Quantcast

Travis Triple AIR

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
No it's not a new fork (but it should be :) )

I've got my new fork 2 days back:

And that's sitting at 565mm A2C for the 203mm/8in travel (as low as it gets without flipping the upper crown) but the frame has some space behind the headset so no issues there - it's as low as my Boxxer and feels twice as stiff.

It's pretty sweet as far as damping is concerned. It does need moar shims or more like 7.5W oil to slow down the LSC or maybe some more air pressure over the IFP but I'll work it out. I have my first ride out of the way and the fork is pretty active a bit more than what I'm used to and it's a little under sprung for me so I'm thinking not to spend the $ for a new spring but get it pi(u)mped up and have it hit the Boxxer's weight (Two birds with one stone :) ).

I've looked at some Marzo ATA systems and I noticed they don't have an air negative spring but rather use a metal spring in the other (left) leg - they do feel a bit sticky at the start but once on the trail it does not matter that much so that's my starting point. Having a (metal) sprung fork sealing the system could prove to be an issue so I'm considering to just swap the positive spring with an air piston.

As far as the piston goes I'm thinking a setup with two glide rings and an O-ring between them to seal the system - and here I start asking questions :)

Do I need two or I can get away with one Glide Ring (like the IFP Setup)? - I would like to run a minimum of one to have the setup as stiff as possible.

Next issue is progression. I could run it open to the top and have the large air chamber AND make it easy and cheap or I could reduce the volume by sealing the system at the end of the spring top rod - Manitou has it to push against the spring from the top. So... witch one would you go for (RS has the big volume Marzo has them pretty small)?

If I run the big volume air chamber I'll be left with oil level for progression only so... what would you do if you ware me?

I'll be glad to hear your/any thoughts on this :cheers: