Quantcast

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Somehow I have space to put in a treadmill.
And this summer has not helped make the fat monkey even a thinner monkey. 114 temps and my love of sleep has not helped in the weight loss pursuit.

Anyone have a treadmill they like? Something I can fold up would be cool, but not 100% needed. The GF and I would both be using it. I've got shot out knees and her hip is a little jacked, so something that can take the weight of a large man and not cripple me would be nice.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you cannot drag your worthless ass outside to run what makes you think a treadmill will work? Treadmills are like rollers, people who cannot ride do not use them, people who cannot ride enough use them. If the heat is really what is keeping your from exercising find a place to swim.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I keep my treadmill at the gym. I used to use the hell out of the gym treadmills but have been running a ton of miles outdoors since I've started marathon training. Getting on the treadmill now bores the bejesus out of me. Still a great way to burn calories though.

If you want to lose weight, I suggest you first put down the goddamn fork. Running won't help at all if you're still eating like a linebacker. Put the bottle away too. Losing weight is easy if you're disciplined.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Treadmills are the most expensive clothes hangers you can buy. I have an idea...ride a bike.
:stupid:

My wifes 1100 dollar elliptical trainer does a great job of holding clothes. Too bad her fat ass won't get on it. :rant:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have an adjustabe ramp angle elliptical trainer to torture the crap out of me. I set it to switch from 9* to 17* and back, with a resistance increase every 3 minutes. I can make 45 minutes before I am absolute toast. That and ESPN of the tube in front of me works. I only use it when I can't get out in daylight.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm using it mostly here when I can't get out in the daylight, which for me is May 1 to October 15. The heat here just kills me, makes me want to ball up and die. Just not used to it, and being 250 makes it worse.

Think I am going to try a bunch on and find one I like this afternoon.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Jog at night and pack heat. Safety and fitness and freedom. Be sure to stretch pre-weaver stance. Don't want to pull a hammy.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Jog at night and pack heat. Safety and fitness and freedom. Be sure to stretch pre-weaver stance. Don't want to pull a hammy.
I don't know if I love "freedom" to be that much of an Arizonan. I had to run with guns for 4 years. I don't mind hiking or riding with them, but jogging with my 1911 is gonna mar up my child birthing hips.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
If you want to lose weight, do weight bearing exercises, like squats, lunges, lifting weights, etc. You burn calories for 24 hours after lifting weights. You burn calories for only 20 minutes after running.

I dropped 10 pounds in 2 months with little or no change in my diet by lifting and doing weight bearing exercises. My wife (an exercise physiologist) got me on a program that we do at home. The exercise routines were designed by a woman for women, but they work well for men, too.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you've got bad knees, why in God's name would you run?

Jesus invented the elliptical for people like you. And if you use it, it will kick your ass. I use 'em on business trips and vacations because exercise bikes fvck up my spin. They are great workouts.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
If you've got bad knees, why in God's name would you run?

Jesus invented the elliptical for people like you. And if you use it, it will kick your ass. I use 'em on business trips and vacations because exercise bikes fvck up my spin. They are great workouts.
Elliptical are nice, but imo nothing beats a rowing machine when it comes to delivering ass-kickings.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
We have a rowing machine already in the work out room. I need both. Gotta row in the AM, run in the PM, and do some lifting. Gotta get pretty again.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
My wife's tread climber delivers this week, will let you know how that thing works.

For me, I've lost 16 pounds splitting oak logs in the afternoons. Lumberjack is a heck of a a workout.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Instead of giving a smart ass comment..... I will give a good one

First off bad knee's equals a treadmill that is a clothing stand..... as much as they can offer low impact floors.... its just not good on the knees.

Now as for losing the weight..... There are only two things you really need to know...

Build lean muscle......... that means lifting..... it doesnt mean lifting massive amounts... it means repetition.

Cardio...... you got to add cardio... but dont max your heart rate..... go to the gym... read the chart on the equipment..... run your heart rate at the fat burning level..... go for an hour.......... Youll peel fat off fast......

If your going to get equipment for hope... get the eliptical....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dirt...if you use torrents....look up never gymless.....

it should help.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cardio...... you got to add cardio... but dont max your heart rate..... go to the gym... read the chart on the equipment..... run your heart rate at the fat burning level..... go for an hour.......... Youll peel fat off fast......
/QUOTE]

That is BS. Yes, effort above the fat burning rate will not result in more fat burnt during the workout. Higher efforts will however increase your metabolic rate resulting in more fat burnt for the day. Higher efforts will also improve cardio fitness and the resulting health benefits.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
That is BS. Yes, effort above the fat burning rate will not result in more fat burnt during the workout. Higher efforts will however increase your metabolic rate resulting in more fat burnt for the day. Higher efforts will also improve cardio fitness and the resulting health benefits.
If you can do a LSD workout, you can frequently also not have your body screaming for any kind of fuel, and lots of it, when you're done working out.

I eat like a frigging horse after high intensity workouts, and usually into the next day as well. Long slower base miles don't affect me that way.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Elliptical are nice, but imo nothing beats a rowing machine when it comes to delivering ass-kickings.
qft.

Honestly, treadmills and elliptical's are for paraplegics and cheating soccer mom's. You want better fitness? Change your diet and get a rower. Row and do pushups, situps and airsquats. If you're "husky", the best thing you can do for your fitness is to drop weight. "Ab's" are made in the kitchen not in the gym.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
/QUOTE]

Your responce was to someone who has now lost seventy pound in four months and in perfect health currently...... Its not BS..... Its fact.... Like someone else said.. a hi intensity cardio will make you crave fuel, while your burning more, you will also be intakig more and feel massivly hunger..... Been there done that.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Your responce was to someone who has now lost seventy pound in four months and in perfect health currently...... Its not BS..... Its fact.... Like someone else said.. a hi intensity cardio will make you crave fuel, while your burning more, you will also be intakig more and feel massivly hunger..... Been there done that.....
YMMV but I can avoid the craving by eating a little before and during exercise. If I prevent myu blood sugar levels from dropping and I have few cravings. Grazing constantly throughout the day instead of a few meals also helps a lot.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah I eat all day long.... Never wait to eat between breakfast and lunch etc etc...... B ut when I go do a Hi intensity work out.... it makes me more hungry... ALOT more hungry......

The other side of it..... If you have a craving..... go eat what your craving... just watch how much of it you eat..... Or if you completly blow the diet.... Just get back on it next meal... But never skip a meal........

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
Instead of giving a smart ass comment..... I will give a good one

First off bad knee's equals a treadmill that is a clothing stand..... as much as they can offer low impact floors.... its just not good on the knees.

Now as for losing the weight..... There are only two things you really need to know...

Build lean muscle......... that means lifting..... it doesnt mean lifting massive amounts... it means repetition.

If your going to get equipment for hope... get the eliptical....
SO will I. I already work out like a mofo. Every fvcking day. Run, ride, lift, I do it all. But what made me lose 10 pounds this year was NOT EATING. I learned to enjoy the tight feeling of an empty stomach. Now, even when I'n starving I can barely eat half of what I used to before I feel stuffed.

Any exercise physiologist will tell you, diet has ten times the effect on body weight than exercise does.

So to DMG I say, shut your pie hole, the weight will come off.