Quantcast

travel?

Woolleyfooley

Monkey
Mar 12, 2006
warwick new york
i was thinking of buying a 66 to go on my new rocky switch. its a left over 05 that my shop had so it has 6 inches rear travel and currently 6 inches front. would it be alright to put a 7 inch travel 66 on there? i know it will make my geometry a little slacker but its got a 67.5 degree head angle now. i know the other switches have 6 inch rear travel and 7 inch up front but the head angle is still 67.5. will it mess it up a lot if i put on a 7 inch travel fork? will it just mess up my bike over all? by the way its the switch sl but it came stock with different specs (has dhx4.0, mavic 325, z1 fr 1, sram x.9) so its more freeride than they say it is on the site. thanks for your help guys.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
it should not mess things up too much. however, you just bought the bike. are you already unhappy with the fork? what was on it? which 66 are you going to (2005/2006 VF/RC)?

Woolleyfooley

Monkey
Mar 12, 2006
warwick new york
it came with a z1 fr 1 (rebound adj. and eta). i dont have a problem with the fork but thats probably an upgade id like to do when i get better, and i wanted the info for future reference. as for what fork im looking for id prefer an rc/rc2x. id only get an 05 if i could find a nice used one or a left over new one. thanks for your help.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
if you get an 05 7" you will be jacking the front way up. there is more than an extra inch of travel to that fork. the axle-crown measurement on that it tall, almost another inch.

ride the bike until you push the limits of what it can handle. then look. the z1fr1 is a great fork. the eta is great for climbing. the suspension quality is top notch too. the 66 won't be much of an upgrade.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
gemini2k said:
is there much of a difference between rc and rc2, cause i was debating between a 66 sl and a 66 rc2x
I think so, i'm sure. the rc has the resevoir while the rc2 has the resevoir and flick lockout. i think the rc2 is linear and the rc2 tops out moderately.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
you can probably do it. check with the mfg for their feelings on the subject. you can probably do it even if they say not to. zedro ran an old stinky that kona said could only handle a 5" fork. he had an 8" shiver.

Woolleyfooley

Monkey
Mar 12, 2006
warwick new york
i actually think im gonna leave the bike the way it is (with the exception of small upgrades such as chainguide, 8 inch rear rotor etc.) and then save up my money and then in a couple years get a long travel (8 inch plus) bike for extreme freeride/dh and use the switch for light freeride/heavy trail riding.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
hey alex, good job hitting the tree today..i swapped my brake levers..and then messed up my new front one..go figure..

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i just raised it top, you can get like 7 inches, its sick..i want to try, i ordered 2 brake bleeding kits so i hope i get it, i need to find a ride though..i am going to nag this girl to give me a ride, since my one friend's bike isn't together..maybe my aunt will pick me up saturday night...decisions decisions!..i'll give her a call today and then i'll let you know..i'm getting a portable storage device for my helmet camera so i can record you hitting the tree.. oh and i'm getting better, stronger pads, and i mwant to hit the 8 footer