobility/mental sharpness due to the isolation etc.

Her mom is going into their law office daily to keep practice afloat. All cases still handled remotely so no courthouses.
She also does shopping etc having tired of relying on us. There's no telling her what to do.

Her father cruises around, works and comes over here to take boys for their weekly burrito run and walk dogs.
Always masked up/distanced but he basically doesn't want to waste his remaining days cooped up at home and has always had a 'what will be, will be' attitude about mortality.

What's your plan once they arrive?
You still headed to hospital for work daily? Are they quarantining at your place or will they be moving around town?
I imagine they want some experience with the girls.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
They want to see my girls, and my girls like having people to see other than us + the cats. In a typical year we'd go stay with them for 5 or 7 days in June or July just to hang out.

They've been doing pretty well on their own out in Oregon, puttering around in their big vegetable garden, spotting eagles in the trees, etc. but it's still good to have interaction as long as they don't catch teh SARS.

I'm not super worried about exposure at work at this point, as what I've been doing (mask when not seated at my computer with physical distance from people, wiping everything down in the morning) has kept me COVID free thus far.

They'd probably stay put at my place (and my sister's the week before that) save for the odd grocery store or takeout pickup trip.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So we are doing this.

MIL visiting from Seattle in about a week. She will drive out, staying overnight in a motel with touchless app check in.

Then second week of August my parents are coming out. They’ll be driving from Oregon as usual. We dropped the testing requirement for everyone since my sister was being a pain in the ass (not atypical for her), plus it wouldn’t really change risk as my parents are staying with her for a week first. It’ll be like a mini quarantine of sorts, and any presymptomatic infections would declare themselves over that period.

In the meantime I’m ok with my own habits (work, grocery, take out, mountain biking with masks for the first three when not alone in my office), as I’ve tested negative x 1 via PCR and negative serology x 3 (Quest self pay, through work as they surveyed us all, and via blood donation). What I’m doing is good enough given the population around here, apparently.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
So we are doing this.

MIL visiting from Seattle in about a week. She will drive out, staying overnight in a motel with touchless app check in.

Then second week of August my parents are coming out. They’ll be driving from Oregon as usual. We dropped the testing requirement for everyone since my sister was being a pain in the ass (not atypical for her), plus it wouldn’t really change risk as my parents are staying with her for a week first. It’ll be like a mini quarantine of sorts, and any presymptomatic infections would declare themselves over that period.

In the meantime I’m ok with my own habits (work, grocery, take out, mountain biking with masks for the first three when not alone in my office), as I’ve tested negative x 1 via PCR and negative serology x 3 (Quest self pay, through work as they surveyed us all, and via blood donation). What I’m doing is good enough given the population around here, apparently.
That all sounds reasonable to me.
Life goes on.

My CO plans however aren’t looking good.
Wanted to RV out with family but finding time for that is tough not to mention cross pollination issues.

Younger bro has been in hospital and older bro needs help getting some related shit done.

I’m not flying anywhere so it may come down to solo Rambo road trip mission. Not excited.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Keep us updated if you make it out. Mountain Lion loop is in order for sure.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I will probably be back on the road for work shortly, but luckily most customers are still very restrictive about letting outsiders in...

My biggest concerns are travel delays caused by airlines playing reindeer games to keep flights full, travel delays by passengers who get flagged not to fly (symptoms, no mask, etc.) and accessibility to decent food. Catching COIVD-19 is a concern, but pretty avoidable via actions that I am 99% in control of.

Already had a discussion about the food issue. Colleague asked me why I was worried about food, because McDonalds and Wendys are still open. That guy is dead (to me) now...
Two work related trips in the last three weeks:

Socal - direct flight PDX to SNA. Everyone in both airports and planes wearing masks. Small handful of folks in each airport who couldn't fit their noses in the masks. I did not touch a thing in the plane other than my seatbelt buckle. No food or drink in the plane or airport. Just wore a mask and carried handsanitizer, but was very careful about what I touched.

Restaurants in Socal were open, but only for take-out or outside dining. One person/party allowed in the store at a time to order. Some places would take your order at the door. Lots of online ordering. Pretty safe in terms of social distancing I thought. The amount of fucking trash that I generated eating three meals of take-out each day for a week straight was sickening.

Nebraska - PDX to ORD to LNK. People in PDX and ORD were all wearing masks. More gomers in ORD with noses out of masks, but not bad. Snacks in the plane came in a plastic bag and it was pretty easy to avoid touching risky stuff. I waited about an hour before eating the snacks to avoid having my mask off while everyone else in the plane had theirs off as well. Not sure how much of difference that made, but it didn't hurt...

Lincoln (LNK) was a little sketchy. Lots of people with masks over one ear, under the chin, etc. Work was OK. It was interesting to read the restrictions on mask types at the customer facility. I was essentially in a YUGE machine shop, so the main concern was not getting mask strings caught in moving machinery...hadn't thought of that...yikes!

Eating in Lincoln was a fucking free for all. My morning coffee stop was pretty serious about safety, but lunch and dinner places apparently got the memo about COVID-19, but didn't read the whole thing. Somewhat limited inside seating, but not enough to social distance. Business as usual for outside dining. Picking up food for take out in a mask actually earned me some dirty looks! Lunch the first day was the worst. Crowded mexican place with customers. Begged out of group lunches after that.

SARS-bola testing is covered by our corporate insurance...but only if you have all of the SARS-bola symptoms. I might run over to the local testing site and see if I can just expense a test...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
MIL has stated that she's ok with us flying back to Seattle for winter break. This is good, IMO, since driving would be a pain in the ass, not to mention potentially volatile weather in that season.

Our plan: occupy 1A-1B, 2A-2B. Board last. Masks on whole time. Get at least adults tested once in Seattle and don't interact with those other than MIL until those results come back.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
still wanting to go to europe....

younger brother has had three diving trips cancelled...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
And if you can't trust an airline executive, who can you trust?

:rolleyes:
f1 driver odds of dying at any single race in the 60s. 1 in 300.

numbers as proposed by airlien exec.
1% odds of infection times 1% mortality.... about 1 in 10000 chance of dying by boarding a plane.
likely 1 in 500 if over 70 and male, roundtrip

so, grandpa .... go for a 180mph flat out drive for a couple hours in old spa or nurburgring, with no seatbelts on a tin can in between 40 gallons of gas, or board that jetblue flight ?

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
On the plane working for the man. Crazy how much nicer travel is when the airports are empty and the planes arent 110% booked. Just gotta try not to get the 'rona...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The progression of this thread is pretty humorous to read from the beginning.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
summer run....fly to vegas june 23...figure something out....fly back july 8th.

repeat in the fall possibly....

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
No travel until everybody is vaccinated, and then it is immediately off to California so mi esposa can see her mum.
Exactly a year ago we took a little road trip to Tofino. Saw this sign in Nelson. I’d love that haircut now...

Attachments