Quantcast

Travelers Rest Pumptrack

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Calling all experienced diggers and builders.

We need help shaping and revamping the Pumptrack in Travelers Rest this weekend. come help lead our volunteers in guiding them in the ways of dirt.

Pumptrack Jam starts at 6pm

Food and beverages provided

Date: Saturday July 7
Time: 1-5pm
Where: Gateway Park Travelers Rest SC
Behind Sunrift Adventures

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Well Butch is out, but nobody expected him to show up anyway. If anyone else is not so afraid of a little sweat, the track could really benefit from a good turnout tomorrow! I will not be there because I am elsewhere working on a trail job, but don't worry, I paid my dues with a 12 hour day last sunday moving all that dirt in 100 degree heat. The track should be really cool once it is groomed, shaped, and packed in (ridden!). I made an effort to make the entire thing bigger and more support in the turns so you won't start running into short rollers so fast in the bottom straight. Got rid of the slow twisty turns and used the dirt to build a step on step off over the main drain in the bottom straight. Just needs some water, some love, and a lot of tire tracks so step up people!! If we trailbuilders can work full time in this heat, you guys can handle 4 hours. I'll be suffering building xc trail at Lake James but will be checking in on Gateway Park on Sunday night to do some flow checking.

The workday will focus primarily on tuning in the original loop that we updated but I also added a new flow line intended to be ridden downhill with some small tables and some monster S berms. The dirt was moved really quickly by machine and was very very dry so this addition is in dire need of grooming and packing. If there is a good turn out, it could all be running by tomorrow night.

Last edited:

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I will be there, but I really don't like to sweat as much as I probably am going to tomorrow (I sweat profusely, then stink!)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Mueller, no disrespect. G-Vegas is too far for me to come.

But you have gotten my attention on the Lake James loop. My home county sucks unless you like to fight _ _ _ _or ride bikes. Link? Info?

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
It was Blazin hot out there on Sat. It definitely a lot bigger than it was...... (MUST GET DJ BIKE). Still have half of the track to do that the vols didn't even touch. Jarret said Mueller was going out there last night, not sure if they were working or not.

Prefacing this with I know nothing about pumptrack building in the slightest and not an attack on anyone's building skills, but I don't see how the two rollers in the big berm are going to work. Just seems like running it CCW and hitting that first roller will boot you out into the middle of the track. The first part of the berm is tight running that direction.

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
It was Blazin hot out there on Sat. It definitely a lot bigger than it was...... (MUST GET DJ BIKE). Still have half of the track to do that the vols didn't even touch. Jarret said Mueller was going out there last night, not sure if they were working or not.

Prefacing this with I know nothing about pumptrack building in the slightest and not an attack on anyone's building skills, but I don't see how the two rollers in the big berm are going to work. Just seems like running it CCW and hitting that first roller will boot you out into the middle of the track. The first part of the berm is tight running that direction.
Still in the works. Wont know till we ride it. THe 2 rollers were there before. We just added more dirt. So for you guys that ride out there. bring a shovel and shape. Let me know if you do cuz i can use the hours to go towards the 20% match we have for the grant.

Also if someone has a hookup in the area for dirt let me know. I am looking for 3 to 4 dump truck loads of good clean dirt. Not the free dirt with extras(gravel glass asphalt) we got from the county.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
FYI that used to be THREE rollers in a berm. Roller at the bottom of the turn needs to be seriously downsized/altered...machine operator was not getting what I was going for there. Handwork will fix it...I'll get out there and make some tweaks when I have time off of my actual job.