Quantcast

Travelling with bikes

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Hey all, I'm travelling on Delta from SeaTac to Boise at the end of September and want to bring my bike, a Gary Fisher Hi Fi Plus, I think we weighed it in at 29 lbs.... Anyone travel with their bike recently? Could use some pointers.

Thanks! :help:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Be careful to check what the size and weight limitations are for Delta. You can quickly end up paying a lot of money to bring your bike if you are not careful. A normal bike box or even most travel cases are too big. Most likely its better to split into two boxes and then put your luggage into the box together with the bike and use that as protection. This should keep weight and size down. Remember to reinforce any cardboard with plenty of tape.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I've said it before and I will say it again. As an airline employee, I strongly encourage shipping via FedEx, especially if your flying SEA to BOI. Thats (most likely)not real Delta, thats a regional airline that doesn't have any room in the cargo hold to begin with. If you know where your staying already make arrangements to have your bike shipped and held for you.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Be careful to check what the size and weight limitations are for Delta. You can quickly end up paying a lot of money to bring your bike if you are not careful. A normal bike box or even most travel cases are too big. Most likely its better to split into two boxes and then put your luggage into the box together with the bike and use that as protection. This should keep weight and size down. Remember to reinforce any cardboard with plenty of tape.
This...I fly with my bike often...2 bigger duffles with clothes pack like this:

-Frame with clothes in one bag with support in the rear dropout
-wheels/fork in another with clothes

I also got some 1" foam froma fabric store that i keep on the bottom of the bags...Just flew my bike to whistler for free...and it typically works that way anywhere i go.

For the short flight like said above shipping is a really good option.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
This...I fly with my bike often...2 bigger duffles with clothes pack like this:

-Frame with clothes in one bag with support in the rear dropout
-wheels/fork in another with clothes

I also got some 1" foam froma fabric store that i keep on the bottom of the bags...Just flew my bike to whistler for free...and it typically works that way anywhere i go.
Don't you get grease all over your clothes?

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Thanks guys! I found a solution! I found people I know who are driving out there this weekend, and then another friend who is driving out there a couple weeks after my trip. They will get my bike out there and back--I totally lucked out! It'll suck to not have it for a few weeks, but that's why we stock our garage full of bikes! I've got a spare!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I'm shipping my bike to myself while i'm at the academy in NM. It's going to cost around $100! I remember back when I shipped my bike to myself in Okinawa for about $30 back in 2000.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Don't do it... They can't be trusted. They will try to hide thier contraband in your stuff. Don't ask me to write letters to the turkish consolate. I warned you....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I've said it before and I will say it again. As an airline employee, I strongly encourage shipping via FedEx, especially if your flying SEA to BOI. Thats (most likely)not real Delta, thats a regional airline that doesn't have any room in the cargo hold to begin with. If you know where your staying already make arrangements to have your bike shipped and held for you.
Of course a Fedex employee will say, "As a Fedex employee, I strongly encourage you to fly with your bike!! We beat the hell out of everything!!"

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Of course a Fedex employee will say, "As a Fedex employee, I strongly encourage you to fly with your bike!! We beat the hell out of everything!!"
Well sure. But when you ship with FedEx your bike is insured and a lot more likely to actually get to its destination. An airline is going to tell you to go fvck yourself.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I just said a prayer. Heading to Whistler in the morning...

How long are you staying? I'll probably see you in the lift line this weekend! I have a black helmet with pink on it and ride a Rocky Mtn Switch!

And good luck flying! My friend taking the bike over for me didn't work, so I'm back to square one, although Pesqueeb may have convinced me to fedex it over.

I'm starting to wonder if I should just rent a bike while I'm over there. We'll probably only ride one day with my uncle and friends who live over there, so if I can find a shop that rents a similar bike to mine, it'd sure be a LOT less hassle! Might get to climb at city of rocks if we have time too! Stoked!