trebuchet + college student - enough acceleration = :dead:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
From the files of http://www.stupidchildren.com/stupid_news_137.html

Student launched from catapult died after missing safety net
The Scottsman | 1 Nov 05

A UNIVERSITY student died after being hurled 100ft through the air by a medieval-style "trebuchet" catapult, an inquest heard yesterday.

Kostydin Yankov, 19, an Oxford University student, suffered multiple injuries and serious spinal damage when he fell short of the safety net.

He was on a day trip with the extreme sports club, The Oxford Stunt Factory, to Bridgwater, Somerset, in November 2002 when tragedy struck.

A jury at Taunton Coroner's Court in Somerset heard that Kostydin - Dino to his friends - was the fifth person to be "fired" by the device on the day of his death. All four people who went before him landed at the nearest end of the safety net.

Oliver Nelkin, a fellow member of the Stunt Factory, said he was "very anxious" about their safety after seeing the previous four land so close to the edge.

In a statement read to the court, Mr Nelkin said: "The first guy to be shot landed on the net, but right on the edge of it. It seemed like he was going far too slowly, too low, to even make it. It looked like there wasn't enough energy to get him there."

Mr Nelkin said other members of the group had commented on how close the others had been to the edge of the net.

"After that jump, I heard other members of the club say that they were very anxious they landed too close to the edge," said Mr Nelkin.

"Dino went out of my view for a short while and then I saw him coming down. He was in a ball and clipped the edge of the net.

"Then I heard a thump and he landed on the ground below. I knew immediately that something had gone wrong."

The machine was designed and built in April 2000 by David Aitkenhead, 46, and Richard Wicks, 34, both founder members of the Dangerous Sports Club. Last year they stood trial for manslaughter at Bristol Crown Court over Dino's death, but were cleared when the judge threw out the case because of a lack of evidence.

The device is based on the trebuchets used in medieval times to hurl rocks and dead animals over castle walls during sieges. It uses a tonne of lead weight to give a see-saw effect and propel volunteers hundreds of feet into the air. Mr Aitkenhead and Mr Wicks charged thrill-seekers £40 a ride at a field in Woolavington, near Bridgwater.

The prototype was built in Mr Aitkenhead's garden in 1998 and tested by Mr Wicks's partner, Stella Young, who broke her pelvis after bouncing out of the net.

She told the hearing yesterday: "This was the prototype which they both made together. I was one of the first people to try it. I bounced into the safety net, but then bounced out and broke my pelvis in three places."

As a result of her experience she spoke to everyone who went on the ride to warn them about the dangers.

"I told them what had happened to me and told them to make sure it was something they really wanted to do," she said.

"I made sure they realised this was a very, very dangerous thing to do," she told the inquest.

Dino was treated at the scene after his fatal "jump" and airlifted to Bristol Royal Infirmary, where he died.

The inquest, which is due to last for five days, continues.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Did you post this story because Bill Clinton went to Oxford like this dumass?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
"I made sure they realised this was a very, very dangerous thing to do," she told the inquest.

uhh, it's not obvious?

I remember when Peter bought one and landed just outside the window of a guy who just setup 1000s of dominos, right next to his hemophilliac infant and his fragile faberge egg artwork.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
At the end of the arm there is a pole that sticks out. The pouch has two long strings with loops. One loop is attached to the arm and the other is just slid over the pole. You need to play around with the length of the strings and the length of the pole to get it right. But once it is right the unattached loop will slide off of the pole during the launching stroke of the arm thus releasing the rock from the pocket.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Oh and lets just say that launching a flaming projectile into a bonfire covered in gasoline is just as dangerous as it sounds and just as fun as it sounds.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
GumbaFish said:
Oh and lets just say that launching a flaming projectile into a bonfire covered in gasoline is just as dangerous as it sounds and just as fun as it sounds.
Yeah, I bet it is.

So it works kind of like a hand held sling where you let go of one of the strings? Centrifugal force just does the rest?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
luken8r said:
my buddy was going to build a people sized one on his beach for water launchings off of his dock

That to me sounds a lot smarter than the "get out your slide rule and calculate the required trajectory to hit a net 100 feet away" method.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
jdschall said:
That to me sounds a lot smarter than the "get out your slide rule and calculate the required trajectory to hit a net 100 feet away" method.
Thats why the kid in the story landed with a *THUD*, it was Oxford and not MIT. Id bet the farm that they didnt recalculate the trajectory for the increased weight of the projectile (dumb college kid) or the anticipated increase in wind resistance from him going

"AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and flapping his arms and legs about.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I've seen this device in action on the discovery channel... the feature showed the woman in question bounce out of the net & break her pelvis.

The device is sketchy to say the least. I wonder if they'll stop now that someone has died....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ahhh yes... good ol' siege weapons. Used rather extensively in the medieval society I belong to. Of course we usually don't launch people in them.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
When I get together with a guy I know named Pete (the one that I built the trebuchet with) we are really very similar to the mythbusters because we build all sorts of worthless very entertaining inventions. Except we
a.) are much less precise, scientific, and careful.
b.) don't build things that will last but will instead eventually explode in a blaze of glory.
c.) consume more beer which results in the previous 2

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
GumbaFish said:
When I get together with a guy I know named Pete (the one that I built the trebuchet with) we are really very similar to the mythbusters because we build all sorts of worthless very entertaining inventions. Except we
a.) are much less precise, scientific, and careful.
b.) don't build things that will last but will instead eventually explode in a blaze of glory.
c.) consume more beer which results in the previous 2
Explosions are cool. Video tape it and put it on the web.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
The one item of this story that really caught my attention--they belonged to the "Extreme Sports Club." I mean, how lame is that?

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
blt2ride said:
The one item of this story that really caught my attention--they belonged to the "Extreme Sports Club." I mean, how lame is that?
Hey man, trebucheting is an extreme sport i would be proud to associate myself with, if only the sport could make its way across the pond.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Yeah, since when is getting thrown by a trebuchet considered as an extreme sport? Unless it was that bunch of idiots from Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.