Quantcast

Travis?

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
So I cant decide wether to get a boxxer team or a travis triple ti for my orange 223 race bike. I was wondering if people on here have ridden the travis's and what theythought about them. I have always like manitou's products...But I have heard rumours of them being extremely tall forks and also problems with the dampening...just want to know who has any experience with them?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Damping. and I don't know about the Travis personally, but I love the damping on my Dorado. But I'm not as impressed with the damping on my Minute.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Damping: To control the compression or rebound stroke of a suspension component.
Dampening: to moisten with oil on your suspension component (see Boxxer seals)

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
you guys are all really cool....why dont u stop being computer nerds...and tell me something useful about the forks!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
search noobie. i have been on one all season without a problem and am waiting for a new one to arrive. and yes the stance forks had some problems but manitou fixed them. every fork company has a ****ty run or 5 (see marz, rock shox, fox, rst haha)

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
They look awesome. And the intrinsic damping sounds like it's gonna be killer. I really want one but don't have the cash. If you are worried about height buy the 7 inch. There is no need for more travel than that in the front anyways.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
bballe336 said:
They look awesome. And the intrinsic damping sounds like it's gonna be killer. I really want one but don't have the cash. If you are worried about height buy the 7 inch. There is no need for more travel than that in the front anyways.
Ahh yes, the old reliable E-speculation post. :p

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
dude is it really that big of a deal... just drop it

and I would need to get the 8 inch version because i have 9 inches of rear travel....

anyone else that rides one or has ridden one and if so on what bike?

dexter...im no noob, maybe to this forum but not to other forums and riding...anyways what bike did you ride yours on and did it ride really tall?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
gangstamaxx said:
dude is it really that big of a deal... just drop it

and I would need to get the 8 inch version because i have 9 inches of rear travel....

anyone else that rides one or has ridden one and if so on what bike?

dexter...im no noob, maybe to this forum but not to other forums and riding...anyways what bike did you ride yours on and did it ride really tall?
Haha don't let them get to you Gangstamaxx. It is a RM pet peave/inside joke. :)

All I know is that my FORK(S) DAMP(EN)ING works great! No I don't have a Travis but I feal your pain. :) I haven't know anyone around here that has had a Travis....there probably isn't a great availablity of people to comment.

I will wait until I see one in person before I say anything but the pictures of the fork look cool. :thumb:

Rhino

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
gangstamaxx said:
Rear travel doesn't have much to do with front travel. I know plenty of people riding 9 and 10 inch bikes with 7 inches in the front and it feels fine. If it is a tall fork (which it is) then the 7 inch would probably be a more proper height. Or you could run Manitou's flat crowns rather than the drop crowns.

Also Jm_: My post is based off the fact that Intrinsic damping is supposed to feel like spv with less of a platform at the top so it has a less "harsh" feeling. I ride a sherman slider right now and know what the SPV feels like. Having less of a platform at the top would be a great improvement. Although it is not a major issue for me a plusher and softer fork could be nice in some situations. So yeah I guess you could call it E-Spec or an inference based off of information given out by the company and the riders.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Dexter, I guess is riding an Sinister R9(look at his sponser list)

The Travis, from what I heard is going to be a good fork. Alex Morgan(BCD Racing) told me he ordered a few for himself, not sure which kinds, but I bet the 170 MM version. I'll ask and if he has it, I will ask him to do a write up. If your willing to wait, you might start finding used, cheap(er) ones. Also, wait a while untill it's more a mainstreem fork like the 888 and then you can get a better oppinion.

If you have 9 inches of travel in the rear, it doesn't mean you HAVE to have 8-9 up front. Sure it balences(sp?) out a little, but 7 up front would be fine. I rode 7 up front and 9 in back for a few days untill I put my 888 on my Ventana El Curevo. Either way, if its a sick fork, I wouldn't worry which one you get.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
well i run it on a r9. i had the 8 inch version but found that its too much travel for my style of ridding. it wasnt too tall and this was coming from running a sherman slider + on it before

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
yea the front and rear travel matching up dosen't matter especially with the 223 having crazy geometry adjustments. i run a slider plus thats been converted to tpc and its an insanely low fork with maby a 13.5" bb.